Ardi gets fit

Comments

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    As of Tuesday, I'm down 16.4 lbs, still averaging 2 lbs a week. Just .6 lbs more and I'll have lost 5% of my body weight.

Thanks for the info, I really don't have any interest in the smoothie fad though. I want to actually /eat/ my food, not drink it. It's more enjoyable that way.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Psh, that stuff from the matrix has everything the body needs.
    Except flavor. THE BODY NEEDS FLAVOR.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

"I thought I was pretty clear when I said, 'It has everything the body needs.' Son, I am disappoint"
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    Congrats man, well done.
  • BetsyDBetsyD Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
    edited March 2012
    http://www.vitamix.com/household/infocenter/greensmoothie.pdf
    I am totally psyched that someone else knows Vita-Mix! It is the best thing in the world... ::Looks around expecting CB to make fun of me::

For serious though, Ardi, congrats on the weight loss. Fruit is my best friend and I don't have any problem losing and maintaining a weight loss with it, but everyone is different and different goals require different fuel. If I was trying to get into fitness modeling or figure competitions I would have to cut it out because fruit sugars still causes skin bloat that just isn't that attractive in a bikini, but since I plan to remain fully clothed in public I don't care if my skin looks less tight than it could.
  • TheAlertHuskyTheAlertHusky Victoria BC Member
    @ardichoke Hey dude, YOU GOT THIS! And I agree with a few people above me try Vita-mix....it works!
  • JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    @ardichoke Keep it up, dude! Yeah, the vita-mix thing isn't a bad idea, but if shakes aren't your thing then no need to "power them down" during a weight loss period. There are tons of alternatives, but this is all a complete lifestyle change as well. I continually live behind weight loss and healthy eating as how good you feel inside (energy levels, body processing food, etc...) rather than the outside. Once the body internally adjusts the outside will as well. Good luck, man!
    Haven't updated this in a couple weeks.

Hit my 5% mark last week. Lost another 3.4 this week. Now down 21 lbs for an average weekly of 2.1 lbs. At the current rate, I'll be under 300 lbs for the first time since my freshman year of college around mid-May and I'll be around my lowest high school weight (285) by the time I go on vacation in July with my girlfriend and her family. I thought about rewarding myself with breakfast from McD's today post weigh-in, then thought no, that's a bad idea. Stopped at Panera instead and got a Mediterranean breakfast sandwich (egg white, roasted tomato, spinach, pesto and cheese on ciabatta). Much better decision and tastes way better than the greasy crap from the arches.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    I think that's a downfall point for a lot of people when dieting. For some reason, we feel that the crap food we were eating before is something good and special, therefore to be used as a reward.

In fact, food like that should be consumed extremely sparingly, if at all.

I took a 4-day weekend last week and had a bunch of stuff I hadn't eaten since before January. I realized that I missed it much less than I thought, and by the end of the last day, I was 100% ready to get back into my keto routine.
    One of the big hurdles to losing weight for me is the fact that I'm a carb junkie. I love bread (especially fresh baked bread when it's fresh out of the oven) and pasta. I recently discovered Carba-nada pasta which is a reasonable number of points, very filling and delicious. I used it this past week to make Skinny Chicken and Broccoli Alfredo which was amazingly delicious and far more filling than one would expect. Best of all, a serving of it was only 11 points (as a reference, my daily points allowance is currently 67, thought I usually shoot for 62 as the higher amount was resulting in my yo-yo weight loss when I started).

I doubt it would be quite keto friendly (Carba-nada has 24g carb per serving, far less than the ~40g in most pastas, but still not an insignificant amount), but it's definitely a satisfying alfredo dish for anyone trying to eat a bit more health consciously. Now if only Horrocks would stock the carba-nada roasted garlic fettuccine, I really want to try that one.
    If you want to continue eating carbs (which isn't a bad thing as they provide the fuel for energy needed) I would suggest eating them as early in the day as you can (early lunch) and eating them at a minimum to not at all for dinner. I only suggest this because eating them early provides you with ample time to "burn that fuel". Eating them at night only allows it to "sit" and usually results in water retention which can be misleading when doing a morning weigh-in. Just a thought.
    Update time. My weight loss has slowed some, though this is likely due to the fact that I've been out of town every weekend for the past 3 or 4 weeks. This complicates things. I did manage to survive Easter though and still lost weight. I'm now down 23.6lbs overall for an average of 1.8lbs per week.

Had a bit of a slip-up 2 weeks ago when Mo and I went to dinner at Applebee's. I will never again order ANYTHING there that isn't on their Weight Watchers menu. Even the "this shouldn't be too bad" items are, apparently, horrible for you. Blew my whole week on one meal. Still, got myself right back on track the next week.

