Why grown-ass men love My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic so much

Comments

• edited December 2011
    I would like to thank whoever made this article, it's kind of the only reason more than 2 people know I watch this show. It's also made me meet a lot of other fans (and even a few bronies and pegasisters)on the internet and away from it.

Just one problem, that's not how you spell Vinyl Scratch, Everyone!
  • I watch MLP:FiM with my 3 year old daughter all the time and my wife can't believe it! By the way fellas.. Fluttershy is my best pony, so much so that i think i got a crush!!
  • Pinkie is best pony......And Fluttershy.
  • C:\Users\Caroline\Pictures\imagesCAOYH7A2.jpg

Indeed.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    C:\Users\Caroline\Pictures\imagesCAOYH7A2.jpg

Indeed.
    Hi @Caroline. You need to host your image on a file sharing site, such as Minus or Imgur in order to post it on the forum.
  • This article and thread has made me a Brony and I have not watched a single show yet... Downloading season 1 now... (I don't think my internet is fast enough for a live stream... Torrents are my only option...)
  • Ok, so with the first 3 shows downloaded, I started watching. Everything was cool. I found it quite cute, till Pinkie started singing. Once that preppy pony started singing I had to put off the sound to prevent brain damage. Once she stopped, everything was cool again... So far, I like it, but Pinkie irritates the hell out of me. (As do all real life girls with the same personality.)
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    I found it quite cute, till Pinkie started singing. Once that preppy pony started singing I had to put off the sound to prevent brain damage. Once she stopped, everything was cool again... So far, I like it, but Pinkie irritates the hell out of me. (As do all real life girls with the same personality.)

You are the FIRST person I have ever heard say that they didn't like the music and/or Pinkie Pie. That's..... weird.
  • Pinkie Pie seems to get less irritating a few episodes later as I've watched on, and as her character develops she seems less of a bratty-preppy-blond stereotype combo and more of a super upbeat fun loving girl. I guess some of the characters will have to grow on me, and I'll have to get used to the incredibly super cute nature of the show. Plus, a high pitched girl voice is not present in any of the music I've ever listened to, but after 6 episodes, the theme song has gotten stuck in my head, and not in an irritating way either... Heck, I guess it is like olives, I never liked olives, but now, I can't get enough of them, I'll eat a 500ml jar of olives in one sitting...
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    Heck, I guess it is like olives, I never liked olives, but now, I can't get enough of them, I'll eat a 500ml jar of olives in one sitting...
    That, my friend, is what we call a Pony Stream

-Digi

That, my friend, is what we call a Pony Stream

-Digi
    Real talk™
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    We've tmed Real talk? Sweet.

Also I was thinking of running a stream tomorrow for anyone who needs that 'Pony fix'
  • How many shows do you guys show in a pony stream? I did watch like 6 shows in a row... (And would have watched more if it downloaded faster...)
    How many shows do you guys show in a pony stream? I did watch like 6 shows in a row... (And would have watched more if it downloaded faster...)
    We generally watch around 2 (Or at least I'm awake for two XD)

We also watch a ton of smaller commercials and whatever people want to add to the stream playlist.
    We actually watch 4 or 5 episodes per stream, you're probably just too blitzed to remember :D
    We actually watch 4 or 5 episodes per stream, you're probably just too blitzed to remember :D
    Maybe the holiday/weekend streams XD, otherwise I've got that bloody 12:30 bs, don't worry once I hit uni I'm going to stay up through the whole thing.
  • I'm reading my first fanfic, (It takes a Village.) and I find I like the fanfiction even more than the actual series! As someone who wants to become a writer and journalist, and who has read many, many books, I am STUNNED at the quality of writing. The incredible use of adjectives is what impresses me the most, followed close by the good story telling technique...
  • This show must die. Now.
    I didn't get MLP until i watched the first few episodes. Even then i just thought it was a good show, and didnt understand the community aspect.
    .... just read the ENTIRE thread. Now I get the community thing, cause this is the most awesome comment thread I have ever read.... no flames or trolls or insults....
    you guys rock! (and i almost feel like a stalker...)
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    I didn't get MLP until i watched the first few episodes. Even then i just thought it was a good show, and didnt understand the community aspect.
    .... just read the ENTIRE thread. Now I get the community thing, cause this is the most awesome comment thread I have ever read.... no flames or trolls or insults....
    you guys rock! (and i almost feel like a stalker...)
    That is indicative of Icrontic in general. Welcome! Stick around and you will see what I mean. Why not register and introduce yourself?

-Digi
  • this show has taken a huge effect on my life , so much in fact im doing a report on it for my english 4 class xD
    this show has taken a huge effect on my life , so much in fact im doing a report on it for my english 4 class xD
    Go for the gold man

*Brohoof*
  • Why is the OP so set against fanfiction? O_o There's some damn good MLP literature out there (Past Sins, Fallout: Equestria, Eternal, etc.).
    Why is the OP so set against fanfiction? O_o There's some damn good MLP literature out there (Past Sins, Fallout: Equestria, Eternal, etc.).
    I wrote my reasons why here: http://icrontic.com/discussion/comment/803546#Comment_803546

Long story short - breaking proper canon bugs me, and I don't like the abundance of sex put into a universe in which it doesn't belong.

I have read a few fanfics, though. I try to find the ones that lack that which I just described. I've read "Friendship is Tragic", "Our Last Goodbye", "My Little Dashie", "Cupcakes" (heh), and I recently started "Fallout: Equestria". They're starting to grow on me, now that I know where to look for fanfics that are categorized.
    We don't take kindly to clopfics around here.

On the note of SFW fics however I quite enjoy reading a lot of them, recently I've been making use of EQD's Simple Story Archive because they've got everything ranked and labeled so that I can see what the content is.

At the moment I'm reading a western fiction (Will edit link in later tonight) a few stories about The Great and Powerful Trixie! Fallout Equestria, Its a dangerous thing going out your door, etc, etc.
  • For fanfics, go read http://www.fimfiction.net/user/wheller

Dude's written enough in his series of stories to actually fill out five or more four hundred page novels. In his spare time...

There are a ton of fanfics out there that are really worth it and filtering through the junk is tough but http://www.fimfiction.net/story/3562/Gilda-Versus-Knitting fics like this make it more than worth it.
  • It's amazing how the words BEST PONY cause many of you to mispell words... I've seen Pinkie Pie mispelled a dozen different ways.
    PINKIE IS BEST PONY.
    PINKIE IS BEST PONY.
    PINKIE IS BEST PONY.
  • i dislike mlp im not saying the storyline isnt good its just that i dislike the constant cuteness its made mostly for girls not grownass men
    Dudes can handle cute, too.

Just not.. too much cute.