Bethesda announces DOOM 3 BFG Edition

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited May 2012 in Gaming

Comments

• BFG?? more like BFD....
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    What a bizarre maneuver.
  • ChoochChurch4252 K-Pop authority™, Pho King Madison Heights, MI Icrontian
    As long as they didn't remaster it to add The Rock into the game. I am willing to check it out again.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    When I first read the press release, I thought they were saying that the original Doom and Doom II had been remastered with the Doom III engine. That would have been sweet. This is sort of dumb.
  • Doom II was the first PC game I played that didn't come pre-installed on the computer. Bummed they didn't take extra time and care to really improve Doom III. Still might have to try it, though.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    @MomOfRose - Welcome to Icrontic!
  • @Ghoosdum - Thanks! Y'all talk about it so much, I figured it was time I joined all the fun!
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    and DOOM 3 now features the new armor-mounted flashlight, allowing players to illuminate dark corners and blast enemies at the same time
    What a revolutionary concept.

• Honestly, switching between the light and gun was part of what made the game interesting. I know allot of players complained about it, but it was a cool way to build the tension, I'm looking but currently unarmed, made it more interesting.

I'll say this, Doom 3 was a decent game, not amazing, not as mind blowing as promised, but it's just good dumb fun except for when the pacing slows for all the PDA stuff. Ultimately, it does not matter, I don't think anything can compel me to play it again.
  • TheAlertHuskyTheAlertHusky Victoria BC Member
    So I saw this and I nearly dropped my soda. I think that if they kept the flashlight I would be happier though, it added a lot of atmosphere and really made you feel like you had to get good at switching weapons and plan your "mode of attack". Honestly if I had the money to buy this game I would just for the sake of having it.
  • BHHammyBHHammy Somewhere in Hell Icrontian
    I'm -really- surprised at the amount of people here who actually -liked- the Flashlight.

Then again, there were a lot of things about Doom 3 I didn't like.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    I loved Doom 3. But that was 2004. Now if they would have remade the entire Doom Trilogy of games with the Doom 3 engine I would be all over it. As this is, not so much.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    Whoa, @momofrose out of NOWHERE.

2004. What on earth are they doing bringing it back now? Though I loved it, Doom 3 was not received well at the time, and it's aged poorly from what I hear. Especially odd considering there was a port of this on the Xbox already.

Funny though, I thought the fact that you could not have a weapon + flashlight out simultaneously was one of the most brilliant tools of fear in the game, and they've removed it.
  • erichblas2005erichblas2005 Your Native Texan Houston,Texas Member
    I'm not impressed. Still has the same textures as the old one. well i guess they took a lesson from MS on renaming a product like win98-winME. ;)
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    edited May 2012
    I'm -really- surprised at the amount of people here who actually -liked- the Flashlight.
    ^This

The flashlight thing was just a totally artificial restriction, even if you accept Doom's bizarre lack of weapon mounted lights/duct tape there is no reason you couldn't hold a torch in one hand and the pistol in another. It was an arbitrary and immersion breaking restriction just to score some lazy jump scares.
  • GuppyGuppy Warren, MI Icrontian
    Rereleasing a game from nearly 8 years ago with some minor changes is a great way to build hype for Doom 4.

I'm not looking forward to the release because I didn't like the game the first time around. I can't get into a game that has the player fumbling around in the dark looking for the next jump scare. Maybe I'll give it another go sometime, it must get better later in the game.
  • Whoa, @momofrose out of NOWHERE.
    I'm sneaky like that.

Maybe it's just me, but the "jump scare" was the best part! I had an addiction to that pounding heartbeat when I'd hear the boss but not be able to see him.

And my mom thought games like this would corrupt me. HA!
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian

The flashlight thing was just a totally artificial restriction, even if you accept Doom's bizarre lack of weapon mounted lights/duct tape there is no reason you couldn't hold a torch in one hand and the pistol in another. It was an arbitrary and immersion breaking restriction just to score some lazy jump scares.
    Yeah, but that was the POINT of Doom 3. Doom 3 wasn't supposed to be an immersive title in the way modern shooters try, it was built from the start to be a horror experience that will scare the crap out of you.

Maybe it's just me, but the "jump scare" was the best part! I had an addiction to that pounding heartbeat when I'd hear the boss but not be able to see him.

It's this. This is what Doom 3 is about. It's also why so many people hated it, because they just wanted an action shooter. The flashlight WAS an artificial restriction, and it was done to get an emotional response from the players. I thought it was brilliant because it was EXTREMELY effective.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    The flashlight mod was installed as soon as it was available for the sake of my sanity. Why on earth they are resurrecting this?

Cash. Money. Dollar.

By software company, need to recoup investment as game engine licensing isn't what it used to be.
  • ok im a seriously big fan of DOOM DOOM2 DOOM3 and everything ID and i cant beleive what the hell im hearing if you don't like the game move on there are plenty of other things you could be playing no matter how stupid they might be and sure it was too scary for some people who played it but that was the point of the game and if it was to dark you could change the brightness and the contrast along with it but no you cant possibly do that because you decided to be a lazy dick about it and the tension of switching between the flashlight and your weapon added more emotion to the experience and made it yes frightening but yet even more exciting plus the technology was way ahead of its time and made all the other games at that time look like a giant load of outdated dinosaur shit and didn't lack in storyline or gameplay like most of the supposedly great games of today that realy turn out to be peices of highly over-anticipated shit do now and if non of you are smart enough to see that just go play different game like COCK OF DUDEY [and just as a reminder if i were you i would thank our beloved John Carmack and the rest of the awesomely gifted & talented ID CREW because they created the FPS genre that we all love and without doom3 and its epic boost in technology all the the piece of shit games you enjoy today wouldnt exist]
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    This is why people should require a license to use the Internet.
  • wait who are you talking about
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    There can only be one
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    HOLY FREAKING WALL OF TEXT BATMAN
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    WTB punctuation
  • and another thing is is that why do 99.9% of all the newer games suck ass and most of the good games are the ones you dont hear about, in my oppinion its because all the new games are focused highly upon graphics and hardly on gameplay or storyline which makes games suck
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    You're playing the wrong games. Go buy the Humble Bundle 5 and come back.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    periods, question marks, and commas
    It's like I'm really on /v/!
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Press release with release date:
    We’re pleased to announce that DOOM® 3 BFG Edition is slated for release in North America on October 16, 2012 and throughout Europe on October 19, 2012. DOOM 3 BFG Edition will feature re-mastered versions of both DOOM® 3 and the Resurrection of Evil® add-on pack, as well seven new levels of content entitled ‘The Lost Mission.’ DOOM 3 BFG Edition will be available in North America on PC for $29.99 and on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 for $39.99.

Re-mastered for both Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, DOOM 3 and it’s expansion pack offer enhanced visuals further immersing you in the demonic world like never before. DOOM 3, Resurrection of Evil, and ‘The Lost Mission’ have been optimized in 3D, featuring 5.1 surround sound, Xbox 360 Achievements, PlayStation 3 trophies, improved rendering and lighting, and a new check point save system allowing for smoother progression through the game. id Software has fine-tuned the controls to bring the intensity of the DOOM single and multiplayer experience to the consoles, and DOOM 3 now features the new armor-mounted flashlight, allowing players to illuminate dark corners and blast enemies at the same time.