The "Everything is Different" Vanilla feature and bug discussion

Comments

• Profile section- sexual awareness needed

@WagsFTW changed his profile picture.

Although it may just be a new setting that hasn't been updated by the user.
  • WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    Profile section- sexual awareness needed

@WagsFTW changed HER profile picture.

Although it may just be a new setting that hasn't been updated by the user.
    FTFY
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    That is what he was pointing out.
    But my profile picture has always been a picture of my face...

But I suppose it would be beneficial to have a section that listed what sex we were, although it doesn't really matter.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    The bug is that Vanilla doesn't have sexual ambiguity and calls every user "him", is what he's saying.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited March 2012
    But my profile picture has always been a picture of my face...
    This is how boasist knew you were female hence feeling the need to point out that your profile says:
    WagsFTW changed his profile picture.
    There is a setting under "Edit Profile" to indicate your sex and unspecified is an option. Either Wags has her setting set to Male, or there is a bug using "his" instead of "their" as the pronoun when unspecified is set.

Edit: Prime Ninjaed the answer in there

-Digi

There is a setting under "Edit Profile" to indicate your sex and unspecified is an option. Either Wags has her setting set to Male, or there is a bug using "his" instead of "their" as the pronoun when unspecified is set.

Edit: Prime Ninjaed the answer in there

-Digi
    Fixed it. Didn't realize it was set to male. Not sure if it was a bug or what, but now my profile says I'm a female. Thanks.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    It defaulted everyone to male in the import. The importer is sexist!
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    Did you set it to "tech site" before running the import? That would explain it.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Bug: Unless you put http:// in front of a URL in the HTML href, the link automatically generates to point right back at the page the link was created on.

Example:

www.google.com
  • Whole bunch of stuff in this thread but here is one I noticed today.

Commented on the thread from the article page after reading. This didn't have any effect on the thread on the discussion flow, and it shows the previous post (before mine) as the last comment.
    Yeah, front page posts are not triggering forum posts as "new". This bug is in the tracker.
  • I am sorry to see you all went away from a regular forum type software like vbul. I really don't understand the layout here any more and absolutely hate the popup crap coming up in the bottom left of my screen. All I can say is good luck with your website and whatever you call this software.

Jim
    Thanks Jim!
    I guess the software is more important than the friendships made? :-/
    This kind of irks me a bit. It's not THAT different. First of all, if you look at category view:

http://icrontic.com/categories/all

All information is the same as it ever was.

Second, what "popup crap" are you talking about? Are you talking about the notifications that disappear after 3 seconds?

Third, all of the the information that has ever been in vbulletin is STILL HERE. Everything is easier to use, including embedding images and videos.

This is just "THINGS CHANGED AND I HATE CHANGE". Damn, Jim, we've been friends for a DECADE. Now you're just gonna up and leave in a grumpy-ass huff because we moved your cheese?
  • lmorchardlmorchard {web,mad,computer} scientist Portland, OR Icrontian
    Having not been back here for a bit, and having heard awhile back about travails with vBulletin, and having heard that Vanilla might be an option:

CONGRATULATIONS!

I know it must have been a really annoying transition to make happen.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    On my Android phone there is no tab at the top for categories. There's discussions, my profile and inbox.
    edited March 2012
    Random and minor: multi-line code segments using < code> tag are separated by line spacing rather than being right next to each other.

test code i++ print hello world;
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    More troublesome: code boxes are white text on yellow backgrounds on dark theme. I think it's been mentioned before, though.
    Not sure if this has been posted: click on a name from the front profile page makes it go your profile instead of theirs.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    no attach image link on standard theme?

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    I believe attaching images/files is a Supporter perk.

-Digi
    I believe attaching images/files is a Supporter perk.

-Digi
    Yep. Host to imgur then link would be easiest non-supporter method, methinks.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited March 2012
    It is a perk... attached is what I see.
  • djmephdjmeph Detroit Icrontian
    I wish I could do one or both of the following. 1. subscribe to a thread from the article. 2. get to the discussion of an article through a link on the article.

I'd also like to have the option to automatically subscribe to every thread I reply to, that used to be the default setting.
    @djmeph In lieu of bookmarking every discussion, see the "Commented" tab.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    Yeah, front page posts are not triggering forum posts as "new". This bug is in the tracker.
    I just noticed this after posting on a CES article yesterday and not seeing it in the recent threads.

Because of this discovery, I found that going into the thread version of the comment and making an edit to the comment makes the thread subsequently appear in recent threads.
    @GHoosdum That bug is now fixed.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    Damn, you're fast!