Good Old Games calls out Steam

Comments

• CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    I can't think of a time I've had offline mode work. I read something about a problem concerning steam cloud or some crap. Apparently a lot of people have that problem.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Offline mode has always worked for me. I dunno.
  • >Owned by CDProjekt that sued people and falsified numbers about pirating
    >Sell old games that give no profits to the creators
    >Feel the need to shit talk about other digital services

Add to this their main problem. Most of their games STILL DON'T work on modern systems and modern OSs, even if they claim they do! True fact. Their versions still require lots of tinkering and even then you aren't guaranteed to be able to play.
  • TheAlertHuskyTheAlertHusky Victoria BC Member
    Now, I'm a person that loves steam, hates steam and loves to hate steam.

This is the service that has locked me out of my account more than 10 times because I've logged into it on more that one machine. And every time I start a new account because of the lock out they won't give me refunds for the games that I bought.

So now that I've gotten that aside..ahem.
    SCREW DRMS! I've had tonnes of problems with them and it pisses me off! So of course I'm enthralled by this "GoG.com"

Thank you for bringing it to my attention
    Love you all
    Husky
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    I log into Steam on no less than 4 computers periodically. My laptop, desktop, in-laws' desktop, and work desktop.

Never ever ever had an issue, much less one that requires me to get a whole new account.
    edited March 2012
    I don't know why but I get emails from them and in every email is the line "Your account has been accessed by more than your original device"

Hell if I know why they're getting pissed at me for doing it, but I've gotten so fed up I only use it for the free games and haven't even used it for that since summer...

*pardon my french
    edited March 2012
    Uh, yeah, that's their anti-fraud mechanism, to make sure your account isn't being stolen from another PC.

Receive email > punch in code > log into steam on new device.

I use Steam on 6 different computers and one smartphone, and have never been locked out of my account. Sorry, brother, but you're doing something terribly wrong.
    I tried to do it so that I could figure out what was going on.
    I set up four laptops, side by side.
    And Asus, two hp pavillions and an ancient acer.
    I set up and started steam on them
    First on the Asus, then the acer and finally the Hps
    With in 5 minutes I was locked out
    Turns out steam thought I was trying to buy only one game and use it on all of my computers....problem being I hadn't even downloaded a free game.
    So I tried to email the account back (I durped and didn't realise that it was a "no-reply")
    I think that I must have done something to have them flag my ip address or something.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    What Thrax said. It's a simple security measure to make sure the person trying to access your account from a new device also has access to the email tied to that account which should only be you. My guess is your problem is that you're trying to run Steam on all of them at the same time. It certainly isn't that you're trying to buy only one game and use it on all your computers because that is absolutely possible and not a problem.

Funny though how an ad for GoG seems to have gotten more publicity for Steam, at least here.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    I used to have some problem with steam's offline mode for when i'd go home to my parent's house (they only have dial-up) but like 2-3 months later steam made it a lot more reliable. If i put my computer in offline mode before i went home it would always work in offline mode when i set it up at the 'rents.

Also i've gotten all my games from gog.com to work on my win7 x64 box. Sometimes you have to change the install path from (x86)Program Files folder, and sometimes you have to check their forums for a solution. But they always have had one. Steam has the same problem with their older titles as well.
  • The only thing I like about this is how they talk about providing Vintage PC games to a 21st century audience. I started gaming well after DOOM, but here's hoping for it's triumphant (free download?) return.
  • branmysonbranmyson Ekalaka, MT
    For me GOG is my netbook gaming service, since most of the steam games I own require more than what my early gen. xp netbook can handle. For that I have good will towards them. I will at least have an interest in seeing what they are doing.
  • While I would not consider Steam to be a poor drm design (I actually like it), there is one really frustrating feature of it. I have multiple computers, and multiple games. But if my 4yr old son wants to play our Train Simulation game on one computer, and I want to play a different game on the other computer, can't be done. That's my only gripe about Steam. Other than that, I can't see how people can find it difficult.
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    edited March 2012
    While I would not consider Steam to be a poor drm design (I actually like it), there is one really frustrating feature of it. I have multiple computers, and multiple games. But if my 4yr old son wants to play our Train Simulation game on one computer, and I want to play a different game on the other computer, can't be done. That's my only gripe about Steam. Other than that, I can't see how people can find it difficult.
    As long as you're not both playing in online mode, it can certainly be done. I'll agree that it doesn't handle the family dynamic as well as it could, though.

Personally, having used both GoG and Steam, I very much prefer the latter. The interface for GoG just doesn't compare. I don't really feel like going into detail and listing off specifics, but I think it's fairly obvious that Valve has put a lot of time and effort into the design of their distribution system that GoG just hasn't yet. And don't get me wrong, I like GoG, but I like them for their mission and despite their system (admittedly I'd use them more if they'd plump up their Apogee catalogue). And of course the fact that I can get a significant portion of my game-library through a single interface no matter where I happen to be at is a fairly key selling point (I've even picked up games I already own just so I can have the convenience of it being on Steam). That's the main reason I don't use other new-game systems even when they have better deals running.

tl;dr: If a game is available on both, I'll go Steam, but I do appreciate the existence of a company like GoG resurrecting the old games I love.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    What's the difficulty in gog.com's interface?

