The "Everything is Different" Vanilla feature and bug discussion

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    lol
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    I think threads with lots of images still aren't going to the new post properly, as it's going to the post, then loading the images, which pushes down the page.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    Would love to see "Welcome our newest member..." back. It helped me immensely in my fight against spammers.
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    Just a suggestion, but I noticed the search bar is at the bottom of the page. Is it possible to move it to the top?
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    I think threads with lots of images still aren't going to the new post properly, as it's going to the post, then loading the images, which pushes down the page.
    I'm not sure I can fix that.
    Would love to see "Welcome our newest member..." back. It helped me immensely in my fight against spammers.
    Will add 'Activity' feed to the sidebar, which includes registrations.
    Just a suggestion, but I noticed the search bar is at the bottom of the page. Is it possible to move it to the top?
    Not until I improve the search (i.e. it isn't just a Google site search page).

• Certain blockquotes have too little contrast in the Dark Theme, and they appear almost white-on-white; see the converted quotes from the vBulletin days for the effect.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    When I click on the hyperlinked author's name from the main "Articles" page (site root), the subsequent link, http://icrontic.com/members/ just takes me to my own forum profile. In this case, I clicked Brian's name and ended up in my own profile.

Additionally, are we going to be seeing a return of the user/author profile pages that display a list of the articles written by that author?
    Portfolios will return, yes.
  • quake101quake101 Ohio Icrontian
    I'm a PHP developer, let me know if you need any help. :)
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Not sure if this was already addresssed:

I see a notification on my profile page that someone commented on a particular thread, but when I click on the link (http://icrontic.com/discussion/comment/818831#Comment_818831) it is broken. Maybe a spam report that got mangled/removed incorrectly?
    @Tushon Currently, activity items (like notifications) aren't context-aware, so it's not possible to go back and remove them when spam is deleted.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    I was reading CB's article and click on Life (Article published in Life) at the top expecting:

http://icrontic.com/categories/life-articles

What I got was:

http://icrontic.com/article/category/life

And that does not work well in the dark theme.

-Digi
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    We can no longer write "<4" because Vanilla interprets it as a tag.

An Icrontic meme destroyed!
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    <4
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    <4 Um, who can't???? No idea wassup with your issue.... But, I have only the default theme up and running for me.
    blah blah <4 blah
    edited December 2011
    what what the dick. I'm my OP it shows the line break freak out that always happens. Now it's not. Conspiracy.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    Is there any way to get the "# new posts" yellow box right aligned with the stars? It looks kinda meh un-aligned down the middle of the page.
    I'm a bit skeptical about the new software in general. The new format has forced me to see posts that were in forums that I never normally went to. This has caused me to branch out and find even more cool shit on Icrontic. (Crazy monsters in Skyrim, Batman Casemod, ect) Now I can easily follow multiple different categories and even further, easily follow a hand picked set of single threads. And all of this from a single page? Come on, obviously too good to be true. Plz bring back old software.

-Digi
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    Suggestion: increase font size or add background color to forum category names. They're a bit hard to pick out in a quick scroll.

Feature request: in bookmarked threads, add ability to sort by # of new posts, or an option to only show threads with new posts (mimicking somewhat the vBulletin UserCP subscribed threads usage).
  • quake101quake101 Ohio Icrontian
    Feature request: Add game server stats on the side bar. :)
    If you click on a sub category (for example: Team Fortress 2) and then click on the category at the top (Gaming located directly under the 'All' tab), you get essentially a blank page:

http://icrontic.com/categories/gaming
    No discussions were found.
    The exception is Community, that brings up all the blogs.

-Digi
    edited December 2011
    Very minor, but noticeable in the flow of linking stuff:
    In vB, if I selected some text, then click on the URL button, box popped up, I pasted in URL and got linked text. Now, If I select some text and do that, I get the text listed twice with the visible text rather than the URL portion selected, so that if I were to copy and paste, I would be putting the actual link in as text and the original text as a link.

So, this is what happens
    < /a href="test link 1">test link 1
    (with the second test link 1 highlighted for replacement rather than the actual link area)
    instead of this
    < /a href="*cursor here with nothing ready for a link*">test link 1
    (I put in the escape character to make it simpler to see)
    Fixable? Thoughts?
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    Name error :(
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    Not exactly - it's trying to show "Hawk's avatar" in the size of the avatar box, which causes it to look like "Hawl". Do you have an avatar?
    @Tushon Yeah I filed the usability of the link button as an issue on Vanilla.
    @Tushon Yeah I filed the usability of the link button as an issue on Vanilla.
    Thanks!
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    Time localization bug (I think):

Simon just posted this at 1am my time, which should be 7pm Eastern, but it displays as "ET" in the post:

But at the same time, it may just be displaying "ET" as a shortcut for "CET", or Central European Time, which I'm in. If so, recommend switching to official abbreviation of CET.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited January 2012
    The post times on posts are too summarized (or too quickly summarized, perhaps). I mean it might not matter if the posts were years ago, but suddenly all the posts from December just say "Dec 2011". Well December was still only 3 days ago, and there is a big difference between something posted 3 days ago, and something posted 33 days ago.

I see that I can hover the date to get a more accurate post time, but I think i'd rather continue to see the full date and time right on the posts when they are less than three months old. (well: I'd rather see the full date and time stick on every post forever, but I understand the desire for some eventual condensation of post times, I guess)
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    Feature request: option in profile to auto-bookmark threads you post in.

Kind of goes with other requests I made earlier. In my opinion, pop-up notifications aren't as efficient as going to a list of bookmarked threads to catch up on threads I've posted in since my last visit. Pop-ups, if I understand correctly, are better at giving you live updates of posts while you've been on the site than updating you on what's happened since you've been here.