Westcoast(Cali) -> Expo Plan

PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
edited January 2012 in Community
For all the California members...
I'm definitely going to Expo this year (June 20 - 24). Who is coming with me and how do you want to get there?

My plan is to fly out of LAX perhaps on June 20. I'm not flying back immediately after the expo because I have family to visit in beautiful Michigan. I may fly back around June 28. I do plan on getting a rental this year which we can certainly share.

Last year Ghoosdum, Nights, Digi and I flew out of LAX. This year maybe we can do the more the merrier? Lynx? Pigflippah? Other westcoast {IC}?

The sooner we plan it out and commit, the better and more likely we all go. :D

Comments

• NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    I flew out of SAN last year, you liar! What prevents me from leaving from LAX is mainly the place to stay. Since I know more of you now, this becomes easier to get around. LAX is much cheaper to fly out of than SAN is...so it'd be ideal. I'm currently planning on heading back to EPIC this year, just not sure how early I'd like to head out (18th or 19th vs 20th).

Also: How great would it be to have a mini-LAN on the planeride out, somehow. Two full rows of ICers with nothing but a 5 hour flight to keep us preoccupied with
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    Attn: @UPSLynx @Ghoosdum @pigflipper @NiGHTS @Charshie @Church4252

I'm in. I'm lookin at late night trip the 19th through the 25th or 26th.

I've been keeping an eye on Spirit airlines deals (got signed up through work, not by choice) and I have seen $29 each way flights that could 2 hop to Detroit and back. $120 round trip. It's Spirit and it might suck... but it's a savings of $200.

With Spirit, you can carry on a backpack sized bag and keep it on your lap or between your legs. Ninja and I pulled it off last year, though we had to ship our hardware winning haul back separately. Everything else there is a charge for.

I plan to pull the trigger on my flight somewhere mid March. I'll keep Cali attendees up to date on any deals I come across.

Now to buy a Gaming Laptop...

-Digi
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    I am definitely going, but unsure on plans at the moment. Obviously, I can't buy too early - I would rather get a job first before dishing out that money.

I'll probably be flying out of San Jose though. The gas money to head to LA would kind of offset the price of the plane ticket - though if I have a good job, I may be up for it just for the fun of it.

I'm going to keep my eye on this thread and I'll update you guys as I figure things out.
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited January 2012
    I live really close to the airport (LAX) but have no extra parking, we only get one tandem parking spot and that is it, otherwise I would have y'all park here and ride to the airport. Now, if you want to get dropped off here, I can make sure you get to the flight but that is the best I can offer.

I want to go this year, but I won't know how I will be able to afford it. Won't know until March, possibly mid-late April.
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    Also, flying out the 19th and returning the 25th seems to be about 20% cheaper than the 20/24 or 20/25 flights
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    And provides 20% more awesome time. What a bargain.
  • I'm not going to know until March whether I can attend this year - my wife is trying to plan the church youth group's annual mission trip, and it is beholden to the school schedules of the kids. For some reason late June is the best time for the kids, so I might be on single parent duty the week of Expo. :(
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    bring babby
  • I actually told Olivia I was considering it, but you know how much Tyke hates it when I try to play games with you guys...
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    Put Tyke in the broom closet with a Bluetooth baby monitor. Genius fix.
    We could tape him to a wall and check on him every once in a while like we do with Novak.
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    I don't know if I'm laughing about these ideas because they're hilarious or because maybe I'm a terrible person.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    I don't know if I'm laughing about these ideas because they're hilarious or because maybe I'm a terrible person.
    *Takes tempurature* Nope, just hilarious
  • I flew out of SAN last year, you liar! What prevents me from leaving from LAX is mainly the place to stay. Since I know more of you now, this becomes easier to get around. LAX is much cheaper to fly out of than SAN is...so it'd be ideal. I'm currently planning on heading back to EPIC this year, just not sure how early I'd like to head out (18th or 19th vs 20th).

