Gay comic character in DC's New 52

DogDragonDogDragon Jacksonville, Fl Icrontian
edited May 2012 in Lifestyle
Ok just heard that DC Comics, said this weekend that one of their most identifiable (but as of yet unnamed) straight characters will soon be coming out of the closet, according to a report

So who do you think it will be? I think Aquaman cause than who would care

Comments

• CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    They said "popular" characters. That rules out Aquaman. :-)
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited May 2012
    As usual, Fox news has it wrong.

It's not that a character will be coming out. DC is planning on introducing a homosexual character, this could be a charcter who has not yet been reintroduced in the New 52 or it could be a brand new hero, but it wont be any of the top-tier heroes. It will not be anyone 'popular' unless they become popular after this, because all the 'popular' characters have already been reintroduced in their new form.

It's not even really news. They said over a year ago that there would be at least one homosexual character in the New 52 universe. The news is that one of the execs recently said that it might be a character who we already know from the pre-New 52 story-world, when previously they said that it would not be. (Which they probably only said in order to avoid headlines like "Could Superman be gay!?")
  • DogDragonDogDragon Jacksonville, Fl Icrontian
    The news is that one of the execs recently said that it might be a character who we already know from the pre-New 52 story-world, when previously they said that it would not be. (Which they probably only said in order to avoid headlines like "Could Superman be gay!?")
    So it's not a new hero but one of the ones out is coming out.
    lol @CrazyJoe ok well how about Batman ? He hangs out in a secret cave with a boy and didn't like catwoman or trust Batgirl
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    Fox News, wrong? Whoa!! But "Could Superman be gay?" is such a grabbing headline!! It just wouldn't have the same appeal
    The news is that one of the execs recently said that it might be a character who we already know from the pre-New 52 story-world, when previously they said that it would not be. (Which they probably only said in order to avoid headlines like "Could Superman be gay!?")
    So it's not a new hero but one of the ones out is coming out.
    Last year DC rebooted their entire superhero comics world, and reintroduced all of their heroes anew starting with Issue #1. Some of them haven't yet been seen since then, so it might be one of those. It will not be one of the heroes which has already been reintroduced. Superman, Batman, Aguaman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Green Arrow, Jonah Hex, and a couple dozen others are all set and established in the new world. None of them will be 'coming out'. They said pretty clearly that they will not be 'changing' any character's sexual orientation. Any homosexual character will be homosexual from their introduction, and it will be an important part of their identity.

The list of characters who have yet to be rebooted includes names like The Jive and Hawklady, it might be one of these minor characters.
    lol @CrazyJoe ok well how about Batman ? He hangs out in a secret cave with a boy and didn't like catwoman or trust Batgirl
    Also: The New 52 batman has crazy, angry, guilty sex with Selina Kyle on a regular basis.
  • RedDragonRedDragon CASSELBERRY, FL.
    i think it's the flash
    characters who have yet to be rebooted includes names like The Jive and Hawklady, it might be one of these minor characters.
    They said "popular" characters.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited May 2012
    Images of Catwoman and Supergirl dance in my head.... Does that make me shallow?

Seriously though, this is just a sad publicity stunt. It's been done, it had more bite 20 years ago. If DC really wanted to do it with some artistic integrity they would not tease it, they would just allow a writer to take a character and explore the issues.

DC's not the one exploiting this for publicity. You're thinking of Fox. DC only mentioned it because they were specifically asked at a conference whether more gay characters were coming along in the New 52.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Guys, Fox is fair and balanced.
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited May 2012
    Guys, Fox is fair and balanced all about warning you that ping pong being will be funded by taxpayer money.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited May 2012
    Guys, Fox is fair and balanced all about warning you that ping pong being terrorists will be funded by taxpayer money.

Fix't
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    Pretty sure this is old news - DC introduced Bunker in Teen Titans #3, which is a couple months old.

http://www.toplessrobot.com/2011/09/dc_sees_marvels_half-black_half-latino_spider-man.php
  • I remember the hubbub surrounding NorthStar of Alpha Flight in the early 90's. It was cutting edge then, but ultimately I believe it was more about generating marketing buzz than it was about telling a good story.

