Starting the Ultimate Protein Diet...

NLichtmanNLichtman Spring Valley, CA
edited January 2012 in Fitness
So, I have noticed that my stomach is getting bigger and my chin is perching itself on my neck, which makes me disgusted with myself. Breathing while lying down is beginning to become hard because of my encumbrance from my stomach. I truly am at the largest that I have ever been; and with luck and discipline, ever will be.

Therefore, on Monday, I will be starting the best diet that I have ever seen. High protein, no white carbohydrates. I have seen the results and it can cut body fat percentage to lows that many people don't even think are possible. Tim Ferris is who I have to credit for this diet.

SUNDAY-FRIDAY
My diet for each meal will have strict guidelines.

Musts:
Protein
Legumes
Vegetables
Water

No-Nos:
Potato
Rice
Fried Foods
Dairy
Fruits
Bread
Sugary Sauces
Candy
Snack Foods
Alcohol

Good Optional Foods:
Coffee (No sugar; with cinnamon)
Sauerkraut
Kimchee

SATURDAY
I will splurge and eat whatever I like. I mean, whatever I like. Snickers, ice cream, colored pencils.

As far as a workout goes, there is a small routine that should be done for ninety seconds thirty minutes after eating. Thirty seconds of air-squats, thirty seconds of wall-presses and thirty seconds of butterfly pulls with a cable if possible.

SCIENCE!
The science behind all of this "extreme" stuff is actually very simple and very effective. Protein and exercise build muscle and the more muscle you have, the more calories you burn. The more calories you burn, the more fat you burn. Making protein readily available in the body allows for more protein synthesis. Legumes help with the protein synthesis while vegetables help to increase water and mineral intake.

Sugar and white carbohydrates are the devil. The splurge on Saturdays will give me the spike in sugar that I need to keep my body functioning properly. As I said, this simple science is so simple and so effective.

Wish me luck, please.

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    You should take a look at Brian's keto post and discussion that ensued. The only thing I will pick out is your cheat day: there is no "necessity" for sugar spikes on an entire day. If you need that for your sanity, that is fine, but AFAIK, there is nothing about the keto/no carb/etc diet structures that requires carbs. You can specifically refer to ketosis and how eating carbs on a weekly basis will throw you out of that fat-burning cycle.

That being said, good luck! If you stick with the diet, have a decent idea of your caloric intake, and add the magical 30 minutes of exercise a day (even just brisk walking!), you will see the weight drop off.
  • NLichtmanNLichtman Spring Valley, CA
    Thanks, Tushon. I will take a look at that.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    I'd recommend avoiding cheat days.
    Brian, that is a very good idea in most cases.

The Saturday is there for a few reasons. It gives you a reward for yourself each week. The body needs the glucose spike to function properly unless you are using drugs. It also keeps the body from getting depressed and helps to keep you regular.

The subsequent days knock the pounds off faster and are when you see the most results. The amount of water intake guarantees that it flows through the body properly. The math works.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Unless you are at 9-12% body fat, you don't need a cheat or refeed day more than once a month.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited January 2012
    I agree with Prime and Thrax. You dont need a cheat day.

If you are simply fat and trying to lose it my advice is dont change the content of your diet drastically. Micronutrient counting isnt important to you, simply eat less. Keep it simple or it is way to easy to lose your way.

Dont drink your calories drink water, keep your calories in check, and exercise more. Your body will have no choice but to lose weight.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    There are three people here who are all successful at losing a lot of weight giving you advice contrary to what you posted. Might want to think on that :D
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    I'm going to have to agree that the cheat day isn't such a great idea. The initial temptation to eat things you shouldn't will get easier as you get set into your new diet and eventually you won't even have those cravings anymore. Having a cheat day is going to reset those temptations every week and work against you as a constant reminder that you can't have things you like. This will make it harder to stick to the diet. I'd suggest finding some other form of reward.
    edited January 2012
    Yeah, I was trying to find the study I had read but I cant. Essentially people who allowed themselves to eat their favorite foods regularly, but in moderation, ate less calories in total as opposed to people who restricted their diet to foods they didnt like and then binged on a single day. The moderation eaters also "cheated" significantly less as well.

Not that every meal should be full of refined carbs and sugar but every meal doesnt have to be a plain salad either. Just be smart and learn how to estimate portions.
  • LazarusXeroLazarusXero Illinois Icrontian
    I also will agree with Prime, Thrax and Magic. To Canti's point, substituting the savory foods you like with something else would also be effective and you wouldn't have to "cheat".

For my diet now, instead of a standard dessert, I eat a piece of fruit which gives my body some sugars, but they are much easier metabolized than the high-fructose crap in wrappers.

Also, I would recommend more exercize as well. 90 seconds of exercize is hardly enough to get your blood pumping. Instead of this, trying going out for a 20-30 minute walk each day (if jogging is difficult) and you will find this gives you more results in the end.

