edited May 2012 in Gaming

Comments

• UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    Ugh. So bad.
  • TheAlertHuskyTheAlertHusky Victoria BC Member
    The new WIIU logo you say?
    http://www.wiiu.org/

But in all seriousness it's a reeeeeally bad logo
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    In 2017 Nintendo will release the Wii U Them.
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited May 2012

Wii U? MORE LIKE PEEYOUUUU AMIRITE????

Seriously though, this name stinks. I'd rather call it the Nintendo Mirage. It actually sounds cool, avoids the tired Nintendo Penis jokes, and it's all the big N will be if they don't step up their game. OH GOSH ALL THE PUNS.
  • GuppyGuppy Warren, MI Icrontian
    That's disappointing, but I can deal with the name if the system has a decent software library.
  • ChoochChurch4252 K-Pop authority™, Pho King Madison Heights, MI Icrontian
    This year E3 will be interesting. I too not a big fan of the name but it is what it is. Gotta deal with it.
    In 2017 Nintendo will release the Wii U Them.
    Good guess, but I'm betting Nintendo will follow Apple's lead and add the letter "S" to the end of the product name.

And thus, the Wii US will be born.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    This name will be a winner in the market, because it's easy to remember, banks on a well-known name and is easily differentiated from its predecessor.
    Meh. People aren't going to buy the Wii U for the name. They're going to buy it because it's Nintendo. It could be called the Wii Asscrack but as long as Nintendo is on it, it'll print money.
  • ChoochChooch K-Pop authority™, Pho King Madison Heights, MI Icrontian
    As long as they release the software comes out for the Wii U, people will buy it. No one in their right mind would buy a new system that doesn't have that strong of a library from the start. For example (and I am guilty for this) The Nintendo 3DS and PlayStation Vita.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited May 2012
    Meh. People aren't going to buy the Wii U for the name. They're going to buy it because it's Nintendo. It could be called the Wii Asscrack but as long as Nintendo is on it, it'll print money.
    This my have been true once, but I don't think it is anymore. The 3DS didn't sell well until after they lowered the price, and I think it was partly because the name was too similar to the DS. Parents saw it and said "don't you already have a DS?"

I've been a diehard Nintendo adherant for years, but even I'm starting to slip lately. The Wii really is underpowered for the marketplace now, and their multi-player matchmaking it too much of a PITA for most American adults. The WiiU isn't a new, more powerful system, it's really just a new way to interact with the Wii and its existing library, something I'm not sure I need right now.

The Japanese market may be another story. I can't speak to that.

But the 3DS has still sold a ton of units, even without a library to back it up. More than it should have, anyways. Regardless, I agree with you. I was just thinking this morning that I haven't bought a Wii game in.... I think it's been about two years now. I haven't even picked up the newest Zelda because the thought of controller waggling has become a negative to me. I can think of only a handful of games on that system that I'd actually care about buying at this point, but the input mechanism keeps me from bothering.
  • The name won't matter. What will matter is the same thing that always matters for a console launch... Are there compelling exclusive titles that gamers want on that platform? If yes, it sells, if no, it flops. The name won't matter.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    Needs more Pikmin 3.
    edited May 2012
    Nintendo Entertainment System. Game Boy. Super Nintendo Entertainment System. Virtual Boy. Nintendo Sixty-Four. Nintendo Game Boy Pocket, Color, and Light. Game Boy Advance, Ess Pee, and Micro. Nintendo Gamecube. Nintendo Dee Ess and Lite. Nintendo Wii. Nintendo Three Dee Ess. Nintendo Wii You.

Thinking about it, Nintendo has always had relatively thoughtless and throwaway console names. Meanwhile, Sony keeps adding numbers, and Microsoft adds geometric definitions. Sega had cool names (Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast), but they don't count anymore.

End of argument: all (successful) game consoles had names that suck.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    The Dreamcast was the best console of all time!!
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    edited May 2012
    The Dreamcast was the best console of all time!!
    And not because of the release titles. ...or any other actual titles on it for that matter.
    edited May 2012
    Obviously because of this.
    edited May 2012

That Dreamcast controller has always looked like an old-school spaceship to me. Needs more pew-pew.