The homebrew thread

Comments

• lmorchardlmorchard {web,mad,computer} scientist Portland, OR Icrontian
    Anyone got anything interesting fermenting? I just bottled a batch of apfelwein that turned out... buttery. Also, an odd Arrogant Bastard "clone" recipe that didn't use any Chinook hops.

Hoping these turn out alright after some time conditioning
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    edited April 2012
    @MAGIC I don't know that I have a whole lot of time, but I'm pretty good at CAD.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited April 2012
    I just bottled a red amber,

2.5gal
    6lbs american 2 row
    1lb cara red
    1lb crytal 40*
    1lb flaked rye

60min mash at 152, batch sparge. 3.5 gal preboil vol.

.5oz cascade at 60
    .5oz cascade at 5

2.75-3 gal volume into primary w/ california ale yeast, 2.5 gal into secondary.

It had a good flavor out of the secondary, been bottled for a few days. I might crack one tonight because im impatient.
    kegs are getting pretty expensive now.
    Damn, I've been putting off starting to invest in kegging gear. Maybe I should dive into that next month. Bottling is really starting to lose its novelty
    I just bottled a red amber
    Oh, that sounds like it'll be tasty. I haven't done a red yet, I should queue that up on my TODO list :)
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    kegs are getting pretty expensive now. Soda companies ship in the syrup bags now so the kegs are rarely used. We need someone to go to China and source some specifically for homebrewing and provide a reasonable priced option.

I'm looking for investors.
    Ebay.

Just bottled an Imperial IPA and sampled the bit that wasn't enough for a bottle. This thing is going to be really intense. I'll bring some to Expo.
    FYI, the last iteration of my Red recipe above is delicious. Its sweet, great body, crisp. A very tasty cold summer beer.

The grain bill is solid, and I like the cali yeast, I am going to start playing around with the hops now. It should have been at 26 IBUs but I dont think it got there. Im going to try another with another half oz of magnum or something.
  • WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2012
    I was almost disappointed that I got mine two days before that went up, but upon closer inspection it has plastic buckets and not glass carboys. Great deal for someone who wants to try it but isn't sure whether it's something they really want to do. I will, in fact, be considering picking it up as a Christmas gift.

Thanks for the find @WagsFTW :D
    edited May 2012
    Well, this is strike 1 for Northern Brewer.

Got the extract in yesterday, everything's great. The kit was scheduled to come in today. Well, UPS being the dicks they are didn't bother to come by my actual apartment so they could see the note that said to leave the 68lb package in front of my door; they instead just took it straight to the front office for me to carry back. That's okay, it wasn't so bad. The stairs kinda sucked, and after my attempt at starting running on Monday my ankle is being a fucker, but I got it up without incident (this isn't whining, it's complaining, but this is a bitch post so I'm being bitchy).

I opened up the box, started pulling stuff out, and noticed 1) there was no packing list and 2) it was missing at least half the contents it was supposed to have. It's got the carboys, the bucket and hose, the brushes, some blue round thing with a bunch of holes in it that looks like it fits on top of a carboy, and the auto-siphon. And that's it.

So, my starting brewing on National Homebrew Day will almost certainly not happen. I called them, and they're going to get the stuff to me, but I'm pissed anyway. I'm getting really sick of having to deal with this kind of crap when I get fairly expensive things shipped to me (*). If they get it to me in time to brew Saturday, then of course all is forgiven. I could, of course, drive up to the brew shop (apparently) in Lubbock, but the gas cost sucks, and driving in West Texas and being in Lubbock for any period of time are on the List of Ways I Like to Spend My Time somewhere below explosive diarrhea and watching reality television.

*I returned two basses to Musician's Friend toward the end of last year. Admittedly the first was just because I found out Ibanez's production quality has plummeted and the newer production run LH version of a bass I already had and liked was a piece of shit. Second, though, was the replacement Fender J I got just straight-up not functioning. The whole ordeal put me off so much that I haven't touched it since I got it in and made sure it wasn't crap or broken. =/ Also had a decent set of speakers come in half-busted, but that was my own fault I guess for buying something like that from Midnight Box. I didn't bother to return them...doubt they would have taken them anyway. Though, the shipped box was pretty fuxed, so it might have been UPS. I really don't like UPS. Or FedEx. Have dealt with too much crap with them out here.

tl;dr Fuck living somewhere that the only option for getting decent stuff is to be at the mercy of the Freight Companies and live with long, uncertain waits for your order.
    edited May 2012
    Odd and misfortunate. Although overpriced... northern brewer is pretty reputable.

Im lucky enough to live within 10 minutes of 3 brewing shops. Grand Rapids, MI is a haven for craft/micro/homebrewing. I love it.
    Yeah, I probably overreacted yesterday posting that, but I's mad, bro.

They emailed me today to say they weren't going to overnight it, so I should have the stuff in Thursday. They are, however, giving me a $20 credit for their shop. This won't keep me from buying from them, especially since, like I said, the only other real option is Lubbock >_> I'm just supersad that I can't start brewing tomorrow =/

You know, it's ever-so-tempting to give it a shot, but I don't even have a one-step sanitizer, so it's really not worth trying.

