Couch to 5k (or OMG, I'm actually running, and not from a bear, nor am I on fire!)

CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
edited February 2011 in Fitness
Well my mother-in-law started this program that is called Couch to 5k. I got interested in it so I've decided to get off my duff and start it too. It basically is a 9 week program that starts off slow and builds you up to being able to run a 5k race. I have never been one for running, but I have been disappointed at my weight and general lack of fitness. I figured if my 50+ mother-in-law can do it, I can too. So when I started last Saturday it took me 30 mins to do 1.5 miles. Last night, I did 2 miles in 28 minutes. Still badly out of shape but it's a start. The plan is to make it to a 5k on Daytona Beach in May. Hopefully I can keep at it and make it. I'm pretty sure I've run more in the past week than I have in the past year.

Comments

• clifford_cooleyclifford_cooley Arkansas, USA Member
    edited March 2010
    I must admit that when I read this, I was thinking about all the scams I have read about. (Couch to $5K) :lol:

Anyway, Good luck on your journey. :)
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Crazy Joe wrote:
    Well my mother-in-law started this program that is called Couch to 5k. I got interested in it so I've decided to get off my duff and start it too. It basically is a 9 week program that starts off slow and builds you up to being able to run a 5k race. I have never been one for running, but I have been disappointed at my weight and general lack of fitness. I figured if my 50+ mother-in-law can do it, I can too. So when I started last Saturday it took me 30 mins to do 1.5 miles. Last night, I did 2 miles in 28 minutes. Still badly out of shape but it's a start. The plan is to make it to a 5k on Daytona Beach in May. Hopefully I can keep at it and make it. I'm pretty sure I've run more in the past week than I have in the past year.

Good for you man.

I have been taking better care of myself lately, and what you find, is its kind of addictive when you start setting reasonable goals for yourself. Think of that extra mile as reaching level 3...
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    For some reason when I saw this in the new threads, I thought it was a Folding thread. Then I actually looked.

Good work, Joe. Keep it up! (that's what SHE said)

Make sure you actually do some practice runs on the beach, running in sand is more tiring than running on pavement.
  • boricua9215boricua9215 Hollywood, FL.
    edited April 2010
    GHoosdum wrote:
    Make sure you actually do some practice runs on the beach, running in sand is more tiring than running on pavement.

And it's better for your knees.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    Update time, Joe! How's it going?
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    The funny thing about 5k's are that they become addicting. It's fun to run along peers of all ability and age (especially if you're the competitive type). Of course, it requires that you enjoy running as well.

updates?
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    I had been putting off starting C25K, but am getting dressed right now to start!
    edited April 2010
    natravis wrote:
    I had been putting off starting C25K, but am getting dressed right now to start!

Hell to the yes. Do it! Make your own thread and let us know about your progress!
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    I just started Week 4. I had to take some time off because I was sick so I repeated Week 2 and got back on it. Tuesday I ran 5 mintes at a time twice and three minutes once and I was about dead at the end of it, but at least I did it.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    excellent dude, glad you're sticking to it!
    edited May 2010
    I just finished week 5 and I managed to run 20 minutes without stopping. I'm pretty sure I've not run that long at once without stopping in quite some time.
    edited February 2011
    Well a bit of an update. I finished the program and manged to run a 5k last spring. Over the summer I tore a ligament in my ankle and had to stop running. I decided to finally get back on it after New Year's and I joined a local running group that specializes in training for a 5K. I am now just starting Week 3 of my restart. I am planning on running a 5k in April.

My mother in law wants me to run a half marathon with her at Disney in October. I have no idea if I'll be able to make that goal but I'm going to try. As a side note I've also managed to lose 10 pounds in two weeks.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    Nice work, Joe!
    edited February 2011
    Joe! Is the running still rocking your world?
    edited February 2011
    I'm still going... Week 6 down...
  • CaffeineMeCaffeineMe Cedar Rapids, IA
    Waking this thread up! I finished W4D3 this morning, almost sorta kinda looking forward to Week 5 starting Monday. Sorta.
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    This looks interesting. I might have to give it a go. Biggest hurdle I've had to doing outside exercisy things out here, though, is the triple-digit temperature. Guess I'll have a use for my CamelBak again :D

