The Galaxy Nexus thread

Comments

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    If you follow Ryder, Thrax and I, we've been discussing battery life for ages. With the proper kernel and ROM, we're regularly hitting 30-50 hours on normal daily usage, which is probably on the light side. I rarely go to bed under 70% lately, and can go the whole weekend (Friday morning to Sunday night) without charging easily.
    I'd imagine my results are pretty typical of a stock build with LTE and Bluetooth left on 100% of the time and WiFi and GPS turned off.

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    Stock, LTE, and Bluetooth - definitely agreed. :) Before tweaking, I'd make it down to 30 or 40% on an average 16-18 hour day.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    I was just coming here to say that I'm not going to buy via Newegg because there were many complaints that they were open box items, apparently bought and resold from a distributor in Taiwan. Some of theme even seemed to have some sort of tomfoolery installed.

That ebay one looks nice. I was a little concerned about warranty at first, but then I realized I'm just going to void it on day one anyways...
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Would I be able to use a GNex world wide if I bought it in the states?
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    IIRC, the GSM version is pentaband, which should have you covered just about anywhere. The VZW version will be only VZW.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    http://www.theverge.com/products/galaxy-nexus-gsm/2946

3G Connectivity Yes
    GSM Yes
    GSM frequencies supported 1900, 1800, 900, 850
    UMTS / HSPA Yes
    UMTS frequencies supported 900, 2100, 1700, 1900, 850
    WWAN data standards supported EDGE, HSPA+, HSUPA, GPRS
    So I have to specifically buy the GSM version. No contract rate for buying a new phone then :)
    Correct.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    So I have to specifically buy the GSM version. No contract rate for buying a new phone then :)
    Unless you buy it from a GSM carrier.
    Not sure if any of the US GSM carriers have the Gnex or not.

Unless you buy it from a GSM carrier.
    Not sure if any of the US GSM carriers have the Gnex or not.
    They do not.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    There are a ton of under-appreciated features on this phone, methinks. The ability to stitch together landscaped photos and the speed of single shots on the camera is remarkable, IMO, for a smartphone.

Given that my previous phone was an OG Droid, and I'd not paid any attention to features of phones between then and my GNex, I may be showing my 'late to the party' hat. All the same, still pretty cool!
    How well does the Macro picture setting work? I take hundreds of macro pictures with my razr for work.
    Haven't tried macro, but it does take awesome pictures. This one was in low light on my GNex:
    For sizing:
    Close focusing:
    I'm going to order a GNex tonight (previous order was cancelled do to some boring issues involving a sell-out). I'm reading a lot about some of these devices shipping with a "yakju" or "Docomo" builds, which apparently are the build OS's for Japan. Newegg (as I posted previously) and Expansys are selling it, among other places.

Should I be worried about that at all? I'm just going to root the thing anyways, so it probably doesn't matter?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Doesn't matter.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    I just got an invite to pre-order the Galaxy Nexus for it's release on 4/22 on Sprint, but I see that Samsung is holding an event on May 3 in London and that will most likely be the unveiling of the Galaxy S III so I think I'm going to hold off until at least that time to figure out what my next phone will be.
    Should have my GNex in a few hours. I'm gonna root the hell out of it.

I've never done this because I'm a bad. My NOOK is the only device I've rooted. I've downloaded the ADP drivers, the unlock/root toolkit, and the AOKP build. I'm presuming they install in the order they were posted?

Also, is lean kernel a must? Kernel updating is more confusing that the previously mentioned three.
    The root toolkit is the only thing you need to install drivers, then root and unlock your device. Once you've done that, Clockwork Recovery will be on the device, which you've used with the Nook.

Save the AOKP zip to your device after it's reconfigured upon unlock, then reboot to recovery. Wipe data/cache/dalvik. Then choose zip from SD and flash clockwork.

It comes with a pretty good kernel by default, so you can hold off on that for now.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    ONE OF US! ONE OF US!
  • TrumandrummerTrumandrummer Taylor Michigan Icrontian
    edited April 2012
    I figured that I would share my favorite mod for the GNex so far.
    The tablet mode mod.

Anyone with a rooted / custom rom'd GNex should at least give it a try. Its weird at first, but then you fall in love.

Here are some screen shots of my setup:

Check out the mod here:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1543892

Its worth checking out

Been watching this project for a while. Is the lockscreen still rotated 90 degrees in portrait mode?
    edited April 2012
    Been watching this project for a while. Is the lockscreen still rotated 90 degrees in portrait mode?
    Not 100% sure what you mean,
    But it looks fine to me in portrait mode, also flips to landscape if wanted.

soooooooo good.

I ask because early versions of the mod forced the lock screen into landscape mode. You couldn't rotate out of it.

I ask because early versions of the mod forced the lock screen into landscape mode. You couldn't rotate out of it.
    Oh, ok cool. Glad they fixed it then.
    Seems to be working great so far. Although I had to change from original 160dpi to 192. Because it was too hard to read.
    Now that ive gotten used to 192dpi, its perfect.

What launcher are you guys using with your phones? I've got Nova Launcher and LauncherPro on my GNex, using the latter at the moment. I feel like LauncherPro leaves a little to be desired in the screen space department.
    Apex Launcher. More options, smoother, free.

LauncherPro, ADW and all the rest of the Gingerbread launchers are for your old-ass phone, not your new hotness. Cut that shit out.
    edited April 2012
    Yeah, I didn't actually mean to do it. Since it was on my G1, it automatically installed to my GNex the second I booted and logged in. Since I didn't know which to use, I just set it for now since I know it.