Btw, any idea what that round blue plastic thing is for?
    edited May 2012
    There are serveral ways to sanitize other than a specific solution. You can use bleach/water or boiling water, so if thats holding you back go for it. The blue thing is for sitting your carboy on upside down for drying.
    OH! Neat :D

And that's a good point...though how do you sanitize stuff with bleach and then keep it sanitized when rinsing the bleach off/out? The carboy seems like it'd be particularly challenging.

I may go out and get a thermometer and give it a shot. Of course, I don't have the instructional DVD either, but I think I'll probably be okay without it. I'll go through and see if I have the right stuff to do it.
    edited May 2012
    All you really need are your ingredients, pot, spoon, siphon and a fermenter.

I'd recommend going to your local hardware store, picking up a 15ft section of 3/8 soft copper coil, a couple feet of 3/8 nylon tubing, hose clamps, and an adpater to connect it to your sink faucent. Make a copper chiller. This will run you about 20-25 bucks and will save you roughly an hour over trying to cool the wort in the pot submerged in cool water.

Just sanitize with the bleach solution and rinse w/ tap water. If you have any questions ask here or reference here http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html.
    I'd recommend going to your local hardware store, picking up a 15ft section of 3/8 soft copper coil, a couple feet of 3/8 nylon tubing, hose clamps, and an adpater to connect it to your sink faucent. Make a copper chiller. This will run you about 20-25 bucks and will save you roughly an hour over trying to cool the wort in the pot submerged in cool water.
    I keep meaning to do this... the two homebrew stores closest to me sell pre-made copper chillers for like $60-80 depending on the day. So far, I've been making a run to the party store for bags of ice and just giving the brew pot a bath in the sink. It does take a little over an hour, that way
    edited May 2012
    I keep meaning to do this... the two homebrew stores closest to me sell pre-made copper chillers for like $60-80 depending on the day. So far, I've been making a run to the party store for bags of ice and just giving the brew pot a bath in the sink. It does take a little over an hour, that way
    Yeah, cooling is cut down to about 15-20 with a coil chiller. The counterflow one I made above cools from boiling to 70 in a single pass. Takes about 5 minutes to drain a 6 gallon boil. That cost about 35 to make. Well worth it though. Im all about time savings. I can get an batch sparge all grain day down to just under 3 hours if I go in well prepared.
    edited August 2012
    Well, this past Friday I cracked open my first. The recipe made for a very pleasant hoppy ale that I will almost certainly be making (and improving upon) again.

Verdict: Damn Good Beer. I think I have gone through at least half-a-dozen since Friday.

Now my next goal is to get through George Fix's Principles of Brewing Science and start up a Left Hand Milk Stout clone :D
    UPSLynx
    Next step: cider.
    primesuspectWagsFTWHumerusMegJBoogaloo
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    WANT MOAR MAGIC BOCK
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian
    I thought about trying to make some Mead since it sounds pretty easy, I am trying to get my hands on a 5 gallon water jug from a water cooler, but I heard that air penetration in plastic can kind of effect the aging process if you let the stuff sit for a long time and I was planning on aging it for 2-3 years.

Is it really bad enough I should fork over the extra cash for a glass carboy over plastic? I only plan on brewing maybe once a year at most.
    I don't know if there's any actual difference between the water jugs and plastic carboys, but if you're going to age it for that long, I'd go with glass just to be safe.
  • trooster89trooster89 Are you from London? Icrontian
    edited October 2013
    @d3k0y Glass is also a good choice because its more sanitary. Plastic can get scratched easy even while cleaning which leaves places for bacteria to grow. Plus for a 2-3 yr fermentation I'd be worried about the plastic leaching into your brew, it probably won't be a substantial amount, but why risk it.
  • SusurroSusurro Dubuque, IA Icrontian
    Glass is great for long term fermentation and I find it much easier to clean. Seeing your intention of 2-3 years, it's probably a good bet.

The benefit of plastic, though is weight. It's much easier to move when you don't have 10 lbs of glass on top of your brew. Also, dropping a glass carboy can result in serious injuries and cuts.

I have both, and have had no problem with either.
    I wonder if it would be worth it to do the original mix in a plastic jug (~6months) then transfer to large glass bottles for a final fermentation. Also is anyone familiar with doing Mead?
    d3k0y said:

I wonder if it would be worth it to do the original mix in a plastic jug (~6months) then transfer to large glass bottles for a final fermentation.

Yep, that's fine. I've done it myself with several beers.
    Just to be clear though, the primary carboy is where all of the fermentation should take place. Secondary (the glass carboy) should only be aging. For beers and ciders the primary fermentation should take around 10-14 days. According to the site where I get most of my supplies, mead should be about the same.
    d3k0y said:

Also is anyone familiar with doing Mead?

Not I, but it's in the plans for sometime soon though.
    trooster89Tushon
    I will try that then. I can get the plastic jug for 10 bucks, but a glass carboy is 50 something and I am not known for my precision and dexterity.
  • PinkPink Colour Sweden Icrontian
    I used to make my own mead back in the day.
    Honey, meadowsweet, even a little hint of lemon... I need to make mead again.
    CB