Category remix

LincLinc OwnerDetroit Icrontian
edited May 2012 in Community
I laid waste to the categories list tonight, condensing and rearranging. I also switched to a more-old-school table-based view for the All Categories page. Hopefully made things a little more relevant to where people are talking.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Oh god, the categories page is so much more readable now. Thank you thank you thank you.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    The problem is I don't see the follow/unfollow option using this view. Looks like a Vanilla dev forgot something. :range:
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    I really like it, it's cleaner. I still get information overload though -- just a few easy tweaks could help imo. I'll leave them as suggestions, but regardless I really like it and I'm very thankful for you constant work to improve the site for all of us. You are the man Lincoln.

What if you removed any text that says:
    "All Categories"
    "Category"
    "Child Categories"
    It's not necessary to have that text, that sort of meta data is intuitive if the design implies it (which it does).

Then remove the discussions and comments columns (neat stats, but messy), and then moved the "Latest Post" column over to the left a bit.
    Then give the H2s (gaming, technology, etc) a different color background so they clearly became the "parent" of their sub-categories.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    Could the catagories be made available in Mobile format as well?
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    Could the catagories be made available in Mobile format as well?
    ^
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    It would lend a lot more condensing if the video game categories were listed as child categories of video gaming, rather than all being fully their own categories.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    I concur with CB.
    Those things. I did them.

(Except mobile... apparently I have several mobile issues to attend to)
    Wow, looks even better! Can we get a visual separator between the child category links? Right now they look like one long link, as much as I wouldn't mind playing World of Warcraft Guild Wars 2 Battlefield 3.
    @Thrax Refresh til you get the new CSS.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    That looks great! Are Minecraft and TF2 too important to be child boards? :D
    @CB Yus. ;) Too active.
    @Thrax Refresh til you get the new CSS.
    Oh, so sexy. :D
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    Linc, you rule.

Haven't gone to the bugs thread cause it's huge, but I've noticed a couple mobile issues, like no link to discussions and clicking links not working.

Also, since I'm derailing anyway, having a link to the discussion version of an article on the article page would rock socks. I prefer to post with the forum interface and not the article interface.
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    Awesome I love it, thank you for always getting feedback from us and keeping us involved. You are a kind community developer, a sir, and a gentleman.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    Linc, this place looks on fire hot right now! There is now a very clean richness to the site that I don't see anywhere else. ;)

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    Lincoln, congrats on the new look!
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    One little thing about the new look, the unfollow option seems to have disappeared for unwanted categories to be not followed. :( Older unfollowings are honored still. :)
    One little thing about the new look, the unfollow option seems to have disappeared for unwanted categories to be not followed. :( Older unfollowings are honored still. :)
    Yeah, unfortunately this is a core Vanilla bug that needs to be fixed, not something I should be doing in the theme, so it's going to take a bit longer to fix that.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    Just to reiterate for anyone a bit confused: if you're seeing the subcategories squished next to one another, rather than stacked on top of one another, pound CTRL+F5 a bunch until it corrects itself.
  • as much as I wouldn't mind playing World of Warcraft Guild Wars 2 Battlefield 3.
    Hmm... the polish and bug fixing of WoW, the gameplay of GW2, and the graphics of Bf3? In.

Sidenote: the categories page feels a lot nicer. Specific categories are much easier to get to.

Dark Theme Request: can the divider lines (border-bottom) be made darker? Currently they are barely distinguishable against the dark-gray background.
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    Holy crap there are divider lines?
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Holy crap there are divider lines?
    The power of refresh compels you!