I had a friend that walked for 45 minutes a day with no other exercize and coupled with a moderate diet, he lost 70 pounds in a year. Granted, a year is a long time to wait, but lasting results are hardly ever gained overnight. That, and it sets a habit which become routine, which will help you keep the weight off later.

Oh, and BEST OF LUCK!!! I'm starting a crazy routine and diet now too, so we'll both be in misery together!! :)
  • JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    @NLichtman
    As someone who is quite active and has followed a moderately strict diet for a while (over 6yrs) you could ask Tushon about my dinners he's heard of consisting of egg-whites and fish only (that's not all I eat, but these are options I choose), allow me to offer just a bit of info on this stuff you posted.

I understand your need to lose the gut that you may be getting, but these "extreme" diets are extremely unhealthy and usually end up resulting in you having a worse body in the long run than when you started. No one sticks to these diets forever and that's why it's called a rubber band diet.

I would highly recommend staying active when you can (at least 3 time a week) and working on a dietary plan that you can stick to for a really long time, if not forever. It will be both satisfying and better off for you. Extreme diets also make you very irritable when beginning which is why they're also not recommended. The added stress of dieting is very counter productive to your success.

Sugars and white carbohydrates (refined sugars) are absolutely the devil. There are great alternatives to these though. For sugar, use "sugar in the raw" and if you can find it, real sugar canes cut and dipped into a cup of tea, etc... The substitute for refined sugars are whole wheat, brown, etc...the natural stuff. You're going to find that eating better is a bit costly, but the effects are astounding. You'll feel great, the weight will fall off (and if you do get lazy or on vacation) you'll see that you will put on weight much slower than people who eat horribly or take these extreme diets, you'll be more regular which is great in removing junk from your system.

Best of luck to you and I hope that the new diet/lifestyle works for you and keeps you healthy!!! =D

Just some thoughts...

Musts:
    Protein - I would recommend unsalted roasted peanuts, all-natural peanut butter, proetein shake (ONLY on days that you lift heavy weights), almonds (unsalted), fish (white fish, Tuna, or salmon) and absolutely egg-whites (either in the carton or separated from eggs). These are GREAT sources of protein for your body.
    Legumes
    Vegetables - you want to stick with raw. Cooked/steamed only in soup (all veggie soup) and with the legumes it will help flush your system.
    Water - If you're going to eat a lot of protein you need lots of water to flush your system. Your kidney's take a beating with a ton of protein, so keeping to a MINIMUM of 1/2 to a gallon of water a day is HIGHLY recommended.

No-Nos/alternatives:
    Pasta - both white and wheat. If you're going to eat these, eat them for lunch and eat the wheat/organic. Pasta is a great carb for energy, but not for eating before bedtime, lol!
    Potato - not bad to eat. I don't eat white potatoes regularly, but stick with sweet potatoes (if you like them) they're better for you.
    Rice - no white rice and not at night with dinner. If you're going to eat rice, eat for an early lunch and make sure it isn't white.
    Fried Foods - absolutely.
    Dairy - absolutely, but substitute things like milk in cereal and coffee, etc...with Almond milk. It's much better for you!
    Fruits - ??? Your body NEEDS these natural sugars. The potassium from bananas helps with cramping, the vitam C from citrus keeps from getting sick, etc...don't exclude raw fruits from your diet, this is a REALLY REALLY bad idea.
    Bread - not a lot. If so, eat the all-natural wheat or gluten-free that is almost void of all preservatives, HFCS, etc...If you choose to work out, you'll need carbs for the energy.
    Sugary Sauces - absolutely.
    Candy - absolutely.
    Snack Foods - depends on what you consider snack food. Chips, candy, etc...yes. But snacks such as granola (Bare Naked preferred), fruits, veggies (no dip), etc...no, don't give these up. They keep you healthy =D
    Alcohol - if you choose so. I have a beer every now and again or I'll have a liquor such as Tangueray and tonic. Beer
    MEAT - You will want to remove a lot of pork (high fat) and beef (especially red meat). While the beef can be a great source of protein, it is extremely unhealthy for your insides and you're better off having these only once in a blue moon. A GREAT alternative is grilled chicken breast. You can add seasoning and cook it a million different ways and it's high in protein and very low in fat.

Good Optional Foods:
    Coffee (No sugar; with cinnamon) - eh, not really "good". I usually stick to one cup of coffee a day.
    I would highly recommend Green Tea. This is a FANTASTIC anti-oxidant and does wonders for your body. I usually have about 3-5 cups a day, srsly!
    Sauerkraut - I love sauerkraut, but sticking to raw cabbage in a salad with vinegar and extra virgin olive oil is much healthier.

