AMD GPU Transcoding?

AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut?Meechigan Icrontian
edited March 2012 in Internet & Media
So I've got this shiny (ok, so it's actually more of a matte-black finish) new 6870 and FX-6100 setup that I'd like to do some seriously hardcore video re-encoding with.

I've been doing some research, and it doesn't look like there's much out there in the realm of a drag&drop reencoding solution ala Handbrake that will utilize the GPU and all its latent horsepower.

I picked up the demo of CyberLink's PowerDirector10, which is able to utilize AMD GPUs, but the other processes involved (like previewing, etc) are all CPU bound and take just as long (if not longer) than a regular CPU-bound reencode through Handbrake.

Anyone have any ideas on where to look? Preferably Windows-capable, GUI/CLI works for me.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    I pinged my colleague who knows way more about this than I do. Stand by.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    There's a build of x264 that supports GPU acceleration. It's not in Handbrake right now, but if you're ok with CLI that might be a good option.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    I'm definitely a-ok with CLI work. 5 years of AIX administration will do that to you.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Doesn't AMD's encoding program that is part of the suite utilize GPU?
    There's no standalone client that I can find. It's all included in Catalyst, and will trigger automatically with drag/drop to portable players, but that's not quite what I'm looking for.
    Okay, I think you're right. Just checking if you had seen that.

http://www.mediacoderhq.com/download.htm is what you're looking for, I do believe
    Hmmm... Unfortunately, that's all Intel and CUDA. No OpenCL there.
    Ohhhh derp. Right-o
  • I could build this for you if you want: http://li5.ziti.uni-heidelberg.de/x264gpu/
    Always worth a shot :)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    My colleague says to use Cyberlink MediaEspresso, which can do GPU-accelerated transcode and post-processing. I don't know how good this app is for power users.
    Cool... I'll take a look at that. Thanks!
  • I could build this for you if you want: http://li5.ziti.uni-heidelberg.de/x264gpu/
    Ehh I tried, I had to customize my msbuild which I did only to find out there are a bunch of libraries missing from the zip file they put on there. They lightly mention they haven't added the x264 source to their project yet so I assume they came from there. I downloaded the source code for x264, and the libraries aren't there either.

Hopefully MediaEspresso does the trick :)
    edited March 2012
    Nice, lol.

We shall see. I don't have Matroska/Haali splitter installed so it can't open any mkv's at the moment. Fixing that now.

Blurg. Even with that, it won't open any mkv I throw at it.
  • I don't know anything about mediaespresso, but I can tell that installing a filter/codec on your system that supports mkv doesn't give you a 100% chance that your video programs will support the format. Mediaespresso requires XP sp2 so I assume they use directshow graphs which aren't the most dynamic things in the world.

Honestly, I don't think there is much good stuff out there for the time being. As soon as ffmpeg implements openCL for transcoding a thousand transcoders out there will immediately adopt it since so much of this kind of software rely heavily on ffmpeg anyway.

The last I checked OpenCL was in the works with a few ffmpeg developers but there was little enthusiasm for using it for encoding/decoding because there weren't many performance benefits (believe it or not) for this type of application.
    The program isn't opening MKV to convert to one of their (rather limited) outputs? Handbrake needs to pull in that code into their program ASAP.
  • Xillisoft is what I have been using.. and it works on Cuda (Nvidia) and AMD (ATI) ... and has a nice option to choose all your cpu cores or just one .. I often dial down to 1 cpu core and the GPU and that works great and doesn't interfere with using the computer for other tasks.