Tough Mudder 2013

TushonTushon I'm scared, CoachAlexandria, VA Icrontian
edited January 2012 in Fitness
So, following in the footsteps of @LazarusXero, I am going to be training for the Tough Mudder race in 2013. I wanted to give myself plenty of training time to cope with any injuries that may occur and shed these extra pounds well before race day. The 2012 race is late in March, so I'm guessing next year's will be at the same time (inb4 12/12/12).

My training plan at this time is C25K with my first race 5K on February 19th. 5K to 10K training with a 10K in June, then working my way up to a half-marathon from there. I'll maintain that distance (or maybe keep going if I'm feeling saucy) and do a half marathon ~September and again in December.

For strength/cross training, I'm doing the 100 pushups program and will begin using the tough mudder training program after that. I imagine I'll be in the gym with some more structured training as well, but I definitely want the whole body exercises offered by the Tough Mudder workout.

For diet: initially, I am going to be going for keto diet (unless someone comes along and tells me otherwise) and have my first 6 days of food ready to cook tomorrow. I plan to use this to help shed the excess weight, which will help with exercising and general health. After I get to something closer to my "ideal" body weight, I'll begin morphing that into either a paleo-ish diet or maybe something like the P90X eating plan. I haven't gotten there yet.

Any thoughts or recommendations are welcome.
DocFrazier

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    You're going to try cardio on no carbs? Dude, good luck.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    That was kinda what I was looking for. What exercise is keto friendly? (that is just curiousity)

I need a structured diet plan or I won't do it right (at least, for the next few weeks/months to get me in the right frame of mind), so if you have a suggestion, it would be much appreciated.
    Muscles need sugar to work, because they are a machine. Every machine needs fuel. No carbs = no sugar = shitty work.

There is no keto-friendly exercise. Just exercise that is marginally less miserable than another. But if you want to shed pounds and train to race, you have to eat carbs.

Keto is not a magic bullet, it doesn't help you lose weight any faster than you would with any other kind of diet. It's no miracle. It's more likely that your body will be in a position to burn fat on keto, but if you burn 3500 cals more than you eat in a week, you're going to drop a pound, plain and simple.
  • LazarusXeroLazarusXero Illinois Icrontian
    I have to agree with Thrax... if you are going to be running and trying to get into strength training, you'll need the carbs... Remember, carbs aren't bad, just wasted carbs... If you are running several times a week and doing a basic workout you will start to lose weight regardless... If you keep carb intake down (not completely out), you'll start stripping fat off your body quickly as well... I'm currently doing P90X2 and training for my TM in May (in MN) and a 200 mi. relay in June... with that in mind, I'm definately NOT cutting out all carbs from my diet... that leads to burnout...

I'm currently on the P90X2 "Fat Shredder" diet plan for the next 2 weeks... It is a balance of 50% protein, 25% fat and 25% carbs... With this in mind though, the carbs are fruit/veggie based and the diet has almost no grains (I'm only allowed the equivalent of 1 slice of bread a day)... For a carboholic like me, this is VERY hard, but the foods offered in the P90X2 recipe book are all fantastic... But even the P90X2 guide says it's not a good idea to stay on this plan for more than a few weeks as you will hit the wall and start losing the needed energy to keep up with the plan...

The next plan is the "Energy Booster" plan which is a basic balanced program of 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fats... this is a good plan no only for working out, but for an everyday balanced diet... again, restrict grains and keep giving your body veggies and lean meats... and when going towards carbs and fats, make sure they are of a good variety and not based in sweets and solely breads...

Finally, regarding your workout, given that I've suffered through the TM once already, do more than pushups... You've already looked through the TM training program so that's good... Structure your workouts around building up your core muscle groups and this will help above all... This doesn't mean just situps though... Use stability ball exercises, balance exercises, etc... as you will need core musles more than just a ripped chest and arms...

BTW... where are you doing the TM and when? Perhaps we could entice other Icrontians into joining you (or if it's close and you don't mind a straggler, us) and make it a crazy IC event!! I would definitely be up for watching others struggle through fire, water, mud, electricity and more...

Good luck!
    Thanks for your input, Laz.

RE diet: I'm definitely going to be looking at other structured eating plans more in line with what you are using/recommending. I can follow plans, but am terrible at self-planning currently.

RE exercise: Yeah, I'm only doing the 100 pushups as a prep FOR the TM workout.

