BSOD during registry search

profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
edited June 2003 in Science & Tech
I uninstalled (via Add/Remove Software) a silly little trialware program whose time had run out. Nothing major - just turns jpegs into jigsaw puzzles. Definitely not a major component.

I like to browse the registry to find and delete any leftovers from the programs I uninstall. Now when I try to search through the registry using the "find" tool I get the ol' Blue Screen telling me simply "Registry Error".

Windows (XPpro) boots normally and runs fine, everything else runs fine, and I can manually browse through the registry with no problem. I did manually delete the references to the software I uninstalled (the keys were empty) but still have the problem. I don't even know if that is what triggered it since I haven't done a registry search in a while.

Any ideas?

Prof
(It's always something...)

Comments

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Do you happen to have a registry backup? System restore point? Maybe if you have the time, you can do a repair installation. If not you can alwyas use Registry Cleaner and Registry Crawler.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2003
    I was going to suggest a Registry Cleaner also.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2003
    I use a registry cleaner called NBG Clean Registry. It does the same thing - partway through the scan it BSOD's, then reboots. I also tried regclean 4.1 with the same result.

I'm going to try Blackhawk suggestion of using the system resore point. I have never used it before so I guess it's time I checked it out.

Stay Tuned;)

Prof
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited June 2003
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    System restore should work since it creates a restore point every 2 days. That's if you have it enabled.
    edited June 2003
    Used the restore from two days ago, now all is well. It's the first time I've used that feature. One thing I noticed is that the program I uninstalled is back, and is once again on its last day of the evaluation period. I'm going to see if I can figure out if that was the problem.

Thanks for all the good advice.:)

Prof
    edited June 2003

I should have added a big thanks to Spinner - I used to use the RegCleaner program, but couldn't remember which one of my many utility programs I needed to re-install after my last maintenance wipe/reload.

I also use Jouni Vuorio's Stability Tester, which is a favorite for burn-in and OC testing.

Prof