Running a 5k

RexxarRexxar Maryland Icrontian
edited February 2012 in Fitness
Hello IC!
I was wondering if anyone on the forums likes running 5ks and would be interested in posting their times here. As time goes on and people keep posting what their last 5k was, we can see everyone’s progress, discuss techniques, and share running stories.

Also, I have been running XC for three years and if there are any questions concerning what you should do if a specific area hurts, I will try my best to assist you or give you tips on striding, breathing, and overall positioning your body. My hope is as time goes on we can all get together to run at a competitive festival or area like Warrior Dash, or Run for Autism and have a lot of fun.

Now, I know at first running at least 1 mile might be difficult for the ones just starting, because I was like that my freshmen year of high school. I have run now for over 3 years and my best 5k time was 19:45. I am currently getting into shape for Track and XC in the fall. My advice to those new to running is:

1. See what your limit is and go on from there.

2. Make sure to get some decent running shoes. Talk to the professionals that tell you what specific shoes you should wear because it may hurt you in the long run if you don’t. If you have flat feet, make sure you tell them that as well.

3. Find an interesting place where a national park or trail is. It is very boring to run a couple of miles on a track and you may do worst because of it.

4. Bring music! Put your headphones on and play your favorite playlists. It has been proven that runners perform better by 15% with music!

5. After every run, make sure to stretch afterwards and ice your legs. If you don't ice you may get shin splints and trust me you don't want that (Ask Preacher). You should be running at least 3-4 times a week and if you feel like adding more days then do so. However, you need at least 1 day for legs to recover otherwise you can seriously injure yourself.

Good Luck and remember be determined!

Comments

• pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    800m PR = 1:55

1600m PR = 4:48

3 mile PR = 16:14 (Florida went to 5k for HS XC the next year)

5k PR = 16:55 (even though its only .1 longer, the 5k was on a much more difficult trail race)

Years since I posted those times = 14-16 depending on particular distance. Most recent 5k time from about three years ago was around 19:00 on a very hilly course, while drinking beer and smoking cigs. Yeah, it was a race sponsored by a bar.

Those times were when I was on a state championship XC and Track team here in Florida (Alfred B. Maclay Day School) in middle school and as a freshman in high school before I destroyed my knee and ankle in a true XC, in the mud and dirt trails, race. Knee and ankle were never quite the same, even with extensive rehab, not that it matters, I have a horrible body for running, I am too tall and weigh too much to be a competitive runner. But still have trouble, mainly with the knee not giving me a lot of support in some situations, enough that I can no longer do real trail running or run any length on a hard surface (asphalt/concrete).Days like today, with a storm approaching, that knee and ankle are stiff and a little sore as well.

I wonder if I got my leg strength back up, that would help with trail running and the lack of off balance pivot support from my right knee?

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    I wonder if I got my leg strength back up, that would help with trail running and the lack of off balance pivot support from my right knee?
    Probably, yes. I had three months in bed after hip surgery, almost totally, and am recovering even now from bed sores in right foot that went necrotic in heel before the GP literally cut the necrosis out. I cannot run, but the Physical Therapists I worked with emphasized whole legs exercise set twice a day. The exercises strengthen muscles around joints especially.

Lessons: Strong muscles around joints support them. Weight Lifting, the physical therapists warned me AGAINST for things that need moving a lot. They said (if we only had room in house) to get a bicycle machine, or go to Y and use one.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    From what I am aware, strengthening the peripheral and core muscles of your leg should help with overall knee support. However, if you have damaged ligaments/tendons from the injury, you may not be able to ever get back to the level you were at or anywhere near it.

/not a doctor or PT
    Oh, I never expect to get back to the level I was before, but I would like enough strength in that leg to not worry about my knee buckling during a hike or light trail run. This is something I really have to worry about right now.

Funny thing though, if I am on a boat digging big fish (grouper/snapper/amberjack) off the bottom in 70-150' of water , I have no problem with my knees, but when I pivot to make a cast while fishing for trout or redfish inshore on the flats, sometimes my knee will collapse or begin to buckle in a quite painful manner. I lack lateral stability, which I know is a result of the knee injury, but other motions seem to cause no problem. Ditto for scalloping, which involves hours upon hours of time diving (snorkeling) in shallow water, causes almost no pain in the knee, but significant ankle pain. Ankle pain might be from using a downward braking motion with fins when I spot scallops in the open on the bottom. I highly recommend scalloping as physical exercise, you burn something like 5k calories over the course of the day harvesting and cleaning the tasty little buggers; and that is if you are lucky and limit out in only an hour or two.
    I'd say the best thing would be seeing a qualified PT /doctor to get a proper diagnosis and treatment plan. :/
    That requires insurance, something that is in quite short supply right now and the reason this has been untreated for so long, no insurance for most of the past decade :-(
    edited February 2012
    Welcome to America! Here, we take your money and ask you to bend over.
  • RexxarRexxar Maryland Icrontian
    Damn Pig those are great PRs. Im sorry for your injury that sucks! If only we were in Canada Tushon :P
    Yeah, I was the #7 man on varsity in 7th grade, #5 in 8th grade, and #4 going into freshman year when the knee injury happened in like the 3rd race, didn't have surgery, because of my Dad's company being sold and insurance policies changing, until the following April. So I went nearly 7 months on a torn ACL and severe high ankle sprain before insurance kicked in for surgery and rehab. Before that was just doing low to no impact water and bike training with my coach who was, at the time, working on his doctoral in physical therapy.

We knew what was wrong, but no way to afford the surgery without insurance and I was young enough to ignore the pain with the help of painkillers (prescribed and OTC). Spent most of the time in a heavy duty knee brace after three weeks in an air cast. I know untold additional damage was done, but with our finances taking a huge hit, a new house to pay for and the insurance issue, it had to wait. Really need to have a top end surgeon go back into that knee, scope it to clean out the scar tissue and check for cartilage damage, and get me into a serious rehab program. Won't fix everything, its been far too long, 13 years, but it will allow me to do more outside without days of knee pain afterwards.

Sigh, the dreams of those without insurance or $250k sitting in the bank :-(

This all being said, I am helping my girlfriend train for a traithlon, so I will be doing light track work, swimming and biking over the next few months. Might be ok if the track we are using is rubber topped or there are some easy trails nearby, will try to get some mileage if a good surface.
    edited February 2012
    @Rexxar Canada, or most of Europe, or a few states (HI and MA, I believe, with some states that have good partial coverage)

Yeah, I know that feeling. I got really lucky when I got an injury to my knee freshman year, but it turned out that I have really flexible tendons/ligaments and only strained it. A few weeks of extra rehab and I have no problems now. I agree that it probably will take a great doc going in and then lot of rehab to get near normal again and know how hard that is to make happen without insurance. The world in which we live (for now ... I think we can and will change that in the next 10 years)