Favorite Scotch?

MscrntMscrnt Los Angeles
edited December 2011 in Food & Drink
I am a big Scotch fan. What's everyone's favorite? I want to try some new Scotch.

Here's mine:
http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-5862.aspx

Comments

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    I haven't tried that many varieties, but so far I have enjoyed Glenlivet 12yr quite a bit. Laphroaig 15yr is pretty smoky, but good.

Of course, the best one was at this year's Expo...shared with several others:
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    This:

329968748.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1321567415&Signature=aXnsU4ZVeT12xsLBK3WXv6MCniI%3D

At Expo Icrontic 2011, we bought this bottle so that a few of us could experience a drink that was older than we were. It was sublime. Words don't do it justice.

Outside of that, I'm a huge fan of woody single malts. I like the occasional peaty scotch, but smoke is where it's at for me.

I really, really love the Glenfiddich Snow Phoenix:

snow-phoenix-box.jpg

Also, I'm a big fan of Laphroaig Quarter Cask:

laphroaig-quarter-cask.jpg

And I also love the Lagavulin 16 year. Had a bartender describe this one once as an oak tree in heat.

ProductImage.aspx?pc=LGVOB.16YO&w=270
  • MscrntMscrnt Los Angeles
    edited November 2011
    Glenlivet has always been kind to me. Just looked up this Glenfarclas 1974 and jeeze! With a $250 price tag, it might have to become a Christmas present to myself.
    edited November 2011
    Mscrnt wrote:
    Glenlivet has always been kind to me. Just looked up this Glenfarclas 1974 and jeeze! With a $250 price tag, it might have to become a Christmas present to myself.

Yeah, we pooled six people together to buy it and split the bottle. I believe it was $50/person, or something like that. Totally worth it.
  • MscrntMscrnt Los Angeles
    edited November 2011
    UPSLynx wrote:
    Yeah, we pooled six people together to buy it and split the bottle. I believe it was $50/person, or something like that. Totally worth it.

Sadly I don't know 5 people that would want to split the bottle with me. However, I might be able to get my room mate to go halfsies
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    The Macallan 18 Sherry Oak or Fine Oak.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Kwitko wrote:
    The Macallan 18 Sherry Oak or Fine Oak.

+1

I actually prefer the Sherry Oak over the Fine Oak for the 18yr. But the 21yr Fine Oak is outstanding!
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    I haven't tried the 21 fine oak. I imagine it's sublime. Have you tried any of the special editions or cask strengths?
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    I've told this story before but:

I was way into Scotch for a long time, but always took exception to the overly peaty or smoky varieties. Then I went to a Scotch tasting at Penguicon and they had the Glenrothes Select Reserve. A well-priced single-malt, blended-vintage (Glenrothes does vintages, not ages) Scotch. I found that it fit everything I was looking for in a whisky (or whiskey, depending on the origin) with none of the things I found objectionable in most Scotch. Later, I found that the flavor profile of the Select Reserve is extremely close to Bourbons, and discovered that I actually like Bourbon much better.

Anyway:

glenrothes2.jpg
    edited November 2011
    Glenrothes is awesome. Genevieve and I finished off the Glenrothes 1985 single malt the evening I was laid off. It was a nice touch to a bitter day.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    How does the 85 compare to the Select Reserve? I've looked at the profiles, and they're all pretty similar.
    edited November 2011
    Hard for me to tell, as I haven't tried the select reserve. I do know the 85 was fantastic, definitely one of my favorite scotches that I've had. It had a light, nice flavor, not overly peaty, and it had a wonderful finish. Very tasty scotch.
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Just watched an hour long special on this.

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2010-08-14/entertainment/27072636_1_crate-antarctic-ice-antarctic-heritage-trust

The guy who sampled it on the show made a blended recreation of it. I would be neat to try that but I am not sure how to get a hold of it.
    edited November 2011
    Oh man, I remember reading about that. What channel was that special on? I'd love to see it.
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    I'm drinking my "first" bottle of scotch. Glenlivet 12, it's surprisingly delicious. I don't know why I didn't drink scotch more before this...oh wait it was $38!
    edited November 2011
    I'm drinking my "first" bottle of scotch. Glenlivet 12, it's surprisingly delicious. I don't know why I didn't drink scotch more before this...oh wait it was $38!

Try being in love with stuff that costs $180. That is a 300% increase in price after Sean Connery announced that it was also his bottle of choice. I am referring to 18yr "The Macallan".
    edited November 2011
    Kwitko wrote:
    I haven't tried the 21 fine oak. I imagine it's sublime. Have you tried any of the special editions or cask strengths?

Tried the 25 and thought it to be a bit 'slimy'. I tried a few vintages and they were OK but would take either 18 over them any day. The cask stregnth wasn't bad and thought it was simmilar to the 12 but noticably stronger.
  • pragtasticpragtastic Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Personally, pretty much anything from Balvenie I'm a fan of, also a lot of stuff from Glenmorangie. And as lynx said, the Laphroaig Quarter Cask, never though I would like a peaty scotch after tasting the Laphroaig 10yr, but damn the Quarter Cask is phenomenal.
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Favourite as in what I'd actually buy rather than the best I've had would be Aberlour 10. It's not an amazing whisky but definitely an enjoyable, smooth, speyside single.

I'm currently sat with a dram, listening to jazz/blues and watching the world go by:

aberlour10.JPG
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    This was my first scotch, and perhaps it's nostalgia or the fact that the bar was set extremely high, but it's still my favorite:

balvenie_single_barrel_15yo.png

The first time Mondi showed up at my house, it was with a bottle of this, and to this day it remains the best I've had.
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    UPSLynx wrote:
    Oh man, I remember reading about that. What channel was that special on? I'd love to see it.

I'm pretty sure it was on Nat Geo. I didn't DVR it so it might take sometime for me to find it.
    edited December 2011
    I'm debating on scotch again this weekend. I know the local state store has a good selection...we'll see.
    edited December 2011
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    Kwitko wrote:
    I have to admit, I thought it was a troll post, just reading the text. ;D
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    When I passed my general exam (2nd exam of 3 at my grad school), Laura's dad bought be a bottle of Glenlivet 12. At first I didn't like it, but it grew on me and I picked up a second bottle about a month ago. I haven't had much experience with other scotches, so I'll say that's my favorite :P
    edited December 2011
    I got Glenmoragie 12 this weekend. Much different than Glenlivet, very sweet in comparison. Still like Glenlivet more.
    Tonight's adventure with @UPSLynx and @Cherplunka. So good.
    Just making sure @basil sees this. I can, in fact, into whisky.
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    So far it's the Glenlivet 12. That being said, it's the only one I've really tried extensively, and I only got it cause it came with cute little glasses ^_^*
    I got that set as well. Glenlivet 12 is very good.