In many superhero comics romantic relationships are superfluous. In some rare cases like Spider Man, it enhances the story, but in many, it's just there for window dressing. How does a writer make it organic to the story, how does a writer take an "iconic" character that everyone has made assumptions about and just inject homosexuality as something to differentiate him/her? If a writer can do that, great, go for it, I hope it's beautiful, but if it's just a way to create excitement for sales of an issue (which it likely will be), then I'm not sure anyone, including our friends in the gay community should be that excited. It just seems like a form of exploitation to me.
    edited May 2012
    Wait
    I couldn't let it go: http://www.tgdaily.com/entertainment/63547-why-fox-news-is-wrong-about-dcs-gay-comic-book-hero
    That was wrote by you.
    So going by your understanding Fox and other News got it wrong, but they could have got it right and you got it wrong.

edited May 2012
    Question
    How does a writer make it organic to the story, how does a writer take an "iconic" character that everyone has made assumptions about and just inject homosexuality as something to differentiate him/her? If a writer can do that, great, go for it, I hope it's beautiful
    Answer
    Last year DC rebooted their entire superhero comics world, and reintroduced all of their heroes anew starting with Issue #1. Some of them haven't yet been seen since then, so it might be one of those. It will not be one of the heroes which has already been reintroduced. Superman, Batman, Aguaman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Green Arrow, Jonah Hex, and a couple dozen others are all set and established in the new world. None of them will be 'coming out'. They said pretty clearly that they will not be 'changing' any character's sexual orientation. Any homosexual character will be homosexual from their introduction, and it will be an important part of their identity.

The list of characters who have yet to be rebooted includes names like The Jive and Hawklady, it might be one of these minor characters.
    Question/Statement
    but if it's just a way to create excitement for sales of an issue (which it likely will be), then I'm not sure anyone, including our friends in the gay community should be that excited. It just seems like a form of exploitation to me.
    Answer
    DC's not the one exploiting this for publicity. You're thinking of Fox. DC only mentioned it because they were specifically asked at a conference whether more gay characters were coming along in the New 52.
    I imagine that DC is doing it because they are want to recognize the change in societal standards from the early comic book era (where being gay was hidden or suppressed) to now (where we are finally coming to the point as a nation that being gay is normal)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

So going by your understanding Fox and other News got it wrong, but they could have got it right and you got it wrong.
    Except for... the facts. You know, from Marvel itself.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited May 2012
    Wait
    I couldn't let it go: http://www.tgdaily.com/entertainment/63547-why-fox-news-is-wrong-about-dcs-gay-comic-book-hero
    That was wrote by you.
    While the possibility of CB being wrong is always there (we all do it sometimes), in this case he is 100% correct.

The fact is that the players involved at DC have stated "it will be a character who we have not yet seen in the New 52". You would have to ignore that official statement all together to even consider Superman or Batman as an option because both have already been seen in the New 52 as straight characters.

It's like Fox's headline when Prime was on "Will taxpayers money fund Call of Duty?" We know the answer to this is No because the taxpayer money in question was for educational games and not for big publishers.

Now we have the headline "Is Superman gay?" while we already know the answer is No because he has already started his New 52 storyline.

Remember the pile of shit that Prime was up against? That would be a proper representation of the writer of that article in this case. Maybe that is why he/she didn't even put a pen name on it.

-Digi
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    ^

They do it simply to grab people's attention regardless of what the story is actually about.
  • DC: Home of the world's most beautiful heroes.

Its a neat step. I think if they revolve the comic around nothing but that, of course it'd suck. But if they do what they did wih the Ultimate Spiderman Reboot, then shit, I'm ok with the Justice League being multicultural.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited May 2012
    Just because you reboot the universe does not mean that the audience looses all concept of who the characters are.

I could get off on a major tangent here (which makes me realize Icrontic really needs a comics discussion board), but what I was going to say is that there is no bigger enemy to the comics business than the old school notion of required universe continuity. It over complicates the product for casual readers, it makes it impossible for the less hardcore to follow, it's just plain bad for their business. Books should be self contained, arcs should begin and end in a number of issues, or maybe a year tops. The idea of this elaborate new 52 re launch looks like its designed to simplify things at first, like big events, such as Crisis and Zero Hour were designed to do, reboot, wipe the slate clean for some characters, a chance to correct a few writing missteps, but ultimately it will end up a complete garbled mess again.

If I owned a company like DC, I'd do the mother of all reboots, I'd destroy all continuity, tell the writers they own their stories and get out of the way.
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    I'm calling the Question.

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    The call to question has been made; no debate is allowed on the motion for previous question. We will now commence a vote to end debate, of which a two-thirds majority will be required.
    I'm calling the Question.

That appears to be Rorschach's girlfriend.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    Non-comic nerd here: Is that supposed to look like Michael Jackson?
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    Regarding the sexual orientation of the character:
    Regarding the sexual orientation of the character: