EPIC 2012 Magic: The Gathering (Non-League) Draft

ColgereColgere Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
edited June 2012 in Community
Yup, it’s that time of year again……

EPIC 2012 Magic: The Gathering (Non-League) Draft(s) - This is not the league draft, please see Spencer's Draft League 2012: EPIC thread in the Events forum for info regarding that event!

Note: Info below subject to change as needed.

Date(s): Fri. June 22nd, from 1pm-6pm

Format: Draft, maximum number of players is 16.

Cost: $10

Set: Avacyn Restored (3 packs of Avacyn Restored)

I will be the judge for this event. If you have any questions during the event, raise your hand, call out "Judge", and leave your hand up until I acknowledge you, because I could be dealing with multiple questions at a given time. For the sake of keeping the tournament running smoothly and in a timely manner (as well as my sanity), all rulings made by me are final.

Players are responsible for bringing any sleeves, tokens, dice, counters, etc. they wish to use during this event. I will provide paper and pens for keeping track of life totals and notes.

Draft Structure:
Decks are required to be a minimum of 40 cards, with no maximum. Whatever is not used in your main deck becomes your sideboard. As this is a casual tournament, you may change the cards in your deck between games, meaning you don't have to restore your deck to its initial build at the beginning of each match. You are of course, limited to the cards you draft plus any basic lands. After the draft is completed, players will be given approximately 20 minutes to construct their decks. I anticipate beginning play approximately one hour after the start of the draft.

The draft will be composed of 3 packs of Avacyn Restored and packs will be passed in a left-right-left manner. This means when drafting pack #1, you will pick a card and then pass the pack to the left, for pack #2, you will pass to the right, and then for pack #3, you will pass to the left again.

Tournament Structure:
Each round lasts 50 minutes and there will be 3 rounds total. This will be a round-robin tournament, meaning even if you lose, you get to continue playing. Each match during each round will be played on a best 2 out of 3 basis. If a given match goes to time, the active player will finish his/her turn, and then the match will continue for 5 additional turns total (not for each player.) If the current game is not finished at the end of the 5 turns, that game will be declared a draw. The point value for each match (not game) result possible is given below:

Match Win = 3 points
Match Draw = 1 point
Match Loss = 0 points

At the end of three rounds, the person with the highest point total for a given draft will be the winner. In the case of a tie, the first tiebreaker will be the head to head result (if applicable). The second tiebreaker will be their respective opponents’ win/loss records. If still tied, there will be a one game (not a whole match, just one game!) playoff.

Prizes:
Ok, the part everyone really cares about!

First, tickets (if any) awarded for this event will be distributed as per standard EPIC rules, with any additional tickets to be awarded according to event results. Also as usual, I will be sponsoring additional prizes for the participants in this event.

Additional prizes listed below:

1st: The entire set of the Archenemy deck series (That's right, all four decks!); for those who have played the Duels of the Planeswalker 2012 game on Steam, you have likely played this format before. For those who have not, here's an article that does a good job explaining what it is.

2nd: 1 Duel Deck: Knights vs. Dragons

3rd & 4th: 1 Duel Deck: Ajani vs. Nicol Bolas & 1 Duel Deck: Venser vs. Koth.
3rd place gets to choose which one they want and 4th place gets the other Duel Deck.

Also something new this year, I will be giving out at least one secret door prize randomly, maybe more depending on how many people sign up.

I will close signup for this on Friday, June 15th at 6pm. This will give me time to get the product. I'm also going to answer a couple questions ahead of time, and will update this as needed.

Q. Do I get to keep the cards I draft?
A. Yes, regardless of how you do, the cards you draft are yours.

Q. Do I need to bring lands, or will they be provided?
A. They will be provided. I have plenty.

Please post in this thread if you wish to sign up for the draft. Also, post in this thread with any other questions you may have, and I will arrange to update this post with the answer. Remember, this is a casual event, so have fun!

Participants:

Comments

• ColgereColgere Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
    edited June 2012
    Paging the following people who participated last year: @mertesn , @Zanthian , @Lincoln , @CB , @BobbyDigi , @SpencerForHire , @Winfrey , @QCH , @sharkydart, @CrazyJoe , @MAGIC , @CannonFodder
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    In, like duh.
    In, like duh.
    Wow, it took you 2 minutes to respond. Slowing down a little are we? ;D
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    In
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    In
  • SpencerForHireSpencerForHire Clawson, MI
    edited June 2012
    In.

Also, only minor disappointment it's not DII, I just really wanted to get somebody Lost in the Woods.
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    Thinking about it...haven't really played since Ravnica.
    Wow, it took you 2 minutes to respond. Slowing down a little are we? ;D
    The magic of interactive notifications when you get mentioned! :D
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    In

-Digi
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    In
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    Also be up for selling a lot of my old cards again this year...
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    In.
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    In
  • sharkydartsharkydart KY Icrontian
    In
    Just a reminder, only 2 days left to sign up for this event. Registration will end Friday at 6pm.
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    I'm going to limit myself to one MTG event this time. Good luck to everyone!
    I'm going to limit myself to one MTG event this time.
    Poor choice :p

1. Lincoln
    2. mertesn
    3. MAGIC
    4. SpencerForHire
    5. BobbyDigi
    6. QCH
    7. CB
    8. Zanthian
    9. sharkydart
    10. Colgere

Since we had an odd number (nine) sign up, I will also be participating in order to ensure no one has to sit out a round (since they can last an hour, and that would be boring). However, I am ineligible for any prizes, and if I were to finish in a place that would award a prize, that prize will go down to the next person in the final standings.

Looking forward to seeing everyone in a few days!
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    I missed the signups, but I would be willing to take the spot Ben was going to use under the same conditions as last year. If someone were to pay my entry fee I'd let them keep any cards I got and/or won. I don't have anyone here in Florida to play so physical cards wouldn't do my much good.
    Sorry for the delay in responding, getting caught up from the weekend. I'll go ahead and pay for you Joe, and you can take my spot. I'll take any cards you draft, but any prizes you win will pass down to the next person.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    Fair enough. Looking forward to it.