Hellish Power/Sound Issue

QuadWhoreQuadWhore Toledo, Ohio, U.S. Icrontian
edited January 2012 in Hardware
So, during a improv recording session with a friend and I, we were experiencing some rediculous sound problems. We were getting this obnoxious crackle-meets-hiss-meets-hum noise, and well... it caused a lot of problems. I've looked into a lot of things, including power conditioning and ground loops, however, I'm not sure what the hell I'm supposed to do. Here's a sound! :D
Feel free to enjoy our improv demo song on there. Its pretty comfy.

Also, why isnt there a general tech category? Aren't we all nerds with interests besides computers? :P

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
  • QuadWhoreQuadWhore Toledo, Ohio, U.S. Icrontian
    Thanks thrax. A move is greatly appreciated.
  • TrumandrummerTrumandrummer Taylor Michigan Icrontian
    Could you describe your set up?
    What is your interface, or are you using your sound card?

It could be a number of things, from a ground loop, to just having a low line level input causing it creating a high signal-to-noise ratio.

First and more obvious, start by checking to make sure that all of your hardware has its ground prong intact. Next make sure that all of the plugs are in the same circuit.
    If recording into a laptop, leave the power cable in but pull the battery. (Try these first, if that doesn't work then lets go more into depth on ground loop)

You can also test your wall outlet to make sure that it has a working ground using a "AC outlet ground tester"

If you are using a PCI card or other recording interface that uses an RCA input. Try an RCA ground loop isolator, you can find these at more local stores for around $5-15.

Ground loop happens a lot and can either be a real easy fix, or a big pain in the arse. In simple terms, if two or more devices are connected in more than one way it can create a loop. There are many ways to fix this.....

Test one thing at a time to see what item or items is causing your problem. The solution for a lot of people is to use a simple 3 prong to 2 prong adapter, or just pull off the ground on your power cord (better to buy an adapter, for obvious reasons). Pulling the ground off is irreversible, and can harm your equipment, so its better to get the adapter.

You can also get a ground loop isolators instead of buying a 3-to-2 adaptor. They are made so that you plug your power cable right into them and it fixes the problem while keeping your ground prong intact. Try these things and let me know whats happening and hopefully I can help you in more detail.
  • QuadWhoreQuadWhore Toledo, Ohio, U.S. Icrontian
    edited January 2012
    Hey man, thanks a ton for the help.

I'll start by giving some basic information, then I'll give our full rig. So, first off, we're recording 2 channels at once, with two amps, both with lines out. I'm using an audio interface.

Rig;
    Wall ->Furman Conditioner -> Amp & Power For Effects -> Focusrite Scarlett Interface Channel 1
    Wall ->Furman Conditioner -> Amp & Power For Effects -> Focusrite; Channel 2
    ---->Into Ableton

I've determined that this noise of death is originating from the second Amp's Line out. When unplugging this amp, it removed the noise (with both amps going into ableton simultaneously), as well as just removing the cord from the line out. However, from the first amp, I am getting some humming. Which sounds like;
    I have it in two volumes, normal gain and high gain, using mastering. This is with the amp off, then turning it on in the middle of the clip. Anyway, I want to make sure if this is normal or an issue, as it has been bugging me to death. In the normal gain version, it's mostly inaudible, but it is still hearable (to me at least) when close to a speaker. I understand the concept of amp noise, however I do hear some hum in there.

Thanks for the help.

Edit; I've seemed to worked out the second amps slight hum.
  • TrumandrummerTrumandrummer Taylor Michigan Icrontian
    Nice choice on interface, focusrite preamps sound amazing.

Having two amps always seems to give people problems. it creates terrible noises that people just assume should be there. If you unplug one amp and record into the other it should be fine and vice versa, so to use both at the same time use the adapter to get rid of the ground prong. That should work just fine rather then spending $50-$100. Ill link you to a video I found explaining this sort of problem. Just be careful to remember to unplug them during storms or when not being used.

He explains almost your exact problem.