Setting up a local server

BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats !TX Icrontian
edited April 2012 in Minecraft
I've not really looked into it at all but I would like to setup a local server at my house for the little ones and I to play together.

I'm not against doing research and such, just haven't yet. Pretty much just looking for someone to point me in the right direction on what is involved with hosting a vanilla server.

I will keep this post up to date with what I find and probably mold it into a How To eventually.

Thanks for any input,

-Digi

Comments

• MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    It's really not that hard Bobby, I run one for my wife's younger brother and some of his friends. All you need is to know the IP address on the network of your machine you're hosting it on.

Are you worried about having the same kind of powers you have on the IC server? That's a little bit more to setup but still doable.

I was running the server for 3-5 people on an old C2D machine with 3gb of ram, so I'm sure you've got something like that hanging around.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    Not worried about anything other then being able to get on and play. I just have no idea where to start.

Does Mojang provide the server software? Is it as easy as start a server software on one computer and connecting via IP on the other? Are there any major disadvantages or stopping points in running the server software on the same machine as the client? I currently only have 2 machines that will run Minecraft so I am hoping the answer to that is no :P

-Digi
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited April 2012
    Lemme answer these one by one:
    Does Mojang provide the server software?
    Yes, it's on the Minecraft.net site. Here's the link: Minecraft_Server.exe
    Is it as easy as start a server software on one computer and connecting via IP on the other?
    Yep, it's exactly like that. Because you're on the same network its easier than what I currently do (forward ports from the outside world).
    Are there any major disadvantages or stopping points in running the server software on the same machine as the client?
    You'll notice some stutter at times on the machine running both. Depending on the machine it might not be a big deal. If you had a 3 machine that would be best, but I've played on the C2D box I mentioned while hosting and it's more than serviceable. You might notice missing chunks more often on a weaker box.

• BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    Not the clearest or best laid out guide but Minecraft Wiki covers the basics.
    In short, install java, grab appropriate server software, tweak server.properties/other settings and enjoy.

Mojang's software is fine, there are custom thirdparty offerings but you're unlikely to need them.
    Running the client on the same machine as the server is supposed to be pretty resource hungry, but then some minecraft users are convinced you need a monster of a PC to run the server alone... Experiment and see how it goes. Worst case you could repurpose an old laptop or make a homeserver.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    Well that was about as easy as you guys said. Run the server, IPConfig to grab your IP, connect from the clients.

A little girl's whole year was made when I came around the corner in game "I can see you!"

I <3 this game

-Digi
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    You're a badass daddy. Just sayin'.