D&D 5E playtest

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited May 2012 in Gaming
Has anyone here besides me gotten the D&D 5E playtest files? I just downloaded it tonight and am starting to flip through it. I think I'm going to do a playtest with my kids and girlfriend this week one night. The playtest contains a simple 2nd level adventure and some pre-made characters: two Clerics (different domains), a Wizard, a Rogue, and a Fighter.

The character sheets are MUCH simpler than any previous edition. They've done away with a lot of things from previous editions such as Reflex, Will, Fortitude. Hit dice are back, and they represent how much a character heals after a rest. At level 2, for example, a wizard has 2HD. His HD is a d4, so he rolls 2d4 to see how much he heals.

I haven't dived in too much yet, but it seems that they are aiming for vast simplification. Seriously, this feels a lot more like original D&D, or 1E AD&D. They've even done away with the need for a battlegrid and figurines. It feels really old school, but with modern refinements.

I'll let you guys know how it goes :)

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Here's an example of the vast simplification: This is an encounter area for the included adventure module:
    Notice the absence of the monster stat block? It's reduced to the most basic information; all you need to run the combat. Here's what the monster has, here's what his HP is, here's his AC, and here's the damage he deals.
    Skills are GONE. Just plain gone. That's amazing!
  • Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    Where can I get these files? I'll run it with my group if they're up to it.
    You have to be a member of DNDInsider and then sign up for the beta.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited May 2012
    Thank you for your interest in the D&D Next playtest! We are experiencing extremely high traffic which is resulting in slower than usual load times. We are implementing a solution to address this problem and will update you as soon as the fix is in place.

Please continue to check DNDNext.com for updates.

We thank you for your patience.
    The D&D Team
    :/
    Yeah it'll come. Just keep trying :)
    Jerks were supposed to send me an e-mail when it became available...
  • ColgereColgere Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
    I got it last night, after fighting through the download issues WoTC is having. I find the concept (and implementation) of advantage\disadvantage interesting.
    edited May 2012
    By "fighting through the download issues WoTC is having" did you mean "torrent that bitch"? because that's what I just did. It took all of 45 seconds.
    edited May 2012
    By "fighting through the download issues WoTC is having" did you mean "torrent that bitch"? because that's what I just did. It took all of 45 seconds.
    No, actually I found a post from WotC on WotC's forum with the direct link to the download that would work if you had already received the confirmation email.

Though "torrent that bitch" works just as well, from what I've been reading about the issue. :)
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    We need custom user titles back, because CB's needs to be set to "torrent that bitch" now!
    Back to discussion about the playtest, I also like how starting hp are determined. I might use the same method in the future, even in other systems like Pathfinder.
    Yeah, advantage/disadvantage seems pretty cool.
  • QuadyTheTurnipQuadyTheTurnip Icrontian
    edited May 2012
    Deleted until I can come back and give a better comment :P