....now where the hell did I put it?
    Well if you run outside in the heat, you'll sweat off the pounds. :-) I have the same problem down here in Florida. I signed up for another 5k Memorial Day Weekend so I'm looking forward to that.
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian
    I started C25k a while back and lost track of it since I didn't run on the schedule they said to (3 times a week), I did get up to running about 2 miles at a time though with a small break after a mile.
    Well if you run outside in the heat, you'll sweat off the pounds. :-) I have the same problem down here in Florida. I signed up for another 5k Memorial Day Weekend so I'm looking forward to that.
    Do you use a backpack water delivery system, or have you found a better method?
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    I don't have a camelbak I just run with weights in my knapsack (Waiting on some ankle-weights to arrive) and a set of water bottles.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited April 2012
    He uses a sweat and urine recycling suit, like in Dune.

//edit: inb4 Bear Grylls joke.
    He uses a sweat and urine recycling suit, like in Dune.

I got one of those from a guy behind a goodwill, except it was pants, and it was really hard to squeeze the water back out. I guess you get what you pay for.
    I just have a regular Camelbak waterbottle with a quick grip strap. It has a little zippered pocket that I can put my ID/Keys, etc in.

It's this one. I have the red one.
    http://www.amazon.com/Camelbak-Quick-Podium-Chill-Bottle/dp/B006ZT7JMM

Just went for my first walk/run. I'm doing barefoot running (though in Vibrams cause the burrs here will put you on your ass), and there's a park (though it hurts to call it that) right next door that's a good size for it and has some equipment (though no water fountain) scattered around. I walked out, stretched, then got through two run/walk cycles before I ran home to call it quits for the day. I stretched again, did some pushups/situps (I won't post numbers >_>), then took a shower. I can now barely move. Better than last night when I tried to push-start my bike (some fucker knocked it over today =/ ); I thought I was gonna throw up, but couldn't do anything but lay on the floor. So I figure that if me fifteen years ago met me today, young me could totally kick my ass. That's almost motivation to go run a bit more tonight... (my legs say "no.")

Yay, getting in shape. Thanks, Joe! :D

Oh, and cool bottle. I looked, but it doesn't look like they make the Camelbak I've got anymore. It's just a small backpack with the over-strap mouth thing and a little zipper pocket. I think it was the smallest they made at the time, and it looks like now they all have a flap over the reservoir cap. My biggest concerns are the weight on my back and the straps being hot to wear, but it's probably unfounded. I'll just have to try it (after I clean it) and see.
  • one234hone234h Downingtown, PA [USA]
    I came here to start a thread like this today!

I am doing my first day today. The accessibility of this program appeals to me.

Critical Considerations:
    A) I am physically lazy but have not always been, and see this as (re) achievable.
    B) I have to kids that I am going to have to tow with me in the stroller.
    C) I will use Struble Trail, starting in the southern end.
    D) I have made this my laptop background and will be moving a folder along the days as I do them.

FYI: r/c25k exists and has a few resources available on the right-hand side.

This is where I ask for tips, anecdotes and/or dire warnings.
  • one234hone234h Downingtown, PA [USA]
    Week 1, Day 1:

Frequency of updates will be "as is" -for those who care- because I tend to be a perfectionist and I can see myself abandoning the program because I've not kept current with the updates and not being able to take the crushing pressure. I'm running M-W-F.

Breathing: Like that of an 85 year old asthmatic asbestos taste-tester.
    Love handles: itchy
    Joints: (lol) Above and behind left knee sore.
    Mental status: Exalted almost to the point of megalomania.

I'm sure it is like this for everyone.
    bad_pokerface.jpg
    Just an update, I haven't done anything since day 1. I hurt the crap out of my ankle and am waiting for it to get tolerable again.

Good luck @one234h :D Just pay attention to your body as you go and don't push yourself too hard. It's less about doing a lot now and more about doing something, and doing it often enough that it gets easier. If you have to work up slowly to the Week 1 set, then do it. Nothing wrong with that at all.
    Absolutely. There is nothing wrong with repeating days or weeks if you are unable to make it to the next one. The first time I did this program I repeated a few weeks.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    I'm on week 6 of C25K. Really loving it so far. Some recommendations:

1. Stretch before running, but especially after the run.
    2. Drink plenty of water each day. Hydration makes a HUGE difference in how you feel.
    3. Get fit for good running shoes. They're an investment to your comfort and will help prevent injury. It's $100 (more or less) that's very well spent. Go to a running store that will put you on a treadmill and analyze your foot strike.