EPIC 2012 Detroit Modern History Bike Tour

djmephdjmeph Detroit Icrontian
edited May 2012 in Community
Amy Elliot BraggDetroit historian Amy Elliot Bragg, author of the book A Hidden History of Detroit, and I, DJ Meph, have teamed up to plan an amazing outing for Friday morning at EPIC 2012. We have planned a 14 mile bike tour that will cover some of the most notable places in Detroit, and as tour guide, Amy will be able to share a comprehensive history of each point of interest along the way.

Map of the bike tour:
Detroit Bike Tour

Points of Interest:
  • Detroit Riverwalk
  • Belle Isle (Scott Fountain, Conservatory)
  • Gabriel Richard Park
  • Elmwood Cemetery
  • Heidelberg Project
  • Eastern Market
  • Brewery Park
  • Dequindre Cut
  • Henry Ford's Ship Factory
  • Renaissance Center
  • Campus Martius
  • Spirit of Detroit
  • Joe Louis' Fist
  • Hart plaza
  • Detroit Princess
  • Last stop on the Underground Railroad
  • Chief Pontiac's Landing
The tour will start at Wheelhouse Bike Rental on the Detroit Riverwalk on the morning of Friday, June 22nd at 9:30am, and will last until approximately 12:30pm. You do not have to be a triathlete to finish this tour, we will go at a slow pace (avg 5mph) and have many stops along the way to rest. Feel free to bring your own bike if you wish, we'll figure out a way to get it down to the riverfront. Bike rental is available, however, from the Detroit Wheelhouse.

Please RSVP and pay here no later than June 15th. The cost is $25 with bike rental, $10 if you bring your own bike.

Comments

• djmephdjmeph Detroit Icrontian
    edited June 2012
    RSVP'd so far:

DJ Meph
    Annes
    Tushon
    PirateNinja
    Midga
    Lincoln
    Aaron
    HumerusMeg
    BobbyDigi
    Fatcat
    RedDragon
    DogDragon
    Drasnor
    Cola
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    You should be able to, I can.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    This is pretty sweet. I'm in!
    Oh I also meant to put ... in!
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    Looks like we would be back 30 min before MTG tourney... If that is correct, consider me in.

-Digi
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    IN!
    @BobbyDigi Yes, we actually moved the tour schedule back 30 minutes to make sure that everyone gets back in time for the Magic tourney.
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    I'll probably be the only ass in safety gear, but does the rental place offer helmets? If not does someone have one I can borrow? I'm clean, no louses.
    I'll probably be the only ass in safety gear, but does the rental place offer helmets? If not does someone have one I can borrow? I'm clean, no louses.
    I would hope they came with it as a measure of liability reduction. "we provided helmets but they declined to use them"
    Goggle Fu testing complete. Result: Success

http://www.wheelhousedetroit.com/Rentals.aspx
    Helmets and locks are included with rentals at no additional charge.
    -Digi
    Aha! I fail at Google, believe it or not I did try before posting.

OK in that case I'd love to do this as well. I will rsvp.
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    So who is doing the tandem bike? lol
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    In.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    I'll check with @PurpleMonkeyGirl. I'm definitely interested.
    One thing I'd like to mention, perhaps not a lot of people know about Brewery Park, but this is something I am going to become very familiar with soon. I just accepted a job offer at Crain's Detroit Business, and the building I'm working at is the main building at Brewery Park. It used to be the Stroh's brewing factory. It's a neat piece of history, and inside the building they have an old printing press on display. It's a cool place, and also where I will be spending my 9-5 as of Monday.

• AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    I just accepted a job offer at Crain's Detroit Business
    COMMENCE WITH PARTY TIME. So happy for you, Norm. Destroy those asses with your awesome.

Wow congrats Meph!
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    So who is doing the tandem bike? lol
    Everyone used to joke about that when you and I were biking a lot, so maybe we should?
    edited May 2012
    Do it, it'll cost $2 less. I'll totally reimburse you a dollar each. (and stuff it in your pants)
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    Lol, that would be a sight.
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    edited May 2012
    In. :D
    Thanks for convincing me!
    Awesome, we got a nice group going so far. Just a reminder for everyone else, there are 15 days left to register.
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    Awesome, we got a nice group going so far. Just a reminder for everyone else, there are 15 days left to register.
    I actually sat up in bed last night horrified that I'd missed the deadline. Then I remembered I hadn't. Then I remembered I'd missed the deadline to use my $10 credit at Lush. Net result was sorta sad, but mostly asleep.
    I am aware I called in but have yet to register. Some info came to light last night that may cause me to go into 'spend as little as possible' mode. Pretty sure I can work it out and get registered by the deadline, just givin ya's a status update.

-Digi
    10 days left. :-)
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    Alright well now that it appears I'm going 100% (Albeit arriving Thursday) I'm in for this, should have word for this tomorrow.
  • HumerusMegHumerusMeg Something, something medical professional, Fitness bitch, Sexy chef Austin Icrontian
    So In! :D
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    Wish I could participate :(
    Anybody else want in? I'm going to put the deposit down on the bikes tomorrow, so you still have time to sign up if you want in. Thanks to everyone who signed up, this is going to be a lot of fun!
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    In. I'll need the exercise