Computex 2012 Day One

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited June 2012 in Science & Tech

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Looking forward to the write ups with much enthusiasm.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    I would like to see them also.... :)

How does one do 8 SSDs in RAID?
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    Attach them to a RAID card that has 8 SATA ports.
    Ok, will Google that. I have seen mobos for desktop use that have 6 SATA ports this year.
  • EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    Enjoying following you on Twitter for all the language/travel/culture tidbits.
    Ok, will Google that. I have seen mobos for desktop use that have 6 SATA ports this year.
    Only thing I have seen with 8 or more ports are add in PCI-e cards. Areca 1880 series, LSI 9265, etc.

Only thing I have seen with 8 or more ports are add in PCI-e cards. Areca 1880 series, LSI 9265, etc.
    I was wondering how Plextor did their RAID of 8 SSDs, to start with. Then I thought what about the new motherboards for this year.... Thanks for the info, though, as prices are out the roof for high-capacity SATA RAID cards plus SSD drives compared to my budget. Maybe I will hold that thought for a year or two.

• MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    I was wondering how Plextor did their RAID of 8 SSDs, to start with. Then I thought what about the new motherboards for this year.... Thanks for the info, though, as prices are out the roof for high-capacity SATA RAID cards plus SSD drives compared to my budget. Maybe I will hold that thought for a year or two.

With the apparent emphasis on SSDs I think you can expect the prices to continue down as more players/higher production kicks in.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    To be able to RAID that many disks at the hardware level, you'd need a specialized controller at least. Even with 6, which many of the high-end boards support these days, you'd still only be able to do it in software, and even then probably only at RAID-0, which is a really fast way to losing a ton of data.
    With the apparent emphasis on SSDs I think you can expect the prices to continue down as more players/higher production kicks in.
    I think that also, and my motherboard in the desktop has four SATA ports on it. I do not need much of a SSD in size for it right now, and use a USB 2.0 external for backup (my trusty old WD external) for that computer right now.

• fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited June 2012
    To be able to RAID that many disks at the hardware level, you'd need a specialized controller at least. Even with 6, which many of the high-end boards support these days, you'd still only be able to do it in software, and even then probably only at RAID-0, which is a really fast way to losing a ton of data.
    most boards support Raid 0,1,5,10. software of course

and there are X79/990FX/A75 boards with 8x SATA 6Gb/s connectors
  • GargGargoyle Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited June 2012
    You'd want an add-in board for proper RAID, anyway. Motherboard raid is lower performance (what people really mean when they say software RAID), and good luck taking it with you if you upgrade your rig.
    With 2 different controllers on them. 990FX and A75 have 6 native SATA 6Gb and X79 has 2. The others (to make your 8) are on different controllers, thus you can't RAID all 8 drives.

• fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    With 2 different controllers on them. 990FX and A75 have 6 native SATA 6Gb and X79 has 2. The others (to make your 8) are on different controllers, thus you can't RAID all 8 drives.

correct. but you can Raid0 on two and then Raid5 on the others. performance and peace of mind(sorta) :)