Thermaltake Water2.0 review

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited May 2012 in Science & Tech

Comments

• GargGargoyle Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    Another benefit to the design: I know I'd feel a lot better transporting a computer with an AIO unit screwed to the case than I would with a giant cooler bolted (or worse, clipped) to the motherboard.
  • Agreed, I always fear coolers snapping off, also the weight makes me wonder if the pressure is uneven or too much on the processor.

I like watercooling in a box, I'm happy with my H80 so far, it works quite well for the past year.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    First photo in the review, of the heat sink fins touching the memory -- I suppose it's too much efort to bend those bottom couple fins up a bit? Or take a grinder and grind off the outer 1/4" of them or so? I'm still kind of "meh" on water cooling.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    That's kind of the point: If you have to take grinders and tools to your heatsink, that's a design problem.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited May 2012
    would like to see how it does when you overclock

cause we all know a retail heatsink can handle stock speeds :)

I overclock my CPU 33%, and why I have a Noctua
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    The usual wisdom of large air coolers applies: gotta do the research to make sure your DIMMs clear the sink. I wouldn't really characterize it as a "design problem."
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    I guess it depends on "problem." I mean, there are scenarios where it works just fine, so it certainly isn't broken. Good design tends to be less of a pain in the ass, though.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Yeah, but people change DIMMs way more often than they change air coolers. My case was exactly that; I had low-profile DIMMs that were fine, but that air cooler came with me for something like three or four generations of motherboards and RAM upgrades. You shouldn't have to limit your DIMM choices because you have a giant heatsink that doesn't clear all DIMMs. I maintain it is poor design, because a good design would accommodate huge DIMMs, or have a pre-cut angle for exactly that scenario.

Anyways, the point is, these problems don't exist with AIO coolers. That's all I was trying to say.
  • SodaSoda Ann Arbor, MI Icrontian
    Question: Have you ever messed around with the Corsair H60 AIO, as it has amazing reviews, and is even cheaper still ($50 if you believe in mail in rebates). The reviews on it convinced me to go AIO instead of air cooler for my next proc upgrade, which will be soon at this point.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited May 2012
    How many of these are actually the same unit? All the Corsair models are rebadged Asetek or Coolit models, and this one looks a lot like the Asetek 570 series.