The Windows 8 Thread

Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own wayNaples, FL Icrontian
edited February 2012 in Science & Tech
Here is some semi-meat about Windows 8 to start things off, from a seasoned IT/IS analyst. Appears that Microsoft wants one OS for Windows 8 Phones, Tablets and Desktops. However, looks like Windows 8 with applications in it will run best on Intel-chipped devices or things that emulate Intel. Modified/editted this post to reflect more input from those with other sources of info.

John.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Windows 8 will not run best or only on Intel devices. That would be absurd.

Windows 8 will be perfectly compatible with ARM processors, as well as x86 CPUs from AMD and Intel.
  • Win8 by itself runs great on ARM. MOST win8 apps are ports (or continuations) of x86 based apps that expect the performance of high end x86 chips and as a result ARM based systems don't run them as well ... but that is the apps fault, not Win8.

To be included in Win8 app store, apps must rely solely on Windows based APIs in which case they tend to run fine on ARM unless they have high physical memory requirements because most ARM based systems don't have as much physical memory as x86 based systems.

Just throwing that out there :) Hey, nobody expects to run a rendering farm on their tablet anyway.
  • ChipChip Dallas Member
    Microsoft is finally getting it. They've got many niches of products, but for the longest time, it wasn't a synergistic family. I can't believe MS is now figuring out that they have XBox 360s connected to a lot of TVs, why not leverage that to bring live programming. I've got a wacky system of 5 Xboxes on 5 TVs connected to one central Windows Media Center powered by Time Warner Cable. When TWC isn't out, it works great!

The "One GUI to rule them all" concept is great. Now they have an OS in Win8 that's more flexible than ever. The Consumer Preview of Win8 that's due to be released at the end of Feb is said to run faster than Win7. Kudos to the boys in Redmond that made a revolutionary GUI with Metro and making it so light weight. I can't believe a lot of the new Win Phone 7 cpus are 1Ghz single core. I had the same horsepower years ago on my old HTC HD2.

Back on topic, I've seen Win 8 running on a lot of different platforms. It actually appears to be the most flexible Windows yet.
    Windows Phone 7 CPUs are a good 30-50% faster at 1GHz than the 1GHz CPU you had in your HD2.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    Found this video pretty amusing with regards to non-techies and Windows 8

• midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    Found this video pretty amusing with regards to non-techies and Windows 8
    [video]
    Watching it, I thought a large part of the problem was the resolution the guy was running his system at, considering his father had to keep getting up close and squinting. I checked out the pic of the Win 8 desktop in the link @Thrax posted, though, and just from a glance I see no obvious way to do that either.

Now I really want to install this on something and try it for myself.