CAPCOM announces Mega Man X for iOS

UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA:Redwood City, CA Icrontian
edited December 2011 in Gaming

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    I've been hearing a lot of bad things about just how much Capcom dumbed this version down for iNoobs.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    From the sounds of "easy mode" "auto charge" "auto lock to ladders" and "cheat modes!", I expect that dumbed down is the polite way to say it.
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    In fairness it would need to be dumbed down for the horribad touchscreen interface
  • BHHammyBHHammy Somewhere in Hell Icrontian
    I think the bigger question here is, why are they -only- releasing what amounts to an HD remake of Mega Man X on only iOS?

And I agree with Basil- with a complete lack of textile feedback for your hands, much less the lack of actually having a -controller- in your hands, playing Megaman X WITHOUT the cheats...I mean, tweaks, would probably he a huge exercise in frustration for most folks.

Honestly, I can see why they did this from a financial standpoint, but from a gaming standpoint this is just stupid. Flat-out stupid.

If you REALLY want to play the original, there are TONS more ways to play it. Give this one a pass, folks.
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    I have really only one question: WHY? Why would anyone consider doing this, the game is bloody amazing as it is. This is going to be just like Goldeneye: Reloaded in the fact that its just another way for game companies to destroy the pleasant memories of my youth.

Also I agree with BHHammy on the lack of a controller, having a touch screen phone myself its already irritating as hell trying to get the damned touch-board to register properly. I predict for this game and touch games in general a rise in thrown objects.
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    Playing awesome games like this on an iOS device or android phone is a crime.

The games are awesome, buy my god are the controls bad - ruins the whole experience.
    Playing awesome games like this on an iOS device or android phone is a crime.

The games are awesome, buy my god are the controls bad - ruins the whole experience.
    Agreed. I've deleted any game other than the most casual finger-swipers on my phone because... if you have to move a sprite around on a screen with your finger, it generally sucks.

Touch interface is good for like, RTS... or tower defense. Anything requiring reaction time or accuracy? Forget it.
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    Exactly. I was so pumped when a port of the original Xmen came out on the Android market place - but after playing for 5 mins I was reminded that these kinds of games just don't work well due to the controls.

It's the same reason I haven't loaded up my phone with 100s of SNES/Genesis roms ...
    Agreed with all of the above comments.

If you want to really experience Mega Man X, pick up the PSP version (updated graphics, and a WONDERFULLY remixed soundtrack). Better yet, buy MMX on the Wii Virtual Console. I bought it on the VC a month ago and ended up beating the thing in just over an hour with all items. Felt so good.
    Jared, I have my Wiimote working on my phone. It changes EVERYTHING. With my phone and my Wiimote it's a perfect experience.

Of course, the issue is, I'm not traveling with a Wiimote in my pocket, and if I'm home, I could just play them on my PC or on the TV.
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    Only Gameboy ROM I've found to be worth playing on a touchscreen is pokemon, the rest are just too unforgiving of such imprecise controls.

Pokemon Red and I have passed many an hour of public transport together.
  • BHHammyBHHammy Somewhere in Hell Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    Oh-ho-ho. You guys are gonna LOVE this.
    So...here's a little video...

In case you missed it somehow (or didn't feel like watching the video), YES. That -is- a shopping cart "customizations" menu that you can access from in the game with the following items~

All Health Boosts (Heart Tanks) - $0.99
    All Subtanks - $0.99
    Full Armor - $1.99
    All Weapons - $1.99
    Arranged BGMs - $2.99
    Complete Set - $3.99

Bobby Kotick would be proud.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    Hey primesuspect, which phone and how did you get your Wiimote set up?
    Holy crap. That video. Those unlocks. What.... what have they done?
    Hey primesuspect, which phone and how did you get your Wiimote set up?
    Hey Drew.

I have a G2 and WiimoteController
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    I lol'd seriously I always told myself it would never happen...but its true there is now a game you can win simply by throwing money at it...