I usually prefer to buy a game from gog.com over steam if the prices are equal because the game is completely drm free. I can take the downloaded .exe pack and put in on my flash drive or something and now i can PLAY IT ANYWHERE without jumping through any hoops whatsoever. Despite how hassle free Steam is I still run into situations from time to time where it interferes with my ability to play a game i purchased. Yes Steam is pretty great and usually is a useful platform for gaming but it still requires you to have an internet connection at some point and it requires you to have Steam installed and functioning correctly for you to play.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    While I would not consider Steam to be a poor drm design (I actually like it), there is one really frustrating feature of it. I have multiple computers, and multiple games. But if my 4yr old son wants to play our Train Simulation game on one computer, and I want to play a different game on the other computer, can't be done. That's my only gripe about Steam. Other than that, I can't see how people can find it difficult.
    Your frustration here has more to do with them being able to uphold the copyright and not the way it is done. If you purchased the train sim mentioned, then the license you agreed to on steam is that you can play it. It does not say, by any means, you can let others play it (Son, Mother or perfect stranger), quite the contrary actually that you will not let others play it. You are indeed breaking the license agreement by letting anyone else use your steam account let alone play one of the games.

Setup a steam account for your son, purchase the train sim for him. Problem solved.

-Digi
    edited March 2012
    In no western country is it legal for two people to play the same game using the same license. That is not a Steam issue, as Digi pointed out.

//EDIT: Fixed Swype typoes.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Yep :-/

* Glances sadly at the three copies of many games he's had to buy over the years
    In no western country is it legal for two people to play the same game using the same license. That is not a Stream issue, as Digit pointed out.
    Actually, that's entirely up to the publisher and their license agreement. Many of the ones I've read state a limitation on the number of computers it can be installed on, but not the number of people that can play it. Still others have placed no limitations on installation or players or anything. Some will even give you the source code.
    Exceptions to every rule...
    Exceptions to every rule...
    Well, yes. My point is that it's not because of law as much as it is because of decisions by the publisher.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    To be fair, he didn't say anything about law, he said "legal." These games have EULAs, and until judged otherwise (please let this be soon), they are legally-binding documents that have nothing to do with the laws created by these countries. While there is no law against it in anybody's constitution or government, it remains illegal due to the binding nature of the EULA you invariably agree to.
  • http://www.gog.com/gamecard/giants_citizen_kabuto

$2.99 for Giants Citizen Kabuto! If you have not played it, do it now!
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    2.99 for a bunch of Interplay games, including the old Fallout games

http://www.gog.com/promo/interplay_blast

Seriously, I'm in love with GOG right now. I got Psychonauts from them a few days ago. Now I got Fallout 2 and Theme Hospital. Love that it's DRM free. Love the extras they include with most games (soundtracks, wallpapers, avatars, etc.) Really love that I can just download the installer once and keep it locally, no having to re-download the game files when I reinstall. While I'll never get rid of Steam (mostly because I don't see most publishers going DRM free any time soon), I'm definitely going to look on GoG before I bother with Steam.
    Steam means I don' t lose installers.

That being said, I'm gonna have to check out this sale...
    Won't lose the installer with GoG either. You can always go back and re-download it from them. The difference is, you can also keep your local copy and still install/play the game if, for instance, GoG goes bust. Can't say the same about Steam (not that I actually think either one WILL go bust).
    Actually, Steam has had the option to do local backups for a long time, and they've said for years that they'd provide an option to continue using the software if they ever tank.
    Yes, you can make a backup, but can you restore that backup if Steam won't work? (doubtful).

Sure they may claim they will provide an option if they tank, but if they're going under how would anyone hold them to that? (Answer: we couldn't, they'd be going out of business after all)

All I'm saying is I like being able to have standalone installers that aren't tied to a service which, at it's core, is a form of DRM. If I have the option to buy from GoG or Steam, it's GoG all the way at this point.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    Yes, you can make a backup, but can you restore that backup if Steam won't work? (doubtful).
    I don't know if this is the same thing you're talking about, but I keep a full copy of my Steam folder on network storage at home. If I set up a new computer (a new laptop, for example), all I have to do is copy the network copy to that new computer. The only thing required is the local setup that has to be done for each game. Of course I also have the option of only copying certain games into the local Steam folder as well.
    I was referring to the Steam built-in backup util that creates 1 (or more) large archives with the game data. That's how I back my game data up when I need to move it to a new computer or reimage. That can also only be restored using Steam. Your way also relies on Steam though as the setup has to be re-run, so really what I was saying is no different in your case either. If Steam were to ever go under (which I doubt will ever happen) you won't be able to reinstall the backups. With GoG, you wouldn't be in that situation since what you download is the game data and the installer, all of which doesn't rely on GoG being online (or existing for that matter).

Not that I'm saying people shouldn't buy from Steam, hell, I'll continue to buy from them undoubtedly. Just saying, I like the cut of GoG's jib and will prefer them over Steam for my stated reasons.

Hell, I've already bought Fallout 2, Theme Hospital, The Witcher: Enhanced Edition and Rollercoaster Tycoon today... and I've spent less on all that than on a single semi-new title on Steam. I'm going to be very busy doing nothing productive this weekend :D