Icrontic's new subscriber program

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited August 2010 in Community

Comments

• BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    I want this. Now. And it shall be done.

Update: Now signed up for a full year. For $90, it's totally worth it - it's the equivalent cost of a just couple new game releases, and will probably be a better experience anyway. Would I rather have Icrontic Deluxe, or 2 copies of Halo: Reach? Hmmm. :D

The features I really am looking forward to the most is the Newsrag since I have a hard time keeping up with it all yet don't want to miss out on the laughs, and the "best-of-the-best" guide since I also have a tough time keeping up with the breakneck speed of new hardware releases.

In closing, I think it's certainly a worthwhile investment. For those wondering, yes, I use the term "investment". Icrontic is something that what you get out of it is proportionate to what you put into it. In exchange for supporting Icrontic, you get some neat bonuses and that swell "did a good deed" feeling. The money helps keep the community alive, as hosting a site of this magnitude ain't cheap.

So subscribe. It's a Good Thingâ„¢.
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Shoot, I just subscribed like ..2 days before this. Do I still get the loot?

I'm super excited for the System Guide. Please throw in a link to your NewEgg affiliation on that guide so I remember if I build a new one.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    So when you subscribe does the Newsrag auto send to the e-mail tied to your account? How do I turn it off?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Just to be clear: The TF2 server is not paid for by us; it is a totally separate entity that is funded by donations from regular players.
    edited July 2010
    When you subscribe, the newsrag will go to the email you registered with; whatever is in your current user profile.

If you don't want it (why wouldn't you? :wtf:) just let me know and I'll remove your address from the database.
    edited July 2010
    Just to be clear: The TF2 server is not paid for by us; it is a totally separate entity that is funded by donations from regular players.

Ah, thanks, I did not know that. Learns something new every day. :D My original post has now been updated to reflect this for the sake of clarity and accuracy.
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Shoot, I just subscribed like ..2 days before this. Do I still get the loot?

What he asked!
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, if you subscribed at the previous rate, you'll be grandfathered in for four months
    edited July 2010
    But it said a year when I signed up!
    edited July 2010
    The benefits you received from signing up (A year of no ads) will remain;

I should have clarified:

Subscribers at the previous rate will receive four months of access to the newsletter and four months of access to the system guide.
    edited July 2010
    sweet +1 for doing right by the people who are already subscribed so they can see what they will be missing.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    On it next time I get paid.
    edited July 2010
    For those on the fence, we're showing our first newsletter so you can see what you can expect with the newsletter:

The Inaugural Delightful Experience Newsrag.

I've got tons of ideas on how to expand on this. I may include hot deals of the week, more web stats (people seem fascinated with Icrontic's stats), maybe a folding team leaderboard, and some other surprises.

Ideas/suggestions? What would you like to see?
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    moar boner
    edited July 2010
    Great feedback so far :-/
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    I actually was going to request more stats. I like those sort of things.

I would like to see some wrap ups (or shoot, even entire logs) from IRC. I know I miss some good links by not always being there. Maybe an image gallery.... all the good NSFW stuff is posted in IRC.

Also in the IRL section, I enjoyed the updates on the happenings at ICHQ. Needs Moar, maybe use your Idea of the dogs writing articles for the subscribers.

Maybe highlight a Subscriber each month/week? Do a small paragraph writeup introducing the subscriber and their involvement in the community? Use the news rag as a way to give exclusive access to learn more about the community.

Subscriber only events would be cool, online or IRL. Though I have no idea what that would involve.

That's what I got for now.

-Digi
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Just out of curiosity, is the format of the newsrag narrow so that it can be better viewed on phones? Even on my paltry 1366-width netbook screen, it looks squeeshed horizontally.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    It's just the recommended width for email campaigns in general because you never know what crazy client people are using for email.
  • ButtersButters CA Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    I actually read the first Newsrag on an iPhone. Looked fine for me.
    edited August 2010
    Just read your second Icrontian Newsrag. Since I never mentioned my thoughts about the first one either, I wanted to tell you that it looks fantastic. It covers exactly what was promised: a week(s)-in-review of some of the more significant things that occurred that would be of major interest to the Icrontic community. I found it to be of excellent worth, as it caught me up on some of the events and happenings that I wasn't previously aware of. For example, had no idea BobbyDigi is about to be a dad.

My only suggestion: I love the fact that you've highlighted Icrontians and the events they are hosting, such as _k_ with Shattered Horizon, and Annes with Borderlands. Perhaps you should have a small section dedicated to "community events this week". Those that want their event added can always request a space for a shout-out. I think sticking the community events on the right sidebar (on top or below the "Traffic and Top Stuff") would take the Newsrag one step further: to really push community outreach and show everyone what our rich community is currently offering, without the need to be up-to-date on reading the forums.
    edited August 2010
    Sounds good. I'll do that next week :)
    edited August 2010
    Sounds good. I'll do that next week :)

Sweet, I look forward to it. Glad you found my suggestion useful. :vimp:
  • one234hone234h Downingtown, PA [USA]
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    It is not live at this time.
  • one234hone234h Downingtown, PA [USA]
    I agree.

lol. Cool.
    The new subscription program will be launching soon :D
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    You said that a while back D:
    I want to give you money and feel special for it! :(
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    Me too!
    Maybe @lincoln can give you a more accurate timeline.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    It's complicated. :-/