Icrontic

JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
edited May 2012 in Community
Hi.

I just read through the history of Icrontic. I have done so before, and probably will in the future. I joined in March 2007, I think, and I've pretty much stayed ever since. Icrontic is my home away from home. Icrontic has made me happy, and sad. However, it is not Icrontic that makes me stay. It is the members. It has been said before, but a good thing can't be repeated enough; the members of this site are not just a username on a screen. You are my friends, and I regard some of you as close to a family as possible without sharing a last name. I especially wanna personally thank Brian, Matt, Lynx, Shorty, Thrax, Seth, Nick and everyone else who have contributed to making Icrontic what it is today.

I love you all. Thank you.

Comments

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    Hear hear. :cheers:
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited May 2012
    Happy ninth anniversary, folks. :)

<3
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Thanks, @jokke :D

You guys are the best. Best community on the web, period. No contest.
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    Cheers!
    I agree completely, @Jokke. I haven't been active on the forums for very long, but I jumped into IRC back when I roomed with @Drasnor. Back then it was just a fun internet community...I'd been with a good number of those. Now, though, that I live on my own in a fairly remote place where I don't know many people, and don't have much in common with most of the 200k, I've seen what the big deal is. I used to sit around the apartment all depressed and shit (this place eats your soul...), but now I hang out with people I can actually be myself around (I can't do that around /anyone/ within 400 miles) almost every night (and don't even have to put on pants!), and I have real, meaningful relationships with a lot of you.

This isn't something that can happen without effort, but everyone here takes the initiative to make (and keep) it a decent place with decent people who really support and encourage each-other. I haven't even known a lot of you for very long, yet you make me feel so welcome and appreciated as an individual that it feels like it's been many many years. This is a very good, constructive, thing here, and I'm proud to be a part of it. I can't wait for EPIC so hard right now...
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2012
    I don't get mushy very often, but if there's one thing that makes me sentimental with the quickness, it's this place.

I unabashedly and uncompromisingly adore each and every one of you.
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    I would laugh and call this a circlejerk if it was on any other site—IC has something a little special though.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    I stayed for all the free heroin.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    Icrontic is unique. So many folks flame on other forums. Here, heavier flaming is minimized and squelched (we tend to consider that trolling) and folks are respected.

Banter is one thing, but out and out flame-warring is a good way to get banned here-- and that is how it should be. Thanks to all who keep this place running for that.

I do not drive-- and the library is 2 miles away. So, I get on the internet-- this is my home on the
    Internet. I think I have been here for about 8 years now-- at Short-Media and Icrontic combined. I am more a reader and thinker than poster, so I tend to not often add a lot of content here. But thanks to all who make Icrontic work.

John.
  • DogSoldierDogSoldier The heart of radical Amish country..
    edited May 2012
    HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! I joined in 2004 I think.. My memory is kinda hazy. I left somewhere in the middle because of issues, but came back because of the class people and discussions. I visit this place at least once a day, usually more.

Here's how I feel bout dat...

I am more a reader and thinker than poster, so I tend to not often add a lot of content here.
    Because of this, at least to me, your posts seem to really stand out as meaningful and well thought-out. I always like seeing your input :)
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    For this I bring back, The Fresh Prince of Icrontic:
    In Warren, Michigan, born and raised
    on PC games is where I spent most of my days

Chillin out, sunk in a Sumo so cool
    Hittin up some Xbox before I go to school

Then a couple of guys,
    Friends of my Dad said I should
    Come and join them in their online neighborhood

I signed up for an account
    and my Dad found out
    He said "You picked the raddest site on the net, no doubt"

I started up the site
    And what met my eye?
    Tech, Gaming and Life with a Hat on the I

Community is a bunch of amazing guys
    So I threw some bro bows, Living The Icrontic Life

I
    Star
    -ted a thread asking What's a geek?
    The forum members answered
    "Us, with our computer knowledge at peak"

So my Dad has a website,
    I think it's kinda iconic
    At ICHQ, I'm the prince of Icrontic"
    IC is ThebestthebestThebest!

-Digi
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited May 2012
    I've pretty much grown up here, from 16 on at least. Watching the IC Lan badges and shirts add up has been crazy.
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    Samsies to all above posts. I also grew out of adolescence here and I don't want to go anywhere else. Thanks all for making it what it is.
    I am more a reader and thinker than poster, so I tend to not often add a lot of content here.
    Because of this, at least to me, your posts seem to really stand out as meaningful and well thought-out. I always like seeing your input :)
    Thanks, for real.

