Ardi gets fit

ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
edited March 2014 in Fitness
As those of you who have met me know, I'm not a very svelte person. Never have been. Don't even know what it's like to be "in shape". Since college, though, it's only gotten worse. Last year, my girlfriend decided to join WeightWatchers after getting her photos back from her annual beach vacation with her family (contentedness breeds inactivity, right?). At the time I couldn't afford to join her. Finally, mid-January, I had freed up enough money in the budget and and joined as well. I'm 1 month in at this point and have lost an underwhelming, but better than nothing, 7 pounds. That leaves only 118 (or roughly 1/3 of my body weight) to go in order to reach my "maximum safe BMI".

As the second part of my commitment to getting fit, yesterday I completed my first ever 5k, the Heart Throb 5k. Obviously, since both Marysia and I are quite out of shape, we were at the far back of the pack (though not the last people to finish at least). It was a bit of a struggle and I'm definitely feeling it today, but it was nice just to finish it. My goal on this front is to get in good enough shape to compete in Run For Your Lives, the zombie 5K. This is obviously going to take some time (I'll be shocked if I'm able to do this by the later 2013 dates), but hey, that's what long-term goals are supposed to be, right?

Just thought I would post here to keep myself accountable... hopefully I'll be updating this thread from time to time with accomplishments.

Also, inb4 Thrax tells me I'm doing everything wrong.

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    We're here for you. Trust me, if I can do it, you can do it.
  • It's really going to help when work finishes putting in the gym in DC3. I'm already here 5 days a week, being able to just walk upstairs and hop on a treadmill before or after my shift will make it far easier to train for the 5K.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    The hardest part about doing anything is actually starting it. You've already crossed the biggest hurdle, now it's just about sticking with it. That's what we're all here for.

Now go eat some vegetables :)
  • Vegetables... *shudders* I do not enjoy those. My fruit consumption has gone through the roof though (I'm making multiple trips to Horrock's Farm Market a week now). Fresh fruit is all 0 points on Weight Watchers (not all vegetables are though). They encourage using fresh fruit for snacks during the day. Bananas, apples and oranges have all become fixtures on my desk. Thinking I should get one of these for my desk: http://www.amazon.com/Prodyne-FH-300-Beech-Veggie-Hammock/dp/B00004S1DL/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329163592&sr=8-1 :D

Side note: Marysia finally managed to get me hooked on sushi, which is mostly low-points and very filling. Also, she's thrilled because she loves sushi and was sad that I didn't because it meant I would never take her out for it.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    7 pounds in a month is not a bad start. Don't get discouraged by thinking that small progress might as well be no progress. Just keep up the motivation and remember it's not going to happen overnight. Having your girlfriend work with you will be a good way for both of you to keep at it. Good luck man.
    Caution with fruits, though, lots of sugar. Even though they're zero points, you can hurt your progress with too much of them.

Anecdote: College science teacher went to FL and gorged on fresh oranges (who wouldn't, really?) for 2 weeks. Came back 5lb heavier even with high physical activity on the trip (roller-blading, theme parks, etc).
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited February 2012
    I'd be willing to bet it was the alcoholic drinks he imbibed (or other foods he ate for that matter) that were responsible for the weight. Fresh, whole fruit is also packed with fiber which balances out the higher (natural) sugar content. WW apparently did a number of studies and they all indicated that people lose weight even when eating large amounts of fruit, provided the rest of their diet is sensible.
  • My advice is don't hold back on fruit and vegetables.

Good luck Mr. Choke, I know you will do well. This sort of adventure becomes easier in life now that you have established a career and have the time and money to make serious attempts at health improvement. Cheers to you for taking the first steps and dropping that first 7 pounds.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    I'll leave the age old formula here: positive net calories = weight gain, negative = loss. Doesn't matter what source, but there are benefits to eating veggies instead of straight imperial sugar. You can lose weight eating all fast food, if your caloric expenditure exceeds your intake (though I certainly don't recommend it). The "rest of your diet is sensible" is where that comes in.

Good luck, we're rooting for you, etc! :P
    Something fad diets can't figure out:

For weight-loss, it doesn't matter WHAT you eat. As long as your calories out > calories in, you will lose weight. It's all about how much you eat (calorie-wise).

