AfterShokz Sport bone conduction headset review

mertesnmertesn I am Bobby MillerYukon, OK Icrontian
edited January 2012 in Science & Tech

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    This might be something I will buy, partly because my ears have an allergic reaction to some foams and I never know if an earpiece will have one of those kinds until too late-- after I buy them.

Unfortunately, I am NOT kidding, have gotten in and on-ear headsets, have about 4 now, which I cannot wear without ears oozing gunk that turns into hard granular stuff. I am on a 1-week regimen of antibiotics and hydrocortisone OTIC liquid now for the latest outbreak. Another good reason for a product like this....
  • When I'm out and about I have to use open air headphones, I like to hear my surroundings. This may be perfect for me.
  • GargGargoyle Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    How comfortable are they? My problem is that I've got a huge head, so a lot of headphones don't fit right (all rear-wraparound sets included). Something like this would be good for cycling or the gym. Bluetooth would be even better.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    How comfortable are they? My problem is that I've got a huge head, so a lot of headphones don't fit right (all rear-wraparound sets included). Something like this would be good for cycling or the gym. Bluetooth would be even better.
    I have the same problem, and they're pretty comfortable. The band is flexible so it should fit just about everyone.
  • BasilAndrew Brush Nubcaek England Icrontian
    Is that an inline amp or just a volume control?
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    Can you wear them for extended periods of time? The reason I ask is for good sound transfer, most of these bone conduction types squeeze your head tightly and end up giving you a headache after a while. Initial comfort apparently doesn't always mean they're comfortable for multi-hour wearing as I understand it.
    Is that an inline amp or just a volume control?
    It's an inline amp.
    Can you wear them for extended periods of time? The reason I ask is for good sound transfer, most of these bone conduction types squeeze your head tightly and end up giving you a headache after a while. Initial comfort apparently doesn't always mean they're comfortable for multi-hour wearing as I understand it.
    I wore them for the duration of the flight from LAS->OKC, which is about 2.5 hours. They were comfortable the whole time. They don't squeeze tightly either, and they're certainly more comfortable than any on-ear headset I've ever worn. Usually on-ear headphones cause headaches for me because they push on the back of my glasses just behind my ear. No such problems with the AfterShokz.
  • I wonder if they affect people with fillings, because given the structure of the skull loud vibrations may jar the jaw bone
    I wonder if they affect people with fillings, because given the structure of the skull loud vibrations may jar the jaw bone
    I can't speak to that. No dental work. Sorry.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited January 2012
    I can't speak to that. No dental work. Sorry.
    You're a magical man.

• What about sound leakage? Our office is dead quiet... would any sound or noise leak out of these and annoy coworkers?
    I'll get a non-listener's opinion this evening when I get home.
  • Great! Hoping for some good news, thanks :)
    If you're listening to music loudly, someone will likely hear it if they're within about five feet of you.
  • So I guess listening at an average level in a quiet office environment wouldn't be an issue for others? Interesting!
  • I've actually decided to order a set for my desk at work, and perhaps for when I get my tubby butt working out again. I can't wait to try them out.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    The AfterShokz Gamer is no longer being manufactured, sorry to say.
  • GargGargoyle Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    You still use these, @mertesn? Or have regular ol' headphones won you back?

What I really need is a bluetooth headset, but I'm considering these too since they'd be good for cycling & jogging.
    Gargoyle said:

You still use these, @mertesn? Or have regular ol' headphones won you back?

I still use them, but only if I don't need a microphone. Since they don't actually sit on the ears, I can still hear what's going on around me. If I want to fix that (read: ignore what's going on nearby) I have earplugs that go in while using the Aftershokz.
  • Can you still use the headset (listen) while it is charging?
  • I have looked everywhere for an answer on whether or not you can still listen (use) and charge them at the same time.