Building PC for Parents

QuadWhoreQuadWhore Toledo, Ohio, U.S. Icrontian
edited May 2012 in Hardware
I'm putting together a basic computer for my parents. This look good to you guys?

Ultra 450W PSU
WD 1Tb Drive
Patriot G2 Series 8gb sticks, @ 1333mhz
Intel Core i3-2100 @ 3.10G's, lga 1155
Intel DH67CLB3, lga 1155 of course
I was just more concerned the psu. I think it should be able to sustain this weak system.

Looks all fine to me. I excluded the other parts as they are of no worry to me: Cd/dvd drive, OS, Case, etc.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2012
    I work for AMD, so you should know this before I engage shill mode. HOWEVER...

Go to the store and find a notebook that uses the AMD E-450 or E-350 processors. Check out the performance doing the things that they would enjoy doing.

If you like it, you can get a miniITX motherboard with one of those CPUs onboard for a hundo. Throw in some RAM, a hard drive and a small case, and you're done. Should be cheaper than the system you have there, not to mention much easier to power and (drumroll) fanless.

Plus HD YouTube will actually work. It'll be hit or miss on that Core i3, if your parents care about that.
  • QuadWhoreQuadWhore Toledo, Ohio, U.S. Icrontian
    Thanks for the advice, that's a brilliant idea that I'll certainly look into... literally right now. To the internet!
    In the end, I decided going with a board with the E-350. Thanks for the advice, that was an outstandingly good response
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    Eh just buy them a Mac mini and call it a day
    My parents may be older, but they definitely aren't disabled.
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    zing!
  • doabarrellrolldoabarrellroll San Jose, CA Icrontian
    +1 on the Mac Mini. Those things are bulletproof now and are god awfully easy to use.

That way, less parental tech support needed!
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian

less parental tech support needed!
    DING DING we have a winner!

• TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    The hardware list looks ok, but I'd use a quality power supply. Corsair, OCZ, etc. 500 watts should be fine.

Maybe add a low end inexpensive graphics card, like a 4500-4600 series Radeon or 5500-5600 series.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    Yeah, def need gfx. You dont want that midnight call because your parents are laggin on the last boss of doom3.