However, WHAT you eat dictates your sense of well-being and energy levels, which have a huge effect on your success rate.

If fruits and veggies satisfy you enough to keep your calorie counts down and you feel good doing it, get to it. If keto satisfies you enough to keep your calorie counts down and you feel good doing it, get to it. If eating Twinkies satisfies you enough to keep your calorie counts down and you feel good doing it, more power to ya.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    Sweet, keep it up ardi.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    Hey, Ardichoke, stick with it please. I need the inspiration here, as the GP says I need exercise but to stay keep away from making right foot bear weight a lot until the heel closes over in about a month or two. Right now I am staying even by eating less than I used to, but need to take off 20-28 pounds.
  • Le sigh... it figures, I finally post one of these threads and what happens? I weigh in to find I've gained 1.8 pounds. How I've managed to do that on the same week I did a 5k and stuck to my diet is beyond me. My only thought is part of it must be due to weighing in later in the day than normal, thus having food in my system from lunch.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Entirely possible. Everything I've read about weigh-ins is to do them either daily and at the same time, or weekly and don't micro it so much.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    I can make my weight swing by 11 pounds in 24 hours.
    Yeah don't sweat it. My weight fluctuates 4-8 pounds in a day. No joke. Pick a consistent time to weigh yourself. I use the morning after my poop and shower.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    Yeah don't sweat it. My weight fluctuates 4-8 pounds in a day. No joke. Pick a consistent time to weigh yourself. I use the morning after my poop and shower.
    Best time ever, actually. You're at your lightest for the day.
    Also keep in mind that your last meal before bed, and how long you sleep, impacts your morning weigh-in also.
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian
    Join MyFitnessPal.com Ardi, it is like Facebook for counting calories. You can share your "Food Diary" with other users and hassle them about eating badly. It also have an Android app so you can scan barcodes on food to quickly upload what you eat.

If you join let me know and I will send you a friends request. I started doing this last year and when I counted seriously for 5 months I lost about 17 pounds, I have since gained some back though.
    MomOfRose
  • I already do all of that for WeightWatchers and use their eTools.

The weigh-in was for WeightWatchers. Normally I do it on Tuesday at the noon meeting, before I have lunch. This time, due to scheduling issues, I went to the 5:30pm one... obviously after lunch. Didn't have a big lunch, but still it no doubt had an effect. I just don't see how it could have been THAT much of an effect.
  • You are probably drinking a lot of water while dieting. Your lunch probably had a little salt.
    I mean, I'm just guessing, but it seems like your body just had some water retention that was more than usual and you had bad timing. I don't think it is much to worry about. Don't sweat it (pun intended).

FWIW, I agree that weighing yourself in the morning before you eat or drink anything is ideal for consistency.
    1.8 pounds is absolutely nothing.

This type of thing is also the reason I never weigh daily, it's just an exercise in frustration.
  • I don't weigh in daily either. I do it weekly. Every Tuesday to be precise.
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian
    I drink about a gallon of water a day, and that weighs about 8 pounds alone.
    And you piss it out almost as fast as you drink it.
  • New week, new weigh in.

Week: -6.6 lbs
    Overall: -11.8 lbs
    Avg weekly: -2 lbs

I was concerned about this one given my gain last week and the fact that I took Marysia out for a fancy (and not healthy) 4 course Valentines dinner. Turns out I ate sensibly enough the rest of the week that it didn't cause me any issues.

Also, this week I discovered that I like raw spinach (in moderation) on subs. I also made some wicked awesome (and surprisingly healthy) chicken tacos. Cut boneless, skinless chicken breast into strips, seasoned with some Penzeys Bold Taco seasoning, browned them in a pan (non-stick, no oil). Added salsa to the pan and let the chicken stew in it a bit til it started falling apart. Threw it on a low carb, high fiber tortilla with some low fat cheese, greek yogurt, black beans and more salsa. OMNOMNOMed.
    Nice work. 2lb/week is not bad at all.
    Grats!
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    Congratulations, ardichoke.
  • congrats!

Have you tried making green smoothies? Here is a nifty Mix-match Green Smoothie chart that has about 336 recipes!

http://www.vitamix.com/household/infocenter/greensmoothie.pdf

The key to eradicate the veggie taste is to use ripe fruit. I freeze ripe bananas and buy frozen fruit in bulk at costco.