Returning member needs help folding!

MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
edited January 2012 in Folding@Home
Hey everyone! It's Ricky if any long time members remember me from a few years back. Things sure have changed at Icrontic! Wish I could say the same for myself...but anyway, I just recently got my core2quad machine back up and running and just got back into folding (for team 93 of course! :D), but I've got a weird problem. I don't think my passkey is working right because my units are only worth 644 points. Before when I was folding on this machine I got more points based on how quickly the work got sent back.

I do use this computer for a lot of gaming and stuff but I figure it should still put out 2500 points a day, right? Can anyone help me out with this? I tried fixing the passkey a few times even making sure I typed the name case sensitive.. I'm still folding on my old name TheGr8est12003. Speaking of old names..there would I be able to get mine changed here? o_O

Sorry for the wall of text but I haven't been here in quite a while! Thanks!

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    omg ricky! Welcome back, man!

What would you like your name changed to?
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    Hey prime!
    Medlock =)
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    Updated name! Welcome back.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    Ricky, welcome back.

Right now you have 5 WUs turned in and making about 1 a day. I would guess why you are getting just the base value of the WU is because you do not have enough WUs turned in with your passkey since the last change they did for time bonus. If you would give me what Project numbers you are getting, should be listed at the top of the log when the WU starts and look something like P####(A#, A#, A#). Also if you give what the average time frame between %s I can see what you should be making.

If you don't want to compute that stuff manually you can install and run HFM.NET or move to a different f@h client called FahTracker which is a complete GUI for all clients and automates a lot of stuff for you like restarting clients if they crash out.

Since the big change for time bonuses you have to turn in 10 WUs after the change with your valid passkey, everyone had to go through it.
    Ohh..I wasn't aware that I have to turn in 10 units. That makes sense now. I have been running HFM. The one it's crunching now is Project: 7506 (Run 0, Clone 160, Gen 52). If HFM isn't lying to me then it's worth 706 points and at the rate it's going now (9:30-10 mins per frame), with the bonus I would get 3400+ points but like I said I use this computer for gaming. It does run in the background though, and since it's always cool and quiet, I leave it running overnight as well.

It's a q6600 at stock 2.4

Thanks for explaining that. This is the third unit since I put in the passkey so it'll be some days at least til it kicks in I guess. Thanks k!
    You have the right base for that but when I check that WU with http://linuxforge.net/bonuscalc2.php I get 5k ppd(5,036) given your average TPF.

If you are using HFM you can always go back and check earlier WUs to see which ones you already processed and what their base value is to verify this is what is going on.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    What's a passkey?

I went and grabbed the console version, set it up, and walked away. I come back and it's turned in a bunch of units for which I got no credit, and it looks like it crashed on top of that after a few days.
    http://fahtracker.com/ This client can run all clients in windows, and it restarts a client if it crashes.

http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-passkey

If you think you did not receive credit for a WU kill the client and restart with argument -configonly to double check the config it is using has your username and correct team number.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited January 2012
    @Lincoln: Passkeys are unique identifiers that are required to receive bonus points. I agree with @_k_ that you should double check config, because you should have received something for turning in WUs. If it crashed, there may be a problem with your configuration or your system may not be folding stable (which is not to say it won't run other things great).
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    Medlock, please keep us updated. We'll take care of our team members. :)
    edited January 2012
    Sure thing! It's been working on a big one for a long time now..oddly enough HFM doesn't seem to know what it is. It takes about 20 mins per frame when the computer's otherwise idle. Even worse, that bonus calculator k linked seems to be down right now. Also, this should be the 8 or 9th unit since I last configured it so the bonus won't kick in with this one. It's Project: 6098 (Run 7, Clone 6, Gen 55) if you're curious. :)

Edit: This is definitely the 9th one so soon I should be getting bonuses :D
    It would appear you have not loaded HFM.net with current projects (work units) database. Go to Tools and click on "Download Projects from Stanford." That will load HFM with the latest work unit data. The Bonus Point Calculator should be back up. At 20:00 TPF, not taking into account finished work unit upload time, a 6098 will be about 6000PPD with bonus. I don't know what it is without bonus.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited January 2012
    The bonus is related to how many units you have turned in under your passkey, not on a per machine basis. So, if you are just starting with this passkey, that makes sense and @Leonardo is correct that you probably need to download the stats.

"Briefly summarizing our bonus formula, the bonus is applied for users who have a passkey, have successfully returned at least 10 bonus-eligible WU's, successfully return >=80% of assigned WU's, and return the WU before the preferred deadline. Bonus points do not apply to partial returns." Source

EDIT: I think I wasn't reading the comments right, but I'll leave my "for clarity" comment in case anyone actually needs it.
    Yeah I already tried downloading the database but it still didn't update that unit. I pulled another like it (6097) a couple hours ago. I just looked up stanford's page on their "currently running projects" and it's nowhere to be found, which would also explain why HFM doesn't know what's going on :p I just looked at my log cause I expected to see points for it by now but it seems my client spent the last 12 hours failing to send in that WU and get a new one. Were the servers down? :scratch:

One other thing just came to mind: I'm folding with -advmethods. Would that explain why I'm getting unlisted units?
    Server problems: yes.
    I'm folding with -advmethods.
    It is possible new units, in this case, are circulated before formal registration.
    After finishing a WU (6098) for 1593 points, the next one (a 6097 i mentioned in my last post) got me 6867. Yesterday a WU with a normal value of 643 turned in for 3464. I think it's pretty safe to assume my passkey bonus is in effect now! :D The one it's working on now is finishing very quickly (5:20 tpf) and will turn in about an hour for ~1600 points ;)

Thanks everyone! :thumbsup: