Nether portals

Bad-Mr-FrostyBad-Mr-Frosty Member
edited May 2012 in Minecraft
Hey guys just wondering, do all nether portals go to one specific portal? We built one in our home but it leads to an already made portal and we can't use it to get back, so we have to find a portal to spawn and walk home from there. Can someone tell me why this is? Is it just how portals work? or is it like a server feature?

Comments

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    You have to build at least 1200 meters away from an existing portal to make it build a new one in the nether, and even then, it will be in sight of the existing one.
  • Cool I don't have a problem being in sight distance of the other portal, just want an easier way back. How do you measure meters though?
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Cool I don't have a problem being in sight distance of the other portal, just want an easier way back. How do you measure meters though?
    Look at your coordinates before and then after. Each unit is a meter.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited May 2012
    In case you're curious, it all has to do with the way that nether works. Since 1 meter in the nether is 8(?) meters in the normal world, it's not possible to always maintain a 1 to 1 mapping of portals between the two worlds. If they attempted to do so, there would be portals all over the place in the nether and portals would end up overlapping each other. Thus, if there are two portals within a certain vicinity of each other, they will both map to the same one on the other side.
  • I got it working guys thanks! I think it only has to be 1024, not 1200
  • ErrorNullTurnipErrorNullTurnip Illinois Icrontian
    The way Minecraft chooses which portal to use is simply whichever portal is closest to you (after converting coordinates between overworld and nether). It is possible to manually relocate portals (in the nether) so that travel is possible over much shorter distances.