Introducing the VIA APC - a $49 Android computer

BasilBasil NubcaekEngland Icrontian
edited May 2012 in Science & Tech

Comments

• TheAlertHuskyTheAlertHusky Victoria BC Member
    This is awesome. I really want to buy one of these...are they for sale in retailers? Or would I have to buy it online?
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    I think stuff like this is cool as hell. Makes me want to put computers in every room of my home, and car.
    *will they be
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    edited May 2012
    Are they for sale in retailers? Or would I have to buy it online?
    They aren't quite at the stage of accepting orders but the boards will eventually be available at apc.io where you can sign up to be notified when pre-orders open.
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    Needs wireless.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Anyone know what ARM ISA the Wonderwhatever CPU is based on?
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    psssshhh, technical details mean nothing when they are providing us with a bicycle for your mind.
    edited May 2012
    Press release makes reference only to a WonderMedia ARM11 SoC.
    I would assume that means it'll be a PRIZM WM8750 (ARM1176JZF) as that's what's in the demo units pictured and it's the only ARM 11 SoC they currently produce but there's no official word yet.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Alright. An old ISA, the same as RPi, I think.
    Yep, 100MHz slower clock on the Pi though it could win out on the GPU front.

Actually, would you be able to wipe it and install Pi on it?
    Website hasn't updated but you can pre-order here.

Shipping is $38 for North America/Europe, so $87 all in.
    Not sure if I'm willing to risk customs with one but hopefully an EU distributor will import them.
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    Website hasn't updated but you can pre-order here.

Shipping is $38 for North America/Europe, so $87 all in.
    Not sure if I'm willing to risk customs with one but hopefully an EU distributor will import them.
    I saw that. Was going to be in for one until I saw that I'd be paying 80% cost again in shipping. Makes me start to seriously reconsider a beaglebone or raspberry pi... or, you know, none of them.

TBH, if I got the APC, I'd almost certainly be using it as a media box and way to play my Android games, and the 720p limitation makes me hesitate. I think this is going to go on the list right under the DSO Nano V2, or the DSO Quad (mostly if it ever gets the nifty wrist-mounted thing going on from the pre-production concept :3 (though the QA100 is tempting, too... )). ...anyway, yeah, this falls below O-Scope now.