The "Everything is Different" Vanilla feature and bug discussion

Comments

• QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    You rock, @Lincoln. Awesome work!
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    If a guest posts, apparently they are allowed to put "blah" in a box that then links their display name to "blah" (Our mad guest Thomas gives us an example here.

-Digi
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited January 2012
    @BobbyDigi That's expected behavior so guests can link to their Twitter or whatever. It's got a nofollow on it.
    I just enabled a Vanilla feature. When viewing a discussion, it will now automatically add comments made while you're viewing the page. The delay is 5 seconds.
    edited January 2012
    We have spoilers again
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2012
    <3
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    You just spoil us Matt
    Significant change / update coming tonight.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Significant change / update coming tonight.
    So, everything will be different?
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    The Icrontalypse
    I've noticed something, ironically with this thread, that when it should be going to the most recent post, it is actually some number of posts higher. I don't see it occurring on most threads. Cache problem?
    @Tushon I haven't noticed this. Could be cache, I dunno.

Everyone: I just deployed a new version of Vanilla & a ton of updates to Icrontic. Refresh caches, etc if you notice weirdness.
    Vanilla Changelog:
    • Allow toggling between mobile and non-mobile site when on a mobile device (previously would get stuck if you went to full site)
    • Pagination added to before comments
    • Moderation options moved to "gear" menu that appears on hover
    • Comment form redesigned
    • Icrontic's template modifications were put into core
    • Moderators may now comment on closed discussions
    • Users may now delete any post they have permission to edit
    • "Mark All Viewed" fixed to work with caching (that's why it broke here)
    • Fixed bug where announcements would show up when new comments were auto-fetched (hopefully you never saw that since I only turned it on earlier today)
    • Added gender-neutral option for registration
    • Moderators may now search for users by UserID
    • Improve YouTube embedding to allow www and allow #t= start time in URL
    • Lots of cleanup / clarifications to Dashboard options (moderators)
    • Announcement messages work a lot better
    • Lots of smaller bug fixes
    Icrontic Changelog:
    • Adding sharing bar that appears when you scroll down an article
    • Who's Online: Switched to avatar-only view & limited to only main discussions / categories pages
    • New slicker workflow for writers (chat & custom whiteboard embedded in same page)
    • Removed OP from subsequent pages (blah, too much scrolling)
    • Reverted all template customizations (yes, this is now completely stock Vanilla with only the power of plugins & CSS customizations)
    • Fixed WordPress category pages to be legible
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    I approve of these changes.
    The click-to-add-HTML buttons that assisted users in formatting comments appears to be MIA.

Otherwise...

@Thrax Refresh harder. I had the same issue at first, dunno why.
    Had to nuke the cache and refresh very hard a few times. Whatever. Nice work.
    What in the bloody hell is this? I was just surfing the Introduce yourself discussion thread when this popped up with a big ol skull an crossbones

FATAL ERROR IN: DiscussionController.__construct();
    "The "DiscussionModel" class could not be found." LOCATION: /storage/websites/icrontic.com/library/core/class.controller.php > 878: } else { > 879: $this->$Property = new $Class(); > 880: } > 881: } else { >>> 882: trigger_error(ErrorMessage('The "'.$Class.'" class could not be found.', $this->ClassName, '__construct'), E_USER_ERROR); > 883: } > 884: } > 885: } > 886: BACKTRACE: [/storage/websites/icrontic.com/library/core/class.controller.php] PHP::Gdn_ErrorHandler(); [/storage/websites/icrontic.com/library/core/class.controller.php 882] PHP::trigger_error(); [/storage/websites/icrontic.com/library/core/class.dispatcher.php 262] Gdn_Controller->GetImports(); [/storage/websites/icrontic.com/index.php 56] Gdn_Dispatcher->Dispatch
    My fault. Was doing live debugging.
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited January 2012
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    edited January 2012
    Found one (possibly two) bugs: The original post of every thread will have super small text if you have the "I like to squint" option enabled (duh!). All other posts have normal size.

The second bug disappeared as I tried to reproduce it (cache problem on my end?), but I'll try to describe it: when using the dark theme the area between the "Icrontic is joining the strike..." and the headline of an article (in this case the one about THQ downfall rumor" would be just one black box, with the Google +1 option, reddit "like" or w/e, retweet and Icrontic logo just stuffed into it. Disabling and reenabling black theme fixed this for me, so again, I suspect this might have been on my end, and not with the site.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    I've noticed something, ironically with this thread, that when it should be going to the most recent post, it is actually some number of posts higher. I don't see it occurring on most threads. Cache problem?
    It happens in any thread with images in some of the posts. The more images, the worse it gets. I think it's loading the most recent post, then loading the images, which push the posts all down.

My fault. Was doing live debugging.
    Alright, I kind of freaked out when I saw it, thought my computer was going to explode or something (Seriously skull and crossbones freaks me the hell out especially when it pops onto my screen)
    It happens in any thread with images in some of the posts. The more images, the worse it gets. I think it's loading the most recent post, then loading the images, which push the posts all down.

Ooo that sounds like it might be the winner, as I also noticed this on the "what are you drinking" thread, which is replete with images.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    I've been noticing that periodically, my notifications (for this thread specifically, haven't seen it for any others) tell me that I've been mentioned in a post when that hasn't happened.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited January 2012
    I tried to put "Lower Price" in my thread in the trading post about my laptop for sale. I thought since the gear was there by title (in ALL view) and dropped an Edit option down when I hovered over it, I would surely have PERMISSION to do this. Apparently NOT. The next thing I saw was a Permission Problem screen telling me I did not have permission to do this-- WTF?!
    I've heard that using multiple question marks actually fixes problems by itself. Entire lines of them have been known to cure cancer.
  • ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????. ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????. ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????. ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
  • Also, actual bug report:

I'm getting notifications that someone has mentioned me in a thread, but in the post there is no @ to me. There are mentions of other people though.
    If there are no @'s in the post I just get the standard 'x has commented on y' notifcation. Nt sure if important, but this is in a thread I started.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    As mentioned above, I'm seeing the same thing periodically.