EPIC 2012 Phone Hacking: $25

ThraxThrax 🐌Austin, TX Icrontian
edited June 2012 in Community
Hacking a phone carries certain inherent risks. In the event of a bricked phone, we will agree to go 50/50 on the cost of a replacement.

As many of you know, I am pretty handy with this here Android thing. I also enjoy rooting/hacking them as a hobby.

For $25, I will do the following:
  • Root your device: Provides superuser access to the OS. This is like running as an administrator in Windows, and it gives you access to all sorts of fun things like WiFi tethering, application/data backups, etc.
  • Enable S-OFF: Makes root permanent by disabling the read-only protection on the Android /system partition. Gaining root access modifies these files, but without S-OFF, the changes are wiped after reboot.
  • Load custom firmware: In this crazy world of Android 4.x, I might load CM9, or AOKP, or one of many other ROMs that are available for each device.
  • (Possibly) Load a custom kernel: An Android device's kernel is the bridge between the Android OS and the hardware. A new kernel can unlock additional overclocking options, extend battery life, improve performance, or do a combination of all three. Not all devices need a new kernel, and not all devices have been around long enough for the development of one.
  • BONUS! Tweak your device: With root and custom firmware, a world of performance, usability and functionality tweaks are opened to you. I'll set the ones that every device should have, then work with you to go through the ones that are really up to user preference. This also includes applications that only work with root.
I will not support Sony devices or the HTC One family. If you have a Motorola device, please speak with me first.

Comments

• CBCB ΖΈΜ΅Μ‘ΣœΜ΅Μ¨Μ„Ζ· Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    Do we need to make an appointment?
    My GNex is in need of a good rooting. I miss wireless tethering. It's been a lot harder to get work done on the road for the last month or so.
    Also: I'll be taking advantage of my lifetime service agreement on the Nook Color you did for me last year, to get whatever updates it needs. :)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Just drop it off whenever. No problem on the nook.
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    What are the reasons for why you're offering no love for Sony devices?
    edited June 2012
    Because the community stinks, and they're a pain in my ass to hack.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    cud u jailbrake my iphone lol

But seriously, how come the HTC One is on the forbidden list? Didn't someone just come out with a one-step root for it?
    International version last I read, but I'd feel bad charging just for root. It's the least significant part of this process.
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    Mehbeh.
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    It's very likely I'll be taking you up on this on my Galaxy S Captivate, but we'll need to talk about it first. If it's worth it enough, I'll likely even get a new battery for it. Will probably shoot you a PM before EPIC.
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    can you "un-break" my galaxy s 2 international version. Everytime i connect it to my computer in download mode, my computer would show unknown usb device, i can't use odin to flash it anymore.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    can you "un-break" my galaxy s 2 international version. Everytime i connect it to my computer in download mode, my computer would show unknown usb device, i can't use odin to flash it anymore.
    You in town?
    i'm in GR, not in detroit.
    Sounds like broken drivers.
    Sounds like broken drivers.
    reinstalled drivers multiple times, and tried on a dozen of different computers with the same result.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    If I had enough time to prepare, I could assist with Kindle Fire hacking, as well. The utilities and main 3.0 kernel are in a very stable state right now and even allow for a relatively easy flash back to stock.

I'll bring my ICS (CM9) KF to EPIC if anyone is interested in checking it out.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited June 2012
    Can you hack my HTC Evo Design 4G piece of shit and give it a good radio? (and ICS?)
    I dunno. I'll look into it.