Again, GOOD LUCK and if there is anything to add/remove I welcome all words and hopefully you'll get even more great info from this awesome community!
  • UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN Icrontian
    I also think more exercise is needed. A minute and a half isn't nearly enough to burn calories and build muscle.
    30 minutes, per my original response

A minute and a half is enough to burn about 12 calories.
  • JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    At least 30mins, but generally no longer than 1.5hrs. Vary the two between cardio and weights.
  • That was a cool video Tushon, thank you for sharing. I also have to jump on board and say "splurge" or do whatever I want days are an absolute nono. It would undermining your own self to do such things. Meanwhile a minute and a half of cardio is ridiculous, the whole point is to get your heart at a healthy stress level for a sustained amount of time. Not spike it for 30 seconds and quit.

But hey good luck, good start.
    edited January 2012
    I should have been more clear about the exercise. The ninety seconds of exercise is not all of the exercise that I should do, I know. The ninety seconds of exercise is there for a reason. The idea is that no matter how much exercise I get, I should always do the ninety seconds. The ninety seconds helps to kick-start the process of protein synthesis.

I had planned on adding a workout routine, but due to my current situation, I have yet to figure one out. I probably should have mentioned something in the initial post.

@JBoogaloo Thank you so much for the input. The information that you have given me will be invaluable. I like the idea of a cheat day, but I guess that I will have to do more research. I like Chicken better than beef, anyhow.

@Tushon Thank you very much for that video. I actually learned more from that video than I would have if I had read about in an article or a book.

@MAGIC Thank you for expanding on what was said. It is actually more valuable to me than you may think. I you could find that study, I would be most appreciative.

@LazarusXero Good luck to you, sir.

Also, I got into the Fitocracy BETA.
    Ninety seconds of exercise won't do anything except burn 12 calories. It won't jumpstart protein synthesis. There's no such thing as jumpstarting protein synthesis. Either your body's caloric deficit is enough to metabolize it, or it's not and it turns to fat.
    edited January 2012
    @Thrax From what I have read, it is possible. However, you may be right and he may have been lying to help sell his book. I will take a look into it more in depth. Thank you for throwing up a yellow flag.
    Protein synthesis is the process of converting protein into muscle. This takes three things:

1) Carbohydrates to deliver the protein.
    2) Muscles that require protein to be repaired (go lift iron)
    And 3) A diet+metabolism that are positioned to turn the protein into muscle, rather than fat.

That's all. Anything else is bullshit. Sorry.
    edited January 2012
    When you make it plain like that, it's funny to think about what I really know about the human body. I really appreciate clarity. Don't be sorry, Thrax. You have nothing to be sorry for. If anything, I should be sorry for my ignorance.
  • Regarding the exercise topic; I read a few years ago that the average person needs the exercise equivalent of walking about twelve miles a week in order to simply avoid gaining weight.
    I mean, that is possible, but I'd say the formula works one of two ways.

Calorie intake + calories burned = net calorie amount (gain = adding pounds, loss = losing them)

You can either limit your intake and you will lose weight, or you can increase exercise. 12 miles of walking may be the average caloric expenditure of the amount people go over their maintenance calories.
    edited January 2012
    I have an elementary understanding of the thermodynamics involved in losing weight. It is impossible to gain more weight than you consume. If 3500 cal = 1lb, and you consume 2000 cal/day while your base rate of caloric consumption is 2000 cal/day, then you are gaining and losing 0.571428571 lb/day. Adding exercise at this point can only help.
    Yep, that's all there is to it. The body is a simple machine: burn 3500 calories more than you eat, and you will lose one pound that week. Eat 3500 calories more than you burn, and you will gain one pound that week.

The content of the food, and the nature of your fitness routine, determine how that pound is gained or loss in both cases: fat or muscle.
    So, how has it been going the past couple weeks?
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    I haven't said much lately but I have been on a diet (lifestyle change) for the past 5 months. I eat a lot of proteins (chicken, salmon, herring, walnuts and brazil nuts), green fresh veggies, fruits like apples, grapefruit (lots! ...great fat burner) and bananas along with great quantities of hot salsa (eaten with celery and not chips). I put hot pepper sauce on almost everything I eat to aid in buning more calories. I have also been walking 3o min 2x a day and after 2 months I went back to doing Pilates and stregnth training. So far I have lost 62 pounds and went from 226 to 164! I also feel better than I have in ages and I have been treating myself to 1 meal of my choice per week that has been less important to me every week that goes by. Right now I am eating about 1300 calories over the course of 5 meals a day just by my new habit and not feeling hungry!
    ... So far I have lost 62 pounds and went from 226 to 164! ...
    Wow well done!
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    I have an elementary understanding of the thermodynamics involved in losing weight. It is impossible to gain more weight than you consume. If 3500 cal = 1lb, and you consume 2000 cal/day while your base rate of caloric consumption is 2000 cal/day, then you are gaining and losing 0.571428571 lb/day. Adding exercise at this point can only help.
    Find your "resting caloric rate" and not assume that it is 2000/day. Mine is 1862/day. So the differance of 138 will add poundage to you over thae long haul.
  • ... So far I have lost 62 pounds and went from 226 to 164! ...
    Wow well done!