Pixel Art

BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats !TX Icrontian
edited February 2012 in Minecraft
I am still taken aback at how fast the server has moved since the restart less than 2 weeks ago. The time has come to map out the pixel art area.

I propose the northern road be used. The pixel art being placed out over the water so a rail can be ridden to see them all.

-Digi

Comments

• IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    I'm game for that, question however will we request a line to use or will it be assigned based on the scale of the proposed art?
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    I think we should handle it the same as the outlands. Give me the coords of the line you want to use and I will make sure everything works out.

-Digi
  • If we already have pixel art in town, will it be possible to move it in entirety using admin powers? Or can we just keep them in town.
    In this case yes. If it is already there I will be working with the builders on the possibility of moving it.

-Digi
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    So we have a lot of pixel art now. I <3 it so much.

We've got a pretty long line of art running parallel with the town with a rail line going along it. What do we do next?

If we keep building straight, we'll just make this huge wall of art that kind of blocks off ocean access out that direction. Do we want to make it a square or something?

I considered some sort of out and back solution, but then some of them won't be visible with the world map.

Any ideas?
    Need to scout out an acceptable viewing distance and start another line perpendicular to the road. Maybe 50 blocks past the current line?

-Digi
    Probably. We could probably go even closer than that, maybe. We can only build 63 blocks high due to the water level.
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited February 2012
    While we're discussing our Pixel Art gallery, I heard a couple ideas thrown around in vent I wanted to write down here.

Idea 1: pixel art parade route
    There was this idea of setting up the pixel art in a way that had minecarts constantly moving (or at least, grab one and hop on the track) so we could enjoy a pixel art "parade", so we can see them all quickly and easily. If we have several rows of art going back, the tracks could snake their way back and forth, so they all can be viewable.

Idea 2: back-to-back art
    To save on space, there was an idea of building a line of art right behind the existing line, so they're back-to-back, to save space. I'm personally not a big fan of this, as the ones on the back won't be visible on the world map very well... so I'd rather single lines, spaced enough blocks back so they don't overlap on the map view (I'll make a few test pillars to see how far we need to go to clear the 63-high arts like Rainbow Dash Salute)

Idea 3: Nether Gates
    Finally, in order to quickly jump between rows in case someone wants to see a particular art on, say, row #3 or 4 (several months in the future), I propose a Nether Gate at every row. So all someone has to do is enter the first gate, warp to the nether, step forward to the corresponding gate in the nether, and warp back. If that defies the way the gates actually work, then another minecart track would probably work (could be built underwater to avoid conflict with the "parade route" track).

Thoughts?
    1. That was the original intent of Morton Ave going out there. The artists for whatever reason continued to build out perpendicular.

2. No. Not visible on map. Do not do this unless it is your art, it does not interfere with other's art and you are fine not being able to see it on the map.

3. Probably not doable due to the way nether gates currently work.

-Digi
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    Can I request that people not push the pixel art any closer to the baseball stadium? I am not sure exactly how much room I'll need for the outfield stands and I don't want to run into anyone's work.
  • Maybe you should make your claim larger.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    My claim as I posted is fine and the pixel art that is there is fine, as long as it doesn't go past the end of the line that is made of sand.
    I have a proposal for the Sprite Farm expansion.

Looking at "insane Twilight" on the map, I looked at how much she covers of the blocks behind her. I found that you need at least 61 blocks to not overlap 2 rows of sprites, and it's best to have about 9 more blocks for "breathing space" between rows. 70 blocks total.

So, to get an idea, I made this quick photoshoop preview of what more rows would look like, 70 blocks apart.

I also went into the game, expanded Mortin Ave 140 blocks down (2 rows' worth @ 70/row) and I started the 2 rows (see image). This was done so it could show up on the actual map and see how it would really look (if my preview is off). Just trying to get a feel for the scale.

If you guys think this will work, I will build the rows out to match the existing row, while keeping distance from existing land (I won't clear land for sprite rows unless it's confirmed we can do that by its owner).

Thoughts?

