A visit to a Steampunk book store in Michigan

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited February 2011 in Lifestyle

Comments

• ChoochChooch K-Pop authority™, Pho King Madison Heights, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    damn. now i need to visit this place when I come back to Michigan to visit the fam.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited January 2011
    I know where I'm stopping next time I'm through Michigan.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    What game were they playing? Mordheim? Malifeaux? Either way, I wanna join 'em.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    Mordheim sounds familiar. I may have heard that word.
  • edited January 2011
    Buddy J - they were playing Mordheim, but we play Malifaux on wednesdays. Come on down, I'm sure some has a spare army if you want to learn how to play. And thanks, Brian, for the great review.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    Sweet! Next time I'm in Michigan I hope I can come by. I have a Mordheim band already and am slowly getting into Malifaux.
  • edited January 2011
    Mordheim and Malifaux. Mordheim's on Tuesdays (and sometimes bleeds into Wednesday), and Malifaux is on Wednesday.
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    Holy crap, since when did Michigan get something so cool? Nothing cool is supposed to be in Michigan... (/troll)

Actually this sounds awesome. I'll put it down on my places to visit sometime, since I'm right on the Michigan border anyways. =P
  • edited January 2011
    Brian thanks for the amazing article!I'm glad we did right by ya. :)
    To sum up what the heck's going on:

Monday: Poetry forum night & occasional book collecting seminars

Tuesday: Game night (card, board, scrabble, you name it!) and Mordheim (league starting 1st of feb)

Wed: Malifaux & Mordheim pick-up night, Drum Lessons as well!

Thurs: Stitch & Bitch night!

Friday: Everything happens and it's great!

Saturday: live music :)

Bookstore is online at: http://www.otbp-bookstore.com
  • edited January 2011
    I thought I was the only one that still played Mordheim
  • edited February 2011
    they never had cool stuff like this when i lived in Michigan! :(
  • edited February 2011
    The hardware on the fabulous eyewear looks like the same business that holds the parts of my fake leg together. I might just have to get it so I can have a matching set. :)
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    Planning on visiting this place when I make a trip out to Farmington Hills next month. I'm excited :D
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    GOOD LORD. I want a place like this around DC. I bet there is one. Time to find out :)
  • FreshyPFreshyP Don Cheadle Cyberspace Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    I got the best leather journal there! But the sad thing is, I have no idea what to write in it.
    Looks like the customer base for a steampunk bookstore isn't quite what it needs to be. From the owner:
    So like I said earlier today, I have come to a decision and here it is - I will be closing the storefront and Off the Beaten Path Books is going to become an online store and traveling bookstore that I will be taking around to conventions around the country. The business is NOT closing just transitioning. We will still be at World Steam Expo and hopefully TeslaCon, too. With the current economy it is just not feasible to keep the storefront open with all of its additional expenses. This isn't forever, but definitely for the next year or two. The airship has been fixed and I feel like going out and exploring the world again :)

So what happens to craft night? Drum lessons? Bellydance classes? Writing club? Etc.? Fear not people! I have been given access to a smaller space a few businesses down that will be just as homey as the current, but smaller and more manageable. More info on that will be coming. I love the community that has grown at the store and I wanted to make sure that I would still be able to nurture that. Stitch & Bitch forever :)

So when is the store going to close? Our last day is going to be March 31st. Yep, that soon. So This will be the last bizarre bazaar on the 25th and I will talk to Thomas Downey to see if we can squeeze in one more dance that hopefully all of you will come and party with me one more time. We are going to close it out on the 31st with a last Katara concert in the space. We will still have our regular hours right up until the 31st, so please come and say "Bon Voyage"!

I will also be having a ridiculous sale as I need get rid of all of the current stock and all of the fixtures and equipment. I will be selling the cafe equipment, book shelves, furniture, etc. I will definitely be creating an event around this, too.

I would like to thank all of you who have shopped at the store, spoken about the store, and just been rabid supporters of the store. I couldn't have had a better time or better customers. You made it a pleasure to come to work everyday and I treasure all the friendships and connections I have made. So I will see you all at the Phoenix for the next Aether and at many conventions in the future:) Thank you all again.
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    I'm bummed that it's closing, but I'm not really surprised. I AM super excited for the sale, though!
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    Brian, Jason and I circled like vultures into the store today and picked up a dishwasher, desk (for Perry), crazy-old footlocker chest (for awesome-looking storage in the attic), and an ornate mirror.
    I felt bad. Sort of like jawas? We came in there and started carting stuff out and inspecting everything while the regulars sat there, freshly sad because they found out their hangout is closing, and gave us the stinkeye.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    I'm saddened, but not surprised by this news. Marysia and I visited the store last year while we were in the area. We thought it was a cute store, but felt like it had too small and niche of a selection.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    A dishwasher at a bookstore?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    But it's steampunk, you see, because it's a mechanical washer of dishes! They superglued some gears to it.
    It's a bookstore and cafe. Yes, there was a dishwasher at the cafe :)
  • JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Looks great! I will have to visit it if I ever get my behind to MI.