Now that all the chaos from the past few weeks is over, hopefully I can really get moving again and push that average back up over 2 lbs a week. I'm a mere 10 lbs away from hitting 10% of my weight lost. I'd really like to hit that point by next month.
    Lol Applebees. Its amazing how they can take a dish like oh say a chicken salad and make 1500 cals. Whenever I get railroaded into eating there the Lime Chicken dish off their low cal menue is pretty good. Way to go on the progress.
    The last month or so has been kind of rough due to holidays, traveling, stress and the death in my girlfriend's family. I continued to lose weight, albeit at a much slower rate than I was. I finally got (more or less) completely back on track this past week though. Lost 1.6lbs, finally getting my total over 25.

Stats
    Total lost: 25.6
    Avg weekly: 1.7

I'm a mere 7.4 lbs away from having lost 10% of my starting body weight. That will also put me at roughly the weight I was in college. I still have about 100lbs to go before I'm at a "healthy" BMI, but hey I'm 20% of the way there.

In our quest to live healthier in general, my girlfriend and I started getting our meat from somewhat local sources this week. Specifically Otto's Chicken and Lonesome Pines Beef. They're both a bit pricier than supermarket meat, but not by an unacceptable amount. Plus, no hormones or antibiotics! I made a whole roast chicken the other night and it was possibly the most flavorful and juicy bird I've ever had. Got 4 servings out of it, plus I'll be making soup from the remnants. Not bad for a $7.50 bird.
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    That will also put me at roughly the weight I was in college. I still have about 100lbs to go before I'm at a "healthy" BMI, but hey I'm 20% of the way there.
    You're doing great dude, but I had to chime in here on this. I hate BMI as a measurement of health. Having just taken my own self reporting health assessment for work, I noticed they're using BMI as the "recommended weight" for us.

According to the assessment, I'm "Obese" because I'm not in their recommended 135-174 weight range. So frustrating.

Yeah, BMI is a questionable, at best, measure of health. I'm aware of that, but it's what WW uses for their guidelines (though they admit it is only a guideline and it's not accurate for everyone). That said, I haven't done a body fat analysis for quite some time, which is the better metric for what weight you should be at, so for now I'm basing my goal off the top of my healthy BMI range. I'll adjust it once I get some body fat measurements.
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    Yeah, BMI is a questionable, at best, measure of health. I'm aware of that, but it's what WW uses for their guidelines (though they admit it is only a guideline and it's not accurate for everyone). That said, I haven't done a body fat analysis for quite some time, which is the better metric for what weight you should be at, so for now I'm basing my goal off the top of my healthy BMI range. I'll adjust it once I get some body fat measurements.
    I figured you had this on lockdown. Keep it up!

Quick update.

Total lost: 33.2
    Weekly avg: 1.8

That puts me over 10% of my starting weight lost. It's been a good week.
    Thats great man. Keep it going.
    Awesome man! Keep it up!
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Bad ass! Congrats!
    It's gotten to the point where I have to wear belts with all my pants. If I don't, they will just fall off me. I am now entering that awkward phase where I should really buy new clothes, but I don't want to because I'm only about 1/4 of the way to my goal.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    Awesome work. Noticed quite a difference between Penguicon 2011 and 2012.
    It's gotten to the point where I have to wear belts with all my pants. If I don't, they will just fall off me. I am now entering that awkward phase where I should really buy new clothes, but I don't want to because I'm only about 1/4 of the way to my goal.
    Yeah, then you'll want to buy nice clothes that fit. Then you'll be good looking broke guy.
    edited June 2012
    Update time, because I need to be kept accountable (or something). I had a couple rough weeks while Marysia and I packed all her stuff up to move into my house. Gained .8 lbs one week, stayed even another. The move was this past weekend though (which meant lots of running around, unpacking and other physical activity). Despite the fact that we ate out a lot, due to the chaotic state of my kitchen, I lost a whopping 5.8lbs this week.

Total lost: 38.2
    Weekly avg: 1.8

I now weigh under 300 lbs for the first time since I was in high school. If you told me a year ago that I could get down to this weight in under 5 months, I'd say you were nuts. I wish I had done this years ago.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    Congrats man!
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Good show!
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    Great update! ^5 Ardi!

-Digi
    edited July 2012
    Guess it's been over a month since my last update... my progress has slowed down over the past month, but I was still steadily losing. Then I went on vacation starting on July 4th. Between the drive from MI to MD then MD to NC, I had a few days of really lousy eating (and nearly no exercise). Then, of course, there was the drinking at the beach. It all took a toll and I gained back over 5lbs in a week, which erased the slow weight loss since my last update. It's frustrating how easy it is to put on weight when it's so hard to lose it.

Anyway, still on vacation here but I've been more conscientious of what I'm eating (and I've been trying to keep the alcohol limited). Hoping to not have another big gain this coming Tuesday. Either way, once I'm back home I'm going to be really strict on the diet for a while, until I get down to my next milestone at least, which is currently about 11lbs away.