Will the PIN code soon be obsolete?

JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
edited May 2012 in Science & Tech

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    That is pretty awesome. I would think that "traffic" will just be classified as a normal phone call, so how that gets billed will be interesting, but still ... pretty awesome.
  • TheAlertHuskyTheAlertHusky Victoria BC Member
    I am the like :3
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    Good, then I won't have to listen to people say PIN number anymore.
  • maliamalia Sconnie Nation Icrontian
    God I hope this happens. I never remember my PIN :( ATM machines are dead to me. Why are 4 digit numbers so hard??
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Speakers?
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    Good, then I won't have to listen to people say PIN number anymore.
    But why would people talking about the PIN number they use on the ATM machine annoy you?
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    Not to mention as crazy as this sounds, I know people with no phone but internet access. Although this could be unique to the US.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    Using sounds through a phone to authenticate? Is it just me or was this already done a long time ago?....

Handshake anyone?

-Digi
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Apparently you missed my feature image:

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    Wonder what their fallback options are when I lose my phone

or leave it at home

or it doesn't have a charge

or I don't have signal

It's not unsolvable, just wondering what they'll do. It's the fallback options that really determine how useful and secure a two-factor system is.
    Triple security questions or something similar to current fallbacks for PIN issues.
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    So, if someone steals my wallet and phone, they'll be able to get at my money easier than if they had to use something stored in my head? PINs are too short already.

Okay, that was my initial reaction, but then I realized you're talking about instantly-generated second-level authentication that use your phone anyway, not things like ATM PINs. This is pretty neat, but sometimes those come through email, presumably because not everyone can receive texts, or even has a cell phone. As an option, though, I'd love to see it happen.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    Apparently you missed my feature image:
    I am Mr Derp and you are correct.

-Digi

• TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    So what if I left my phone at home or in the car? What if the cell network is temporarily down or I'm in a bad signal service aea? What if there's so much noise around me that the thing can't hear the code cleanly?

What if I didn't pay the cell phone bill and it is shut off? How can I get into my account to get money to pay the cell phone bill if the cell phone is shut off because I haven't paid the bill?

This is just more unnecessary technology. Stick with what works. PIN codes are fine.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited June 2012
    A smart guy like yourself would probably just avoid all of this technological wizardry and go physically to the bank.
    Triple security questions or something similar to current fallbacks for PIN issues.
    Herp derp there is always more than one way to access this