Couch to 5k (or OMG, I'm actually running, and not from a bear, nor am I on fire!)

2»

Comments

• CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    I 100% endorse everything BuddyJ says. Shoes are the best investment you can make in running. They make a world of difference.
  • one234hone234h Downingtown, PA [USA]
    edited May 2012
    @CrazyJoe: You know, I really hate spending money on something only I will get use from since we're on such a budget, but that was honestly the first thing I thought of: running shoes that have some sort of padded soles or something. I think it will help my left knee. I must find a way to acquire them cheaply. Or at least some running *soles*... if that exists. My current shoes are most definitely not fit for running.

@BuddyJ: I can already see where I feel a need for stretching afterwards too.

Thanks for the advice; like a noob, I can't wait for Wednesday. I'm sure by W5 I won't be feeling that way.
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    @one234h

I would seriously recommend going to a shop where they properly fit you for foot strike, even if you can't afford the shoes they have (though if you're not going to buy anything, it would be nice to tip the person who helps you out at least). That way you'll know what your stride is like and can find out what shoes you should get. I've seen some stuff online that detailed what to look for in a shoe for various different criteria, so with a little research you should be able to find the proper shoe at a price you can afford.
    Yeah, I've about 4 "running shoe" tabs going in my browser now. ;)
    @one234h
    it would be nice to tip the person who helps you out at least)..
    Whoa - very good to know. I would not have done that and come across like an ass. Thanks.

There actually is a running store right down the street from me. Downingtown has a shamingly active biking/running/walking your dog constantly but not picking your dog's droppings up you lazy jerk community. Dog leavings aside, I should really get connected more into the local "scene". Look at me, I've run one day and already, I'm using the word "scene".

/preens
    edited May 2012
    You really should. Not only is it a great way to get in shape, but you'll start to meet the other people around. I simply started going outside occasionally and now I know about 2/3 of my neighbors. Community solidarity is, sadly, often overlooked and undervalued.

Also, when you get to know them you might be able to convince them to pick up their dogshit. Gifting* them with a pack of doggie dropping baggie-gloves is a nice subtle hint ;)

*Just don't giftwrap it...that's not subtle, it's sarcastic and asshole-esque. Better to just "noticed you might be out of these".
    Week 2 Day 2: Complete

I'm noticing that by Friday, my lungs are nice and "limber" can I push my full breaths, but come Monday, it takes me half my workout to get my breath back. I think I'm going to have to do *something* on the weekends to keep it up.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited May 2012
    I can already see where I feel a need for stretching afterwards too.
    Dont stretch cold. Walk a couple minutes, jog a couple, then stretch before your run.
    edited May 2012
    W4D2 was punctuated by the arrival of my walking/running shoes in the mail; man, was it worth the wait.

Originally retailing for approx $130, I got a pair of Asics Duomax Gel Kayano 17 running shoes on sale for approx $80 at my local Footlocker. My mom is chipping in for an early Father's Day, so it's not even going to "run" me that much. (See what I did there?) They didn't stock them in the store, so the pair got FedEx'd to my house. The 17's are everything I could ask for in a running shoe and boy, are they comfortable. I'm sure there are more advanced shoes in Footlocker alone, but I just wouldn't appreciate or utilize the difference.

Asics Duomax Gel Kayano 17 Newbie Review
    These are last year's models weighing in at 12.3 oz, according to the manufacturer. Not on sale were the Gel Kayano 18's which were an ounce lighter than these and I'm sure revolutionary, blah blah blah.

After the initial emasculating yet involuntary "SQUEEEEEEEE" which accompanied the unboxing, I donned them immediately. The first thing I noticed visually is that the laces are offset medially- in towards the arch. Not sure if this is universal to all walking/running shoes, or all Asics, or what. It's visually unsettling for me, but an improvement. Also, while trying a few brands out in the store, I noticed that walking/running shoes seem to run narrower than everyday sneakers. I also approve of this.

Tactility speaking, during my run they functioned exactly like I wanted. There are lighter and thinner shoes out there, but I wanted something shock-absorbing and comfortable- just like these. Another mandatory trait the Duomax's exhibit is a higher and reinforced heel.

I do not have enough experience with exercise shoes to speak to the specific, ranked, degree of "breathability" these Asics possess compared to other similarly priced shoes, but it is more than sufficient for me. While I was unable to afford a pair of custom shoes, these keep my foot balanced, supported, cushioned and my stride straight for the right price.

I've sat here for a while trying to think up some con's to the foot-garments to seem more credible, but the improvement over regular sneakers is just too great, and I am too much of a novice runner to be that critical. There are no obvious flaws for my feet.

The Asics Duomax Gel Kayano 17's have become my solemates. Thank you, Icronians, for bringing us together with your encouragement!

[Edited due to lack of posting-impulse-control.]
    Tired of editing. I'm just posting a new comment.

While I didn't get professionally measured, I did come across this chart. I am just over 180 lbs, so I'm near the cut-off and have mid to high arches, so I'm central or a few categories. The shoes I bought are Stability +.
  • DogDragonDogDragon Jacksonville, Fl Icrontian
    Hey since we're doing this 5K let's see if we can get sponsors for it, I mean normally 5ks is done for something so let's
    put something to it other than for just why not. So first thing that come to my mind is ICHQ2 so why don't we run for it.
    ICHQ2 still needs help I'm sure, we can try to get a buck a K and whoever get the most sponsors win. :)
    Well, ICHQ2 win but we all belong to Icrontic so we all win. Just an idea what do you all think?
    Tired of editing. I'm just posting a new comment.

While I didn't get professionally measured, I did come across this chart. I am just over 180 lbs, so I'm near the cut-off and have mid to high arches, so I'm central or a few categories. The shoes I bought are Stability +.
    Link to chart?
    Wooooow. Toootally thought I linked that. Here it is, @midga. I know at least one person is really paying attention. ;)

http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/content/popup.jsp?contentId=200092
    @DogDragon, while I approve of a running for a cause, (and your username), I'd have to wonder where to hold it since many of us are not in the same state.

Any thoughts?

Also, any links to ICHQ2?

Thanks!
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited June 2012
    He is referring to the planned 5k+ that is happening during EXPO this year and asking if we should add it as a sponsored event. I do not personally agree, but others may differ.

ICHQ pics/stories/info are all available at intodetroit.com
    Wooooow. Toootally thought I linked that. Here it is, @midga. I know at least one person is really paying attention. ;)

http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/content/popup.jsp?contentId=200092
    I may suck at actually running, but I can read like a champ! XD