Time for a new computer

BetsyDBetsyD Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
edited January 2012 in Hardware
My laptop is 4-ish years old... it is having some video lagging issues and just generally acting like an old computer...

So I'm looking for recommendations for a new laptop, and I know the people here know a lot of different computers :)

What I do: Word, Excel, Steam (sims and puzzle games, nothing too intensive), Internet (Facebook, Icrontic, Facebook games, Forums). I connect my heart rate monitor via IR, so a built in IR port would be awesome, but I do have a usb ir port now. I have a lot of pictures, but no music or video (I have 250GB hd now and still have 100GB unused)

Price limit $500 (less is better).

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    Ok, I tend to stick with Intel, so look at some of Best Buy's deals this week if there is one near you. They have a Toshiba laptop for $329.99 which uses a AMD processor, and at least one Intel based laptop at right about $429.99.

Let me get this week's flyer.... BRB.

The Toshiba uses a dual-core E-300 processor, has a 15.6 inch screen, and 4 GB DDR3 RAM, and 320 GB HDD.

The Toshiba Intel-based laptop has very few specs in the flyer, and I am 20 miles away from the nearest Best Buy. CPU, i3 quad-thread (dual-core, EACH core multi-tasks parallel 2-way) CPU. HDD 320 GB, 4 GB RAM, 15.6" display.

There is also a Samsung laptop, and an HP that is $449.95 that is a Quad-core CPU (AMD Vision logo is shown. It also has a 17" display. It has a 640 GB HDD.

All these laptops have Windows 7 Home Premium on them, and all prices are pre-tax, and if you order from the website they are pre-ship also. None of the spec sets talk about IR or USB, but you can expect USB ports, so your IR thing MIGHT work if the software and drivers work with Windows 7.

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2012
    I work for AMD, so it's time to engage shill mode.

We make a CPU called the AMD A-Series: A4, A6 and A8. Each one has a successively more powerful GPU built into the processor. For the pricepoint you are looking at, only AMD makes processors with the graphics horsepower to play your Steam games. For desktop stuff like Word and Excel, any CPU made in the last 5 years will do just fine, so you can see that the AMD A-Series is more than capable with that stuff too. And finally, we can play your HD YouTube videos and Flash games without stuttering, which is something that cannot always be said for the other guys.

With all that said, I highly recommend this Lenovo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834246302 -- it will do all the things you're looking for, at the price you're looking for.
    Here is one right up Thrax's alley for feature set, but a bit bit faster and boasts a larger HD (750 GB) and faster per core CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834246304 . At $519.95 it is a bit higher than your $500.00 limit but looks well worth it if you can spend a bit more than $500.00. Same graphics as the one @Thrax referenced.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    BetsyD, I have computers with AMD and some also with Intel processors, as well as different brands of graphics chips. I use whatever accomplishes what I need to do for the best price.

Thrax is right on the money. Intel makes some excellent CPUs ("processors") but their graphics capabilities are very primitive. You did a fine job of explaining your computing needs. That is exactly how every person who wishes to upgrade should start their search. I think you'd be very happy with the laptop Thrax selected. You can't come close to that in performance for that price with any Intel-based offering. Strraight_Man's selection is also dandy.
  • quake101quake101 Ohio Icrontian
    I don't know if you bought one yet or not but I seen this on sickdeals today:

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/67912/walmart.com-lenovo-thinkpad-x120e-laptop-amd-fusion-e350-1.6ghz-11.6-1366x768-display-2gb-ddr3-320gb-hdd-radeon-hd-6310-wifi-n-6cell-win-7-prem

*AMD Fusion Processor E-350 1.6GHz
    *2GB DDR3 Memory
    *320GB Hard Drive
    *11.6" 1366x768 HD Display
    *AMD Radeon HD 6310 Graphics
    *HDMI & VGA
    *WiFi N
    *Webcam
    *6-cell Battery
    *Windows 7 Premium
    $298.98

Bump up the RAM in that for ~$20. :)
  • BetsyDBetsyD Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
    I bought the one Thrax recommended last night. It was a good price and looks like a good computer... I'll post more once I get it. :)
  • quake101quake101 Ohio Icrontian
    I bought the one Thrax recommended last night. It was a good price and looks like a good computer... I'll post more once I get it. :)
    Yes, it's a good choice. Keep us updated once you get it. :)
  • BetsyDBetsyD Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
    So I've had my new laptop for about 48 hours... except for a couple pieces of software that I need to dig out the discs for (really what company doesn't have the download on their website in today's world) its all set up and my docs and pix are transferred over.

All in all I'm pretty happy with it. It didn't have much bloatware installed (McAfee and a couple Lenovo branded things), and it was all easy to uninstall. All of my steam games (or the 4 that I've played rather) play much better on this comp then my last one.

Overall I would recommend it to most any non-power user. :)

Thanks Thrax for the recommendation.
    Happy you are happy with it so far. :)

John.