Free hard drive imaging software recommendations?

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited May 2012 in Hardware
I want to make a disk image from an external USB enclosure and restore it to a new drive. In the past, I used (very happily) Acronis TrueImage 9. I still have my TrueImage 9 license, but it's incompatible with Windows 7 x64.

If there's a free program that does this, I'd appreciate a recommendation. I'd rather not spend the $30 to upgrade to the latest version of Acronis, but I will if I have no other choice.

Thanks!

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Try Clonezilla.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    I use dd for Windows. It's a clone of a Linux/Unix command of the same name.
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    If you want to make disk images use daemon tools lite or if you don't mind spending money PowerISO. I personally use Daemon tools and have never had a problem with it
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    I'm hoping for something that I can run in windows to make a clone image from an external drive to another external drive.
  • trolltroll Windsor, Nova Scotia Icrontian
    edited May 2012
    http://www.xxclone.com/ will meet your needs I think.

Free Version has basic features.
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    You could always rar it up using WinRAR or something along those line and then mount it with daemon tools. It's not listed as a supported format but it's able to mount rars
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited May 2012
    I thnk you could also use U.B.CD's Parted Magic. It can make, copy, move, and delete images. It does run from a CD boot (UBCD ISO makes a bootable CD when burned), but is graphically interfaced. It can detect USB external HDs and make, move, resize, and delete partitions on them.

It can also make an extended partition for Windows drives/partitions to be made in, and likes NTFS and other file systems just fine.

U.B.CD and Parted Magic are free.
    I tried XXclone but it will only do disk-to-disk; I need disk to file image, then file image to disk.

Thanks! I'll try the other recommendations.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    Um, if a disk has multiple partitions on it, you can copy them at the same size and get all the files in each one by one, and thus BUILD everything BUT a boot sector on the copied disk. Each partition you copy will have all the files in the original partition, and if the copy fails you can try another copy from the original. This works fine for data.

The above is how to step-by-step rebuild from a disk to a new disk. The file system sets will each be intact in the their new partitions.
    I ended up buying Acronis True Image 2012. It worked spectacularly. Thanks for the suggestions :)