Selling some heavy server gear @ ICHQ

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited January 2012 in Trading Post
We have quite a bit of server gear in the ICHQ "Yellow Room" that we're going to sell before we move. All proceeds will be going into the ICHQ II renovation fund.

First up we have "Mortin", the web server that ran Icrontic from 2005 until we moved to LiquidWeb in 2010. It's a 1U rackmount server with dual Opteron 840s at 2.4ghz with 2gb of ECC Registered DDR, and two 18.3gb Ultra320 15KRPM SCSI drives. These drives are fast.

Asking: $250. I could part it out on eBay and probably get more for it, but that is such a nightmare. I'd rather just someone take it. It runs perfectly and, well, it's still a relatively high-performance piece of server gear.

I'm not going to ship this one. It's too heavy. If you want it, you'll be picking it up from ICHQ. Own a piece of Icrontic history!

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Next we have "Bart"

This was the original Short-Media webserver, as in the "don't touch that chair" real deal.

Bart is a 1U Dell PowerEdge 350 (I think)? It still turns on (just verified), and I presume it still works, though it is pretty old. This is a P3 1ghz (tualatin), I believe 256mb of RAM, but don't quote me on that. Hard drives are marginal, probably 20gb and 100gb PATA or something. Take it or leave it: $25

edited January 2012
    Now we have "gyros", the short-media dev box, which was built to mimic the production short-media/icrontic environment. It's a dual CPU Opteron box; I THINK they're Opteron 240s. It has 4gb of RAM (but not ECC Registered), and much slower hard drives than prod: 2x 9.1gb U2W SCSI I think. It's in a clunky 4U case, but damn if she doesn't work like a Mack truck. Solid shit.

Oh, the case sucks. The power switch is broken and the front door, I lost the key so I think I just broke off the latch. In order to power it on, I touched the PWR_SW leads with a flathead screwdriver. Lol.

$100

Now we have "kama", which was a Sarcnet web server for years. It's a 1U rackmount, P4, I think 1.7ghz? Not sure on the RAM either. It definitely works, turns on, and runs, however if I remember correctly it was overheating and shutting down once in a while in the datacenter. It may just need new thermal interface, or whatever. I dunno. As is: $50

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    so how much poop is on these servers?
    These servers were in the yellow room, which was completely unaffected by the Great Poopening of 2012.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    Clearly this depreciates their value.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    These are like pics of grandparents you never knew you had.
  • hrng... I so want to buy mortin... but I just don't have a plausible use for it.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    hrng... I so want to buy mortin... but I just don't have a plausible use for it.
    It makes a great white noise machine. It also produces a faithful reproduction of the sound of an fighter jet taking off.
  • hrng... I so want to buy mortin... but I just don't have a plausible use for it.
    It makes a great white noise machine. It also produces a faithful reproduction of the sound of an fighter jet taking off.
    I'd never hear it though as it would just end up racked in the datacenter next to natasha.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    Mortin belongs in a museum.
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    Mortin belongs in a museum.
    +1
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    ^^^Get a glass display case and put it in your new house.
  • Screw that, rip out part of a wall, build a server rack into it and rack all that hardware. Wire it up all pretty like. Give the house some geek UNF factor.
    If you could see the tally sheet of what our renovation costs are going to be.... then you'd understand.

We need the money.
    edited January 2012
    Hell, I'll send you $500 if these could remain in Icrontic hands. Is Paypal OK? They're a piece of history. A part of our legacy. You wouldn't sell the Original U.S. Constitution to Iran, would you? Or make the Capitol a hostel? Or tear down Disneyland to make a parking lot? I think it's important to keep this part of us, of our identity.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Hell, I'll send you $500 if these could remain in Icrontic hands. Is Paypal OK? They're a piece of history. A part of our legacy. You wouldn't sell the Original U.S. Constitution to Iran, would you? Or make the Capitol a hostel? Or tear down Disneyland to make a parking lot? I think it's important to keep this part of us, of our identity.
    You clearly don't understand the depths to which some within the US would go to make a buck. In other news, I would contribute 10% of that amount as a donation to IC revo fund if I could put my hands in cement. (jk)
  • They keep tearing out parking lot to make more Disneyland...
    SIGH
  • If you could see the tally sheet of what our renovation costs are going to be.... then you'd understand.

We need the money.
    I know. My comment was meant as a joke.... I do someday want to have a house with a half rack in a closet though.... dreams and ambitions.
    My comment was meant as a joke...
    Mine wasn't. PM me if noone else wants these.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    Um, maybe you could charge some extra for wear and tear on ICHQ.... Then you would be able to fix afterwards.... I know goes against the grain, but it might be needed.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    maybe you could charge some extra for wear and tear on ICHQ.... Then you would be able to fix afterwards.... I know goes against the grain, but it might be needed.
    The new ICHQ should hold up a lot better (better floors, sturdier furniture), and people contribute in non-monetary ways that are equally valuable.

I'm partial to bart, myself. That's the server that saved us.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited January 2012
    I like Bart and Mortin, but had to sell laptops here in order to make sitting room to handle a dedicated folding box (my first dedicated one), and Mom hates huge electric bills and noise more and more as she gets older. I'll chip in $50.00 if you will keep a server that you want that much for and set up an Icrontic server museum for gatherers to see-- will have to wait and send in a couple weeks, but you have my word on it.
    They are now permanently a part of Icrontic history; @Jokke has bought all of them on behalf of the community and they will be somehow enshrined at the new ICHQ, on display for all to enjoy.

On behalf of the Icrontic community, we'd like to thank you, Jokke.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited January 2012
    ^5 @Jokke
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    Thanks Jokke! What an awesome commitment to our history!
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    Jokke, you have my respect. I did not know Icrontic had a server named Mortin. I am floored! Simply wow, oh my goodness!