FS: Dell XPS M1730 Laptop

Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own wayNaples, FL Icrontian
edited January 2012 in Trading Post
This laptop has been lovingly cared for for three years, under extended warranty for all that time. However, I have bought a new Lenovo and do not need the Dell anymore. So I did not renew the warranty.

17" screen, dual-headed video, dual-core (Core 2) Intel CPU at 2.8 GHz(maximum, it is a speed-step CPU), 8 GB DDR2 RAM, stereo audio, DVD RW combo drive(Reads and writes CDs also), 500 GB 7200 RPM HD.

I factory-reinstalled Windows Vista on it, and the HD image loading program reloaded all needed drivers also (AFAIK). Windows will be sitting at the keyboard choice screen, then want to set up a user account, when it is powered on. Case I use to carry it in will be included in deal for no additional cost, as I will ship it in case in a box provided by pack-and-ship store. Power supply brick will come with it also, battery is a 9-cell that is about 9 months old.

$400.00 firm, shipped in Continental US only for that price. Will take Paypal payment only. I will also be advertising this laptop locally in newspaper also, so will say so if it sells there. Prefer a known trader to deal with, but will trade with anyone Prime or Leonardo endorse if no history.

John.

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    XPS 1730M should be XPS M1730, SORRY!
    edited January 2012
    I am dropping the price to $300.00 USD (absolute rock bottom price, about 9% of what I have into it). I placed an ad in 5 regional (near-local and local) newspapers today (tomorrow starts ad run for a week (7 days), 50.00 for ad run), we will see what happens.

Some more things, the custom M1730 now has 8 GB in it, up from 4 (SLI'd video shares RAM). The flat panel is native 1920x1200, the video heads are 8700M NVidias, SLI'd. The laptop has VGA and HDMI output connections on it. The laptop is Wifi and LAN (wired) equipped.
  • You might want to consider selling it on eBay - you can probably get significantly more than $300 for the XPS 1730 on eBay.
  • quake101quake101 Ohio Icrontian
    More specs on the video card, pls. :)
    Well, I could, but have had then to incur shipping and deal with reputation of buyer(and trustworthiness of him or her) to prevent being taken. I have no way to take credit cards, but Paypal will let you use a credit card backed by a bank account. I also know only a tiny amount about eBay. I also considered Craigslist, but again I am inexperienced with that.

I had a whole load of computer stuff (new and used)left over from when I had a building and repairing of computers business, so tossed a summary list of that into the ad also. Want to give someone reputable a real deal for their kid or college young person, or someone younger hankering for laptop a very good laptop that is in excellent condition.

John.
    edited January 2012
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-8700M-GT.3987.0.html

Here you go.... @quake101 The mini-card has TWO 8700M GTs on it, with a fan for each.
    Woah, how well does that work? The reviews I've seen look dated and had some driver issues.

From your real world use, how well does it play games? What games have you played on it and what type of frame rates do you get? Any real issues that you're aware of?
    Hmm, played little, that is why I avoided that. I used it more as a media/HD video playing computer without issues once I put WHQL NVidia drivers on it. The SLI card is kinda dated, yes, but at the time I bought it was state of the art for laptops. One reason the price is so low is that I did not try to bench it for modern games, the few I played are older ones (my 58 year old perspective of older) but they did not challenge it at all. I use NVidia WHQL drivers with it in Vista, but those would have to be put back in after someone like new owner creates an ID for him-or-herself. I doubt big time if it would get hugely high to very high frame rates in Skyrim with Ultra to High settings, but it is a laptop rather than a desktop.

A true gaming desktop that would run $1,800 USD to $2,500 USD would not have the issues any laptop that runs less than $3,000.00 full retail would have. This laptop, as I believe I mentioned, is three years +a little old(I talked about three years of warranty time I believe), so to a younger person the tech in it is old tech. It ran over $3,000.00 when I bought it after a $1,000.00 plus discount from Dell-- they were getting ready to close out that M series of XPS laptop even then, though the laptop was brand new and not a refurbished one or a Dell Outlet laptop sale. I then spent another $800.00 on it in Warranty extensions, and more RAM-- had to buy 8 GB from Crucial (Micron Technology SO-DIMMs) and replace the 4 GB in it, which is now in Mom's computer.

I am doing this here so all can see what I say and type (yes, mutter to myself as I type :) ). I would rather not get into a flame war here as to how game-able it is now compared to latest tech, so am being patient but want people aware of what they get into before they buy with false expectations.

If you or anyone wants to check me out, see my site at http://johndanielsonii.name or http://www.johndanielsonii.name and if you want to email me do it through the "Feedback Welcome" links on some pages (near bottom of some pages). This is my way to keep from getting hugely spammed, sorry fir the inconvenience.

John.
    John,

Thank you for your post, I wasn't trying to start any type of "flame war" and I'm sorry if you got that impression from me.

I was just simply curious about the gaming part of the laptop as I might be purchasing the unit for when I travel. I would mostly play games like TF2 on it, nothing high end as I'm aware it's dated hardware. ;)

Thanks,
    Joe
    John,

Thank you for your post, I wasn't trying to start any type of "flame war" and I'm sorry if you got that impression from me.

I was just simply curious about the gaming part of the laptop as I might be purchasing the unit for when I travel. I would mostly play games like TF2 on it, nothing high end as I'm aware it's dated hardware. ;)

Thanks,
    Joe
    Ok, I wanted to make clear up front that this thread was not going to degenerate into anything at all flamy (flamish?) and I did not know you. Thanks for clarifyng your position. I think for what you want it for it will do an excellent job. And I do not know how to beat the pricing :) .

Even though this is a great price and I believe it would do everything I want it too. I'm going to pass on the deal, money is way too tight these days. I wish you luck selling it. :)
  • allenpanallenpan ThunderBay, Ontario, CAnada Icrontian
    same here, i wish it does support 1066FSB, does it? if it does i will be all over it...
    edited January 2012
    Its FSB is actively running at 798 according to CPU-Z , and the CPU is running at 798 with a multiplier of 4. I do not know the detailed potential of the FSB support, but know there were faster CPUs available for it when I bought it. There is one PCI-e x16 socket, for the NVidia mini-card. The CPU is an Intel Penryn X9000M.

John.
    edited January 2012
    Ok, I give up-- need to sell so price is now $250.00 USD. This laptop is in excellent condition, compare to an eBay value of $600.00+.
    edited January 2012
    Laptop has sold locally. This thread can be closed.

John.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    Done, Thanks John.
This discussion has been closed.