FS: Old laptop with Fedora Core 16 Linux on it.

Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own wayNaples, FL Icrontian
edited February 2012 in Trading Post
I will burn and include a FREE Fedora Core 16 Linux DVD with it(It at least has a DVD/CD-RW in it.). It has only 2 GB RAM, but that is the max it will take. This for anyone that wants to play with Linux or learn it. I have it working reasonably well with a Core Duo Centrino mobile CPU (Intel). It has a modem, a 14.5" display, and a Network port, and working sound speakers and microphone and plugins for headphones and microphone that also work(for Linux non-newbies, Fedora uses Alsa primarily to do this). Battery works well. UBS 2.0 of course, no USB 3.0. It will power off right, suspend right, and hibernate right. Default Fedora desktop is installed, as Gnome has less demands on RAM than KDE 4+ does.

$50.00 plus shipping with battery charger/power supply and old case. Why am I doing this??? Parts cost about, and the RAM upgrade kit meant I spent $38.45 on RAM for 2 SO DIMMS (lifetime warranty from Micron) because it had two 512 MB SODIMMS in it. Might go to $40.00 for a worthy person who wants to dual boot it to XP Pro(supplying their own copy of XP Pro data, there is still a sticker on bottom of it with a valid XP Pro key), but it is somewhat long in the tooth(RAM limits, especially) for Vista even, as it is now about 7-8 years old if you want to run anything major in Vista (Smallish games would work on low settings).

Comments

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    Interested. What would we be looking at shipping to Ca 93551?

I'm out of town 'til Saturday then I'll take a closer look at what I could do with it.

Thanks,

-Digi
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited January 2012
    Ok, I think that shipping would be roughly $15.00 (plus-minus 3$) with delivery in 3-5 days (3 day select UPS), more for air. I am in Florida, it costs me about that much ground to ship something about that heavy FROM Ca. I have no shipping account, ship seldom, would take it to a pack-and-ship store about 2 miles from here.

John.
    @BobbyDigi : What can be done with Linux....

Lessee, LibreOffice (on computer) has a Draw program, a Writer program(quite full featured), a Spreashseet maker, a Presentations program, and I think a math formula program. It is the current development of OpenOffice that is now popular in Europe and is being more rapidly developed than OpenOffice. The Linux included has a bunch of programs on the computer already, that is just one example of a large set.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited January 2012
    I'm interested. Would make an awesome homework/web browsing computer for my son. John, can you post some pics?
    Um, would be limited and done tomorrow, my better closeup camera has very limited macroish and low light abilities. So, they might be some fuzzy. but yeah, will try to charge up the camera battery tomorrow, it charges pretty fast ( I gotta find battery charger first which may mean rumbling around, and Mom just got to sleep I hope. She keeps falling asleep reading then is unable to stay asleep if she even puts book on table after dropping it on lap (she is 81). Almost slightest noise wakes her.... Even from far end of house to here (small house)). Opening sliding METAL closet door would wake Mom, and that is where camera is and battery is, and I HOPE charger is.
    edited January 2012
    I seem to not mentioned that is a Lenovo 3000 C200 should be: I seem to have not mentioned that the laptop is a Lenovo 3000 C200. I can't edit the above post, no permissions.

John.
    edited January 2012
    I finally got the pictures uploaded, here are some links:

Left Side
    Right Side
    Back and Top
    Open view - note very bright flash

NOTE: I had to play a lot, but the links do work now from here. Had to capitalize the file extension for each file, because that was the name and extension uploaded.
    edited January 2012
    Email contact for offers, negotiations, payment arrangements, etc. is: jdii1215 at johndanielsonii dot com. Matt, please leave this here, this email is strongly anti-spammed at destination.

@Kwitko : would you like $40.00 plus shipping??? @BobbyiDigi : same thing??? I am building a dedicated Folding@Home box (somewhat modest) starting with an already purchhased bundle from Newegg that cost me $299.99 (selling both laptops will cover that) less the $10.00 mail-in rebate they should send along with order.

I have lots of smaller stuff (new and used) to sell to pay for the rest of the needs of the box, but think I will sell it locally or try to to save giving large ship costs per item to folks. Will probably post a WTB: post in Trading Post to get some of the rest of the parts, including an older graphics card and maybe a small HD-- will NOT be GPU Folding.

John.
    Yup, I want it. Was sending you a PM as you posted. Threw you an email.

-Digi
    edited January 2012
    Ok, Sold to first person replying, @BobbyDigi . Can we do Paypal???
    Sure can. Throw me a reply on the email I sent so I know I have the right address and I'll shoot that over to you tomorrow.

Thanks,

-Digi
    Ok, fine. I replied with my normal email which is linked to PayPal. Package will go out Monday.
    Ok, @Ryder , this thread can be closed/moved, laptop SOLD to Bobbydigi tonight-- this morning.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    Man, I was too slow :(

Enjoy it, Bobby.
    Man, I was too slow :(

Enjoy it, Bobby.
    Sorry @Kwitko . Better luck next time.

John.

Trade complete, except for shipping which will happen tomorrow.
    Received. Posting happily from it now :)

Thanks John!

-Digi
    Welcome-- Thanks for buying it!

John.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    Closed and moved.
This discussion has been closed.