Laptop on fire! (Almost)

JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
edited May 2012 in Hardware
Hi.

So I woke up this morning, and proceeded to turn on my laptop. It seemed to boot just fine until it got to the login screen where it just shut down completely. I tried turning it back on, but the machine only gave a small "ticking" sound. The screen and fans turned on for half a sec, and then went dead. The machine also started to smell like burning/melting plastic/hot electronics (kinda hard for me to describe in English). Thinking it was overheating, considering it got all the way to login at first attempt, i screwed of the bottom plate and got out my compressed air. Gave the fans a few blasts, and my room instantly felt like an Egyptian tomb. When I was confident most of the dust was gone, I proceeded to turn the bottom back on. I then discovered that one of the fan contacts wasn't attached, so I attached it. Other than that I couldn't see anything immediately wrong. After putting everything back together, I attached the charger and let it sit for a while to cool off. An hour or so later I attempted to boot it again. This time it gave a series of "ticks", but nothing happened. There was a burning smell, and a tiny sliver of smoke coming from one of the fans. I immediately unplugged it from the power source and put it next to the fire extinguisher. I've been in contact with the manufacturer who agrred to take it in and have a look at it, so I'm not gonna try to fix this myself.
I'm just wondering if any of you have any idea what might cause this? Locked fan (not spinning), short circuit on the mobo, dust stuck somewhere, or a leaky capacitor?
As I've said, it's already going to service, but I'm curious.

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    All of those things are possible. If you are saying one of the fan parts wasn't fully attached, it could have easily overheated and caused some part of the motherboard to melt and, in turn, cause a bridging of two parts of the motherboard that are not supposed to bridge and short something. Definitely something that should go back and be repaired. The large amount of dust also contributes to wear in terms of weight, making the fan work harder to move the air/longer to cool PC because the dust insulates the parts which need cooling, and both of those can contribute to an overheat/short.