I'm planning to be doing it in Dallas around March/April 2013, so pretty far from most IC peoples. I think @_k_ is going to do it and I'm working on recruiting some people from work. This may change if there is a work change.
  • JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Tush,

I will send you an email or you can call me (or vice versa) and I will provide you with a plethora of great information for working out that will not only help build your cardio, but also get your muscle stamina to a GREAT level. Muscle stamina is key for TMs. We can talk more if you'd like. I'm not saying that I know it all, but I have a ton of info and diet plan to give you if you're interested.
  • UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN Icrontian
    Just signed up for a Tough Mudder in IN on June 16th! I'm kinda scared... but at the same time, I can't wait!
  • waxwax the neroberg Icrontian
    ran mine last weekend! had a great time and a few minor injuries. healing and training up soon since i signed up for the indiana tough mudder in june! :D
    Grats to both you guys! For planning and doing, best of luck!
    Well, time to revive this thread since I had my 6 month checkup post surgery and got the all clear to begin high-impact exercises (slowly). Starting with slow jogging on a treadmill, upping speed and incline over time till I can get "major distance" and continuing (restarting) some of the specific exercises I was doing to strengthen ankle. Won't be TM2013, but I did sign up to volunteer for them. Here's to getting healthy.
    JBoogalooprimesuspectLazarusXeroDocFrazier
    Glad to hear it, dude! Good luck on your TM2014 progress (maybe late 2013?)!
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Just a PSA - despite it not being mentioned on the website (though it may be by now) you DO have to be a competent swimmer in order to participate in the event.
  • RexxarRexxar Maryland Icrontian
    I wish you luck Tush getting back into shape for running is not easy, especially if you have been severely injured. I would highly recommend getting some music and try running at a park when your body is up for it. Makes the workout a lot more enjoyable in my opinion.
    Yep, I was aware of the swimming level needed and planned to use the pool and bike at my gym for cardio switch ups so it isn't all running. I definitely use music to help the time go by.
  • LazarusXeroLazarusXero Illinois Icrontian
    Annes said:

Just a PSA - despite it not being mentioned on the website (though it may be by now) you DO have to be a competent swimmer in order to participate in the event.

Not necessarily so... I've done 2 of the TM's and at each they said that if you can't swim or if you don't feel like you could do the swim, just walk around the obstacle... they don't want the liability of someone dying just to prove they have guts...

Now, with that said, and combined with the fact that I can't really swim, I did the two TM's and neither had hardly any swimming... it was more of a jump off of a high platform and rigorously doggy-paddling to the other side...

fatcat
  • DocFrazierDocFrazier Gladbrook, IA Icrontian
    edited May 2013
    Home. So here is the request, would one of you much more healthy living inclined feel like giving me the break-in to building a rounded diet, something like the 40/30/30 all around diet listed above. I've just about hit my target weight, and i'm ready to start working on core and muscle building. I try and run about 3-4 times a week, but I haven't added any weight training yet. Got my first mudder under my belt on May 4th, and my next one is June 9th. Then the Hard Charger for eastern Iowa is on July 20th. I plan to stick to the fun runs for this year, and I'll see where I and my group are come next year to see about pushing for good times.
    Read all of this, then ask any remaining questions.
    DocFrazierRyanFodder
    Thank you for the link @Thrax
    It's a great resource. It's probably the best collection of up-to-date, no bullshit, myth-free diet/exercise advice out there. It tells it exactly like it is.
    Went for a 6 mile run today, kinda on a spur of the moment, I was on the trail and said, I'll just run to my buddies house in the town next to us... Was Awesome, I can't say I've ever been able to do that before in my life, excepting maybe right after boot-camp (though never tested). Whoo! Also my next Mudder is next Sunday! also... Whoo!!!
    TeramonaJBoogaloo

Reboot edition: my renewed training, basically from couch potato level, will begin anew with my move to Alexandria VA next week to start working at The Motley Fool with @Annes and @pragtastic‌ . This will be good!

This will serve as my official IC announcement that a Qualifying Life Event™ has occurred.

RyderJBoogalooAnnesEMT
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian

@DocFrazier said:
    Went for a 6 mile run today, kinda on a spur of the moment, I was on the trail and said, I'll just run to my buddies house in the town next to us... Was Awesome, I can't say I've ever been able to do that before in my life, excepting maybe right after boot-camp (though never tested). Whoo! Also my next Mudder is next Sunday! also... Whoo!!!

My house somehow is located just so on my street that if I do a full loop around my neighborhood it is near enough exactly 1mile (maybe .99). So I usually do that on my twice a week jog. Every so often I am just like, I feel like I can do another loop! Then another! I think my best so far was 3.6 miles, which I was thoroughly surprised with so I know how you feel.