IE8 constantly forgets logins and passwords!

TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
edited March 2012 in Science & Tech
I recentmy upgrade the MB and CPU in my computer, and added a Vertex 3 60GB SSD as my boot drive, now running 7 HP on 8 GB of ram and a 1055T and a 4870.

And I replaced the CMOS battery when I did all this too.

But IE8 is constantly forgetting passwords, even when I haven't turned the computer off at all! I'll go to sites I had been on yesterday, and it doesn't have my user name in there, and I have to type it in all over again. I just had to do it here to make this post!

What is the problem? And how to fix it?

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Use FF/Chrome.
  • PacifistoPacifisto Turnip Extraordinaire Michigan Icrontian
    I'd recommend against storing your user/pass combinations entirely. Firefox and Chrome for sure, and probably IE as well, store them in plaintext in an easily accessible setting. Unless you use a master password that you put in to start the browser, anyone can see any of your login information. Use a password storage program like KeePass or something, I'd say.
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian

The problem is you're letting a browser store your passwords, and you fix it by remembering them.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian

Oh no! Here we go again. :tim:
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited March 2012
    Why is my smiley ( the :tim: one) not working?

My problem isn't forgetting passwords, it's just too much effort to have to re-type it all the time, especially when I shouldn't have to.
  • TheAlertHuskyTheAlertHusky Victoria BC Member
    ORLY? IE not working? Use Chrome or Firefox
  • Did you look at your settings?

Is IE set to delete cache on exit?
    Is IE set to even use auto complete? If so, it also has to prompt you to save them, so check all of these settings under Tools - Internet Options - Then the General and Content tabs respectively.

I use Roboform for password management, far superior, inline, cross-platform, etc. Check it out.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    LastPass

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    I'm with Tim on this one. I might not want my browser to remember my password to my bank account, but I sure as hell want it to remember my password to 'specific piece of hardware help forum #782' in the off chance that I may ever want to go there again.

That said: Boasist has the right of it for troubleshooting: Check the settings.