Preview of proposed Sprite Farm rows. Orange lines are the cobblestone I laid down temporarily to see how it would look on the Google-powered map.

Row #2 and 3 are approved. Build away. Do not build any wider than current Row #1.

I removed an "reserved" section out past the Trixie side. Whoever that was please build your art in the next row.

I believe that CannonFodder has extended row 3 out towards his plot. When we get out to building that far lets keep that in consideration as this will need to be a road also.

-Digi
    edited March 2012
    Thanks, Digi!

Once I saw Digi's approval, I spent several hours in the afternoon measuring and expanding the Pixel Gallery's two new rows:

Each row has a center cobblestone area for placing the pixel art, as well as a lane of grass on both sides of the art to walk out on. Now we can easily reach art for work and close-up viewing. Just be sure not to build past the end-of-row signs, please.

Don't worry, it's all lit up. I put down a torch every 4 blocks to make it as creeper-proof as possible. Just don't forget to light up the tops of your art! I've frequently spotted creepers spawning up there so be careful.

Here's what people have built so far. So what are you waiting for? Get out there and art it up! :D
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    omgomgomg.... someone build Gir. Who built gir? It's an awesome one.

I loveded you piggy.... I LOVEDED YOUUUUUUUU
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    Oh yeah! The new updates raised the ceiling cap we can finally finish Trixie's hat now! That and now I can finally build Batman.
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    I can finally build Batman.
    FYI, if you do this someone might have to give him batnipples.

This brings up a good question. If we all start building sprites that are double the height of the existing ones (and using the currently planned layout), they will start to overlap each other and no longer be fully viewable from the map.

So. We could...

1. Allow extra-large sprites, but keep in the 3rd row so they don't hide rows 1 and 2.

2. Build a separate area or new rows that are meant for extra-large sprites

3. Just build them along side the existing (smaller) ones, and just accept the small ones will get hidden

4. Don't allow extra-large sprites at all

I'm in favor of #1 or #2, personally. I'd love to have extra-large ones, but I'd hate to see smaller sprites get hidden on the map. Seeing them all lined up and viewed from "space" is half the fun.
    I'm down for number 1. Though I think it would be awesome to build the rest of Trixie's hat and just block off the area behind her that would be obstructed from map view, since I can't really move it.
    Agreed. Unless anyone else disagrees, I think we should do #1, and if we build more rows later, we'll just have to make it twice as far away.

Regarding Trixie, I too would love to see it finished. I can think of 2 options, both of which we should get Digi's input:

1. Have Digi move it to row 3 using his admin magic. Open the void left behind for normal-sized sprites.

2. Get permission from Digi to have an exception, so we'll have an oversized sprite, and not allow any others in rows 1 and 2 (keep to 64 high). So, finish Trixie where it is, and somehow mark in row 2 where it will be overlapped. If someone wants to build there anyways and they don't mind overlapping, more power to them.

Of course, Trixie's not mine so I don't have a say, so I don't mind either way. Whatever you and Digi swing for. But I'd love to see Trixie whole. >=D
    2. Get permission from Digi to have an exception, so we'll have an oversized sprite, and not allow any others in rows 1 and 2 (keep to 64 high). So, finish Trixie where it is, and somehow mark in row 2 where it will be overlapped. If someone wants to build there anyways and they don't mind overlapping, more power to them.
    This is what I had in mind.

-Digi
    #2 it is. I't shouldn't take up too much room of row 2.
    So Lynx you've still got the grid image right? I've got a feckton of wool lying around, should be enough to finish Trixie's hat but of course I'm never against spending a night in the sheep pens. :D
    I'm just going to leave this here:

-Digi
  • GorzoGorzo Columbus, OH
    edited April 2012
    Megaman has been gaining weird powers lately

Edit: Oh God, Flashback. I remember that game. Sooooo good. Conrad was a badass.
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    I don't remember Goldeneye being that hi-res.
    edited March 2013
    @Ivan has joined the server ^5

-Digi
    ErrorNullTurnipUPSLynx
  • IvanIvan Icrontian