Also: How great would it be to have a mini-LAN on the planeride out, somehow. Two full rows of ICers with nothing but a 5 hour flight to keep us preoccupied with
    Oh wow I did totally make that up. Stupid obfuscated memory. I personally dig the train ride from San Diego to LA. It is slow but you wouldn't have to find a place to put your car. Long Beach doesn't work because street sweeping tickets happen twice per week and they are terribly expensive.
    So I was going to shy away from Spirit Airlines because it is by far not the best flight experience you can have. Even saving $100 would not have been worth it to me knowing the amenities that are included with almost every other air line.

Now free flights? That brings in a different element. I got hooked into signing up for a Spirit (BoA) Credit Card that includes enough points for 3 round trip flights. I got accepted and it came in the mail yesterday. This opens up not only the ability to go to Expo, but a couple other IC events this year. So now that I have this and the dates are set, I will be booking my fight asap.

I'll keep this thread posted with details if anyone wants to plan around the same flight.

-Digi
    I planned to fly in on Sunday (6/17) of that week and leave the following Sunday (6/24). I don't recall times offhand, but I'm booking shortly.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    I planned to fly in on Sunday (6/17) of that week and leave the following Sunday (6/24). I don't recall times offhand, but I'm booking shortly.
    why are you posting in the westcoast thread Mr. Texas. you must be a SPECIAL boy
    edited February 2012
    I want to feel special. The TX flight thread would be lonely.

Also, /derp
  • I managed to work out the scheduling conflict with my wife, so she will have Tyke. I'm going to Expo. I am not making plans for the flight yet, just in case I have to stop in Denver on my way home.
  • So what was everyone's updated plan?

Bobby and I are flying out of LAX and connecting in Denver both on they way there and on the way back.

Los Angeles CA (LAX), US
    Wed, 20 Jun 2012, 06:30 AM
    Denver CO (DEN), US
    Wed, 20 Jun 2012, 09:44 AM
    F9 416
    Frontier Airlines Inc.
    Fare Type : Economy
    Airbus 319.
    Denver CO (DEN), US
    Wed, 20 Jun 2012, 10:47 AM
    Detroit MI (DTW), US
    Wed, 20 Jun 2012, 03:30 PM
    F9 623
    Frontier Airlines Inc.
    Airbus 318.

Detroit MI (DTW), US
    Mon, 25 Jun 2012, 07:00 PM
    Denver CO (DEN), US
    Mon, 25 Jun 2012, 08:10 PM
    F9 624
    Frontier Airlines Inc.
    Airbus 319.
    Denver CO (DEN), US
    Mon, 25 Jun 2012, 09:25 PM
    Los Angeles CA (LAX), US
    Mon, 25 Jun 2012, 10:49 PM
    F9 419
    Frontier Airlines Inc.
    Airbus 319.

Is anyone flying with us? If so, want to coordinate a ride to the airport? I plan on parking my car in the car spot off Sepulveda.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    I'm flying out of SNA but I am trying to get the same connecting flight through Denver.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    Well, now that I'm moving to LA, traveling with you guys could be a consideration. I have to figure out first, though, if I'm going to be in Indiana before Expo, like last year, or not.
  • Travel with us! We are neat! Although I guess Indiana is cool too or whatever =\
    I am on the same flight as you guys from DEN-DTW, Frontier 623.

Can I tag along with you guys in the rental car from DTW to the Tigers game/ICHQ or wherever we're going first?

Unfortunately I leave pretty early Sunday morning in order to get back by noon on Sunday. :(
    Unfortunately I leave pretty early Sunday morning in order to get back by noon on Sunday. :(
    This smells like scrotum

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited April 2012
    This smells like scrotum

No worries. I can handle the early morning flights up to Sunday. Possibly Monday, depending on what my vacation balance looks like.
    edited April 2012
    I am on the same flight as you guys from DEN-DTW, Frontier 623.

Can I tag along with you guys in the rental car from DTW to the Tigers game/ICHQ or wherever we're going first?

Hells yes! And from what I understand currently, we will probably be heading straight to ICHQ2.0, securing what we can and walking to the Tigers game.

What seat ya in?

-Digi

It assigned me 19-C but I might be able to move near you guys when we get to the airport. Where are you sitting?
    We are row 21 E & F

-Digi
    Looks like I was able to change to 21D.