@BobbyDigi Who wrote that, and is it anecdotal or just a fun song?
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    @BobbyDigi Who wrote that, and is it anecdotal or just a fun song?
    I wrote it. Was the result of a stream of consciousness here in the St. Patty's 2011 thread.

That along with Rexxar The Red Team Spy Crab are two of my greatest achievements here at IC. If there was ever a performance based event at expo, I would preform those two :D

-Digi
    Well, there is a user here named @FreshyP .... :)
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    Nine years and countless marriages, births, and bittersweet moments. We really are a community.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited May 2012
    And here I thought God was the only creator of love and goodness... WRONG. We have all done god's work in creating this community. We have all redefined the stereotypical "internet friend" into something that, to me, means I am more at home with you than with any of my "real life" friends. I may see my real life friends more often but you are my "real" friends... you are the ones I run to when I'm in need of a pick-me-up... where I go to celebrate a new child, where I go to seek guidance with life, technology, and professional issues. I pity those that have only known the same people that they live around, went to school with, or grew up with. The people I've met here at Icrontic have done more to define me than all of my other friends.

I love Icrontic and I am proud to say I've been here since before it was Icrontic and actively helped build Icrontic for over 10 years, even if only in a small way.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited May 2012
    I feel old.

(joined original icrontic in 2000)
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited May 2012
    <3 all of you guys. Much love jokke.

Happy anniversary, Icrontic. May I never forget all you've done for me, and the incredible influence your members have had on my life.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    I feel old.

(joined original icrontic in 2000)
    OLD. I'm a n00b, I didn't join until 2001, when it wasn't even Apu's Hardware any longer.
  • ChoochChooch K-Pop authority™, Pho King Madison Heights, MI Icrontian
    I just want to thank Icrontic for giving me a internet home again. You guys are truly awesome. Happy Anniversary, Icrontic. Best Community Ever!
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited May 2012
    Someone go down into the dungeon and make sure they feed @Nomad, it's a special day and he probably deserves it. Thank you, Icrontic, for putting up with me for 8 years. I apologize to each and every one of you.
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    I've been here, off and on, since before Day 0, when it was just an idea that Keith had talked about between classes in high school. We all thought, "sweet, keith is going to start a new website that will rock and give us something to do"

Jesus H. Christ was that an understatement.

From Day 1 at Apu's Hardware, we had a blast. Ghetto Hardware, flame wars with the Hard boys, threats of lawsuits from the vast numbers of people that we pissed off just by being kids with no limitations and no real goals. Scratch that, the site always had a goal, Keith wanted it to be the best goddamn website on the web. Period. The rest of us were just along for a ride that we thought would soon end. HA!

As high school ended and we drifted apart to college and other things, the site kind of fell off everybody's immediate radar. I stopped contributing and even visiting for a few years as other priorities came into play. When things finally fell apart, leading to Short Media, BBF, and the revised IC, I lost contact with a bunch of y'all. I had joined the crowd that went to BBF (BitBender Forums) and didn't talk much to Keith until shortly before his death. One of my biggest regrets, and something that took me a very long time to get over, was not answering his call that night; I was wasted in Savannah, Georgia, for my 21st birthday and never heard the phone ring. Y'all know the rest.

When I came back, finally, for good, after several years away, it was just as SM and IC became one again; I think it was Celcho who brought me back into the fold. I think it was a bit of therapy for both of us, at least it was for me, to come back to our first virtual home and see the new memories and personalities being built around what our best friend had created.

Now I have a bunch of memories with members new and old. From gamers, to hardware geeks, to the people who just like the site, friends they all are. From doing Irish Car Bombs with Sharky until we could hardly stand, to Chinese Rape Drink, to epic matches of TF2 (at the LAN and on the server). Driving all the way from Florida with DogDragon, non-stop with a highly illegal load of alcohol products in the trunk. Midnight runs to White Castle.

Thank You, Icrontic, for keeping the old memories alive, creating new ones, and for giving us all a place to call home. I don't know where I would be in life right now without y'all, but I do that my life would've been a lot more dull and meaningless without this site.

Thank You.
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    ICRONTIC BAYBEE! WHERE ARE YOU AT?
  • KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian
    9 more years and it's legal.
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    9 more years and it's legal.
    Is there a multiple that can applied to "Internet" years? If so, then maybe its already legal and lookin to score.
    Well, a few months on the internets and you're already old news. This place is probably in its late prime. Pardon the pun.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    I'm actually working on "building" a new server for the site (whereby "building" I mean "instructing techs at our host how to configure a 'cloud' machine for us"). It seems the PHP installation on our current server has become too convoluted to service, so I'm taking the opportunity to upgrade everything and make a super-clean setup. I've dubbed the new instance detroit.icrontic.com. :)