Now soliciting ideas for Expo Icrontic 2012 sessions and workshops

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited March 2012 in Community
Expo Icrontic has been growing year-over-year. What started as a LAN party for friends in 2004 has grown into a true convention, with a wide variety of events for all kinds of interests. In the last few years, we've had things like:
  • A beer homebrew workshop
  • A Civ 4 starting strategies class
  • Fitness workshop
  • An author reading
  • Beer tasting
  • Group movie viewing
And so on.

This year we're looking to expand this concept even more.

To that end, we're now accepting applications for sessions and workshops presenters. If you are passionate about something and want to share your skills and passion with the Icrontic community, this is your chance. Send your pitch to me via private message and the planning committee will discuss it.

Potential sessions on the table this year:
  • A cheese and wine tasting
  • Android App developer workshop
And more. Looking forward to seeing what you guys and gals come up with!

Comments

• I understand there are a few folks there with some musical talent. Could make for a pretty cool Jam. Just food for thought.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    Is there a deadline for proposals?
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    Icrontic Wasabi Ball Challenge: Round 2.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    more beer tasting, less whine
  • JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    If I make it, I'd second that =D
  • sharkydartsharkydart KY Icrontian
    I understand there are a few folks there with some musical talent. Could make for a pretty cool Jam. Just food for thought.
    I'm up for bringing equipment to jam, and/or play a pre-determined song or three.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    If I make it, I'd second that =D
    We did one last year.
  • JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    And how could a successful 1st time not be repeated? =D
  • WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    Cheese tasting. If I can come, I can help organize this. I'll just have to plan ahead of time, to get the cheese from the co-op over here. Grassfields and Mooville Creamery have some awesome cheeses out here that I can bring. I have a few others in mind from some nearby stores. We could combine it with wine/beer tasting, or have it close in time to it.
  • waxwax the neroberg Icrontian
    edited March 2012
    @AlexDeGruven mentioned on that he wants to go curling sometime. We could probably rent a couple sheets in advance and that would entertain 16 people (4 teams of 4) for (see what I did there?) a few hours. Info here:Detroit Curling Club Rentals.
  • Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    Something involving ponies.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    @AlexDeGruven mentioned on that he wants to go curling sometime. We could probably rent a couple sheets in advance and that would entertain 16 people (4 teams of 4) for (see what I did there?) a few hours. Info here:Detroit Curling Club Rentals.
    This. Definitely.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    In for curling, definitely. Eli would be down for it as well.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    Curling sounds like a great idea... I'm open to participate.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Curling is awesome, but I'll have to say that it won't be an "Expo event" and not on the schedule for a couple of reasons: it's not a "session" or workshop, it takes people offsite (the curling place is about 20 minutes away and if the last nine years of doing these things has taught us anything, it's that taking 16 people 20 minutes away actually takes an hour), and it would be too big a chunk of time on the official schedule.

We're looking for ideas for 30-60 minute "teach me something or talk about something awesome" things.

Also, if I remember correctly, the Detroit Curling Club closes in the summer? Unless they changed that. Might be awesome for ICSP though.

• MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    I'll do a brewing Demo Again.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    Bring samples. I'll bring some as well.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    @Lincoln should do a Vanilla plugin development workshop

Ooh... or a workshop on how to not make bad posts... with examples of bad posting from yours truly
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    You could walk around Downtown D trying to convert a few non-believers to join your cult?
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
    You could walk around Downtown D trying to convert a few non-believers to join your cult?
    I've tried. No one wants to be a fellow Green Devout. :Forever alone:

On topic: I'm trying off and on to think of ideas but most of what I come up with is either already in place or I only see me getting a kick out of the idea.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    Bring samples. I'll bring some as well.
    Will do.
  • LazarusXeroLazarusXero Illinois Icrontian
    I'd love to attend a brewing session... I've always been interested in brewing my own stuff and I have a ton of brew shops by me...
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    Just to throw out some ideas, things I would be interested in that I know there are members that could put on 1/2 hour presentations:

Good Coffee

Tea

Shaving

-Digi
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    SHAVING... we have yet to do that presentation.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    and I'll do a presentation on growing a manly beard...

will need time slot of six months
  • Or we could just give @pragtastic 2 hours.
  • DogSoldierDogSoldier The heart of radical Amish country..
    edited March 2012
    And I'll role model the bad example by shaving with my Phillips electric!
  • Would love to do a presentation on existence to generate philosophical conversation.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited March 2012
    Would love to do a presentation on existence to generate philosophical conversation.
    Will there be a Q&A at the end? :wave:

-Digi
  • Would love to do a presentation on existence to generate philosophical conversation.
    Will there be a Q&A at the end? :wave:

-Digi
    It wouldn't be fun if we couldn't have a discussion about it all, of course Q&A. Anyone else who wants to share their ideas on "why" gets the floor for a bit and we have a nice OPEN discussion and respectful consideration of all ideas over some nice wine (or beer